Nervous about jamming

• Thread starter ak33
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

heavy7-665

Reaction score
i was nervous as shit before i first jammed with my current drummer. but that went away soon cause 1. he had never seen a 7 string and 2. he had (and i quote) "never seen fingers move like that!!!"

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MorbidTravis

Banned
Reaction score
i was nervous as shit before i first jammed with my current drummer. but that went away soon cause 1. he had never seen a 7 string and 2. he had (and i quote) "never seen fingers move like that!!!"

Lol same thing about number 2 with be bro. He was like, he do i play along with that?

thedownside

Reaction score
thanks guys. I'm just worried they might not like my style.

as mentioned before, if they dont like your style, then it's not the band for you, move on to another. dont be afraid to ask for help with parts, or dialing in a decent tone. i've tried out a bunch of other musicians over the years, and one of the things i enjoy the most, and you can get with that first impression, is someone you can work with. you need that. now dont ask for help with every little thing, but getting there feedback and opinons shows that you wanna work with them.

and styles may clash, but often that can work for the bands benifit after figuring it out. me and our old guitarist/now bassist, dont listen to the same stuff. but our 2 styles work great together now that we've figured out how.

and for the nerves, get used to it! haha.. i've played a few hundred shows over the years, i still get the nerves before every one. but play off it, it's energy, energy is good! and have fun!

Koshchei

Banned
Reaction score
So basically Im talking with a guy I knew from highschool and his metal band is looking for a rhythm player. The problem is i've never been in a real band or jammed with other ppl that much. I'm kinda nervous... :ugh:

any ideas to overcome this?

Don't worry about fucking up - you will, but so what? We learn by doing.

What I hate most about jamming is the people who pull out a set list of things they want to play note-for-note. It's not jamming if they want to rehearse - it's rehearsing. The worst is when they don't have the confidence to just try some unscripted shit out and bring a list of stuff you don't know. That's when it's time to bail.

Word of advice: Do NOT let them play through, or even touch your gear in the above situation.