Need your mix critics

• Thread starter Casper777
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Casper777

Slow Player
Reaction score
Hello!

As always seeking critics and views on my mixing work...

That's my band's last song, part of our new EP !

Recorded and mixed in my home studio

All guitars recorded with my Kemper

Cubase Elements 7
Motu Track 16
EzDrummer 2 with a Roland TD-9
Behringer 3030 monitors

Master bas beeen done at 4D Sounds in UK

https://soundcloud.com/sugarfields/i-never-thought-i-could-have-died-a-saturday

Let me know what you think

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

col

blah.
Reaction score
Everything else sounds very good, but the high gain guitars have way too much midrange going on, they sound small and annoying. Plus they step on the vocals because of it.

Edit: Actually the vocals are pretty buried during the clean parts as well.

Casper777

Slow Player
Reaction score
Everything else sounds very good, but the high gain guitars have way too much midrange going on, they sound small and annoying. Plus they step on the vocals because of it.

Edit: Actually the vocals are pretty buried during the clean parts as well.

Thanks for the input... Will definitively have a look at the guitars EQ... That's the EQ I use for live settings, maybe in the studio I could scoop the kids a bit more

And the vocals sounds way more "buried" that they did on my monitors... :( you're right...

ZachK

Ronda Rousey Fanboy
Reaction score
Vocals are buried as stated above.

The organ sound isn't pleasant to me. Needs to be wider and have a bit more of the frequency spectrum. More lows to be specific.

I do like the track from a musical perspective, can't wait to hear it finished!

Descent

Reaction score
the acoustic guitars at about 0:40 sound thin and buzzy, no body to them.

The vocals are pitchy on the clean part, you'd have to auto-tune this, it is quite apparent. They are also very low in the mix.

I feel the guitars are too loud in the mix overall and could be easily about 3db lower.

Not a fan of the kick, it is too mechanical...but I guess it works for the genre.

I wouldn't mind hearing some depth on the distorted guitars and as already mentioned the mids are overbearing. Around 5:00 they're plain annoying.

I'd hate to break any bands but I think overall you'd be much better off with another vocalist altogether. Sounds to me like the guy just doesn't have the voice to carry the tune. Maybe if you can try a bit of a weird Voivod type of effected approach or just go for someone that can hold the tune better.

The lead also too dry for my taste. It seems that there isn't much depth to the mix so I wouldn't mind hearing a bit more spacial effects.

That's pretty much it.

Casper777

Slow Player
Reaction score
the acoustic guitars at about 0:40 sound thin and buzzy, no body to them.

The vocals are pitchy on the clean part, you'd have to auto-tune this, it is quite apparent. They are also very low in the mix.

I feel the guitars are too loud in the mix overall and could be easily about 3db lower.

Not a fan of the kick, it is too mechanical...but I guess it works for the genre.

I wouldn't mind hearing some depth on the distorted guitars and as already mentioned the mids are overbearing. Around 5:00 they're plain annoying.

I'd hate to break any bands but I think overall you'd be much better off with another vocalist altogether. Sounds to me like the guy just doesn't have the voice to carry the tune. Maybe if you can try a bit of a weird Voivod type of effected approach or just go for someone that can hold the tune better.

The lead also too dry for my taste. It seems that there isn't much depth to the mix so I wouldn't mind hearing a bit more spacial effects.

That's pretty much it.

Hey thanks for the honest review!

Well I'll certainly take all these into consideration for the next mix!! What annoys me the most is the final levels of the vocals (too low) relative to the guitars (too high). Will be a bit more careful with EQing also.

As for the singer (who also is the bassist), it's a very long debate... we all know (including himself) he's not really great ;) 2/3 of people usually really don't like the vocals, however a strange 1/3 just LOVE it... :lol: Guess these slight out of tune style has become part of our sound... for the good and the bad....