Nervous about jamming

• Thread starter ak33
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ak33

Lefty
Reaction score
So basically Im talking with a guy I knew from highschool and his metal band is looking for a rhythm player. The problem is i've never been in a real band or jammed with other ppl that much. I'm kinda nervous... :ugh:

any ideas to overcome this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

telecaster90

Smokestack Lightning
Contributor
Reaction score
Just know your shit and appear to be confident. Honestly, your attitude towards it is half of the battle.

Reaction score
Just know your shit and appear to be confident. Honestly, your attitude towards it is half of the battle.

But dont be too confident and cocky, and be like "LOLWUT I KNOW IT ALL", I dont think people mind playing with people worse than them at all its just when those people always insist on knowing everything ever, kind of like my local metalcore kid...he told me Atreyu is black metal! :wallbash:

AZ7

Hello World
Reaction score
Practice, practice, practice, be yourself, and most of all, have fun!!! :yesway:

Arminius

Reaction score
+1 :agreed:

Also, if they ask you to play something original, or contribute something, play YOUR music, not what you think they would like. And if you don't like their music, leave. I still have nightmares from the "southern rock" and "contemporary soft rock" bands i tried out for.:noplease:

But most of all, just enjoy it!:shred:

Wiz

Reaction score
I think the idea is to go in with a beginner's mind, be humble and try to learn as much as you can from the experience without trying to show off. If you're not yet petrucci's little brother, that is fine and I don't think you should pretending to be one, as it will not really make other people appreciate it.

Reaction score
thanks guys. I'm just worried they might not like my style.

The worst thats going to happen is that they say you're different from what they're looking for but your a capable player. I doubt they would get all assinine about your ability and start speaking 1337 and screaming at you to leave.

telecaster90

Smokestack Lightning
Contributor
Reaction score
But dont be too confident and cocky, and be like "LOLWUT I KNOW IT ALL", I dont think people mind playing with people worse than them at all its just when those people always insist on knowing everything ever, kind of like my local metalcore kid...he told me Atreyu is black metal! :wallbash:

Of course, there's a difference between being confident and being a cocky toolbag :yesway: Confidence is simply believing in your ability to do something.

ak33

Lefty
Reaction score
I'll just be myself and not take myself too seriously... it's just hard not to get nervous thinking they will hate my style/tone.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
I'll just be myself and not take myself too seriously... it's just hard not to get nervous thinking they will hate my style/tone.

If they hate your style, then you shouldn't be in that band. You should be in a band with people who DO like your style. If they hate your tone, then the question is whether there is a problem with your tone or not. If there is a problem with your tone, you can always change it. If there isn't, maybe you can compromise.

Good music is oftentimes made by people with different styles mixing those styles together and coming up with something completely different.

Sroth Saraiel

BC Rich 7 Strings :)
Reaction score
Just Practice Practice and practice

and yes... you are going to be hell-nervous from now until 1 second before getting on the stage.... after that.... IT'S ALL GOOD, enjoy it man, don't stress, there's nothing better!

cheers

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Just get really drunk so you can hardly play, and steal shit on the way out. Wait, is that the drummer or bass player that's supposed to do that? Nevermind.

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
Generally, when I try out for a band I try and see if I can get to hear what they sound like before hand. If I dont like the style I say no straight away. No point wasting others time.

If I do like it, I jam with the songs till I think I can contribute something to it (may / may not have that much time); Probably some subtle licks and maybe some interesting change in riffs and/or solo.

If I find that the other guitarist is the "lead guitarist" and somewhat iffy with someone else playing leads, I'll just add dynamics to the songs riffs (occasional pinch, power chords with 5th in root, add9 for a more dense effect if it sounds good). Otherwise I'd like to trade solos with him.

When you get there, generally they'd ask you what you know. You can either say, "lets jam off <your comfort song here>" or lets jam on "Am-G-F" progression. After that I find they generally play their own stuff. At that point you can say you are familiar (if you do) with song "such-and-such" and then jam along.

Remeber to have fun. If its metal: headbang. Its generally more fun to have a lively person than to have someone just chuggin 8th notes standing stiff as a statue.

If nothing else, you can learn stuff from the band. Their styles, approach and what not to do and what to do.

And dont take rejection personally. I can't stress that enough.

march

Reaction score
Minor detail, but if you're not used to play standing, with a strap, make sure you do not wear it too low. Nothing worse than wasting your hard-earned playing abilities by trying to look "good".

Saw a clinic sort of thing by Joe Stump once, love(d) the guy's playing, but then he started on how some players look silly/stupid when they wear their guitar high ... call me susceptible or impulsive, but I left at that point.

GazPots

Is A Complete Idiot.
Reaction score
I used to be nervous about jamming with people. Always fretting about hitting the wrong note, playing in the wrong key, failing badly. The more you play the easier it gets. Once you get past the initial confidence barrier it gets a hell of a lot easier and natural.

And if the guys you are jamming with are decent they'll allow you to just be yourself and have fun. Sure you'll get something wrong eventually (nobody's perfect) but just gotta laugh it off and keep going. If you try something and it doesn't work, then you'll remember what not to do next time. A "lesson learned" sort of thing.

Most important thing is to enjoy yourself and don't worry about it so much you hate the jam.

Jamming is probably up there on my list of most awesome musical things to do. Plus you can get away with doing pretty much what the fuck you want. :lol:

If not just call it Jazz. :lol: :nono: :ugh:

Edit - As for the strap, just sit it where you can comfortably play and go from there. If you get a high strap comment, bust out the most ridiculous thing since paul gilberts ass sweep and show em who's the daddy. ;) :lol: