Need some gpu pointers

• Thread starter WarMachine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WarMachine

Reaction score
So i've found a good deal on a GTX 1080, but it's branded Lenovo. I'm waiting on a response from the seller(s) to see if these came from a Lenovo desktop (im assuming). I've also messaged Lenovo's parts department to ask this question, still waiting on a response. Does anyone know if something like this would be compatible with a Gigabyte B450M DS3H motherboard? As long as its ran on the same PCI-E setup as the card shows, i don't see why not. What has me concerned is the Lenovo branding on it. As in, would it be married to the PC it came from and i'd be SOL?

EDIT: As always, i googled the fuck out of this before asking btw..

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Generally speaking, any modern-ish video card should be compatible with any modern-ish motherboard. Like you say, as long as it's got the PCIe slot, and enough power (including the PCIe power plugs if you need em), you're good. The OEM / branded / variations / etc are mostly just different coolers on top of the same guts, but as far as I'm aware there are no "locked" or "married" PC parts this way. (That kind of pairing does happen with console parts, I guess to prevent piracy, but I've never seen it on PC parts.)

I recently did something similar - I got a relatively good deal on a 3080, because it's one that was pulled out of an Alienware desktop - and it's replacing a 1080.

One thing to watch for is how hot some cards can get if they're a cheaper brand. The 3080 I just got sounded like a jet engine 'cause it runs stupidly hot out of the box, so I had to make some minor adjustments to the way the paste was applied to get it to run cool down properly.

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
I agree with @TedEH, usually your power supply is going to be the bigger limiter if you did plan on a big gpu during the build but a 1070/1080 isn’t too crazy.