New Amon Amarth album: Berserker

• Thread starter Alex79
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MetalHex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Idk what it is....I love melodeath so I should love this band but, for some reason I dont. Maybe it's because they go overkill with the viking thing. Maybe it's too generic sounding

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I listened to it once on Saturday and I felt like it was just more of the same. I did a bunch of chores while listening so I didn't pay too much attention to it, but the parts I heard sounded just like they've always sounded. I didn't really notice anything wrong with it either though, so I'll give it a few more spins for sure.
They've always been a consistently mediocre band IMO, I don't mind listening to them but I don't get particularly excited about pretty much any of their material either.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I have missed the last 2 or 3 albums. In high school they were a top 5 band for me, with "death in fire" on heavy rotation. Once they started getting more technical musically, I started drifting. I'll check this out because it's been a minute and see what's up.

I also need a disc drive so I can rip the 4 albums of theirs I own :lol:.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
It's alright, but nothing has truly grabbed me from them like Vs The World and everything prior did. Jomsviking came close but that's really about it.

Alex79

Reaction score
I listened a lot to Deceiver and Jomsviking in the gym, so a new Amon Amarth album is a welcome addition to that playlist. The next workout is tomorrow. So far, not so many songs from the new album have stuck in my head, I'll see if that changes tomorrow.

BusinessMan

Reaction score
I like it a lot. I got a signed copy at the slayer show. I really like mjolnir Thor’s hammer, fafners gold, and into the dark

Descent

Reaction score
I am waiting on the CD...they were sold at on release date at Amazon so that's good news I guess :)

KailM

Reaction score
I’ve gotten about halfway through the album now and am honestly struggling to find a reason to listen to the rest of it.

Just really dull, bland, and very cookie-cutter for them. I felt the same about Jomsviking, although I actually enjoyed it at first and bought it. I very quickly got bored of it though. Their production and formula is getting way too safe, clean, and commercial for my tastes.

I want to hear songs like “Twilight of the Thunder God” and pretty much everything off the “With Oden...” album.

Live, hell yes I’d go see them in a heartbeat.

zappatton2

Reaction score
Amon Amarth is the AC/DC of metal, but I still dig it.
Ah man, my cousin used to say the exact same thing. They never redefined the genre, took serious creative risks, by man can they write a riff. I'll need to check this out.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve gotten about halfway through the album now and am honestly struggling to find a reason to listen to the rest of it.

Just really dull, bland, and very cookie-cutter for them. I felt the same about Jomsviking, although I actually enjoyed it at first and bought it. I very quickly got bored of it though. Their production and formula is getting way too safe, clean, and commercial for my tastes.

I want to hear songs like “Twilight of the Thunder God” and pretty much everything off the “With Oden...” album.

Live, hell yes I’d go see them in a heartbeat.

Twilight is an amazing album, still spin the shit out of it. Had a certain edge/rawness to it.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I always really like With Oden On Our Side as a whole, but most of their albums tend to be full of "ok" songs with some really good ones mixed in. I'm ok with that though. As already stated, you know what you're gonna get, and that's a plus in my mind.