New amp decisions... Help?

• Thread starter maxturbator
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

maxturbator

Reaction score
So, I've had an ENGL Fireball 100 for the past few years and am looking for something different. I play mostly progressive metal stuff - think Opeth meets Periphery. There's nothing wrong with the Fireball, necessarily, but I'm looking for something new.

Budget is around $1500, but I'd be willing to go up to $1800 for the right amp. I've been considering the Blackmore, Archon, 5150 III, Ironheart, or even a VH100R. I'm leaning pretty heavily towards the Archon; probably because all of the hype...but does anyone have any personal experience with any of these to sway me one way or the other? I have a fear of downgrading. I recognize that the Fireball is a great amp, and I don't dislike it, but I'm tired of it. Suggestions?

Thanks, guys :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bouVIP

Reaction score
I have an Archon and it can definitely do Progressive Metal. It's got some really nice mids and distortion. There's a video of Misha using it and he got a really good sound for the Periphery sort of sound!

maxturbator

Reaction score
Do either of you have any sound clips? I've watched some YouTube demos, but it's hard to judge.

bouVIP

Reaction score
Sorry, don't have the set up to record tube amps.

Infused1

Reaction score
Id say go Archon or Mesa Dual or Triple Rectifier. All of them are pretty versatile once you get the hang of them, especially the Multi Watt rectifiers. Still playing with different sounds with my Triple.

maxturbator

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. A friend of mine has a Dual Rec that I borrowed, and I didn't get along with it. Just wasn't my thing.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
So, I've had an ENGL Fireball 100 for the past few years and am looking for something different. I play mostly progressive metal stuff - think Opeth meets Periphery. There's nothing wrong with the Fireball, necessarily, but I'm looking for something new.

Budget is around $1500, but I'd be willing to go up to $1800 for the right amp. I've been considering the Blackmore, Archon, 5150 III, Ironheart, or even a VH100R. I'm leaning pretty heavily towards the Archon; probably because all of the hype...but does anyone have any personal experience with any of these to sway me one way or the other? I have a fear of downgrading. I recognize that the Fireball is a great amp, and I don't dislike it, but I'm tired of it. Suggestions?

Thanks, guys :hbang:

Out of curiosity; Do you boost it? (do you even lift bro?:lol:)
Just wondering, I've read many saying they don't find the need with the Engl.

maxturbator

Reaction score
I do boost it. It's definitely not crucial for a good tone out of it, but I like the flavor it adds.

protest

Reaction score
How much saturation do you need in your tone? Is that something you like about the Engl, or are you looking for less saturation?

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
I can see it as not so much the ENGL doens't meet your needs, but are just looking for a different sound. Story of my life. The Archon has been thoroughly praised, with only ultra brutal high gain folks not completely digging it. I think it's a good choice for what you are after, with a different voice.

oracles

Reaction score
The Archon is a great choice, and so is the Blackmore. I've often thought the Blackmore is the dark horse of the ENGL line, but it's surprisingly versatile, and has a mountain of gain of tap.

maxturbator

Reaction score
I can see it as not so much the ENGL doens't meet your needs, but are just looking for a different sound. Story of my life. The Archon has been thoroughly praised, with only ultra brutal high gain folks not completely digging it. I think it's a good choice for what you are after, with a different voice.

Exactly. It looks like I'll be getting an Archon pretty soon, pending the sale of the Fireball tomorrow. :D

Infused1

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. A friend of mine has a Dual Rec that I borrowed, and I didn't get along with it. Just wasn't my thing.

Which version was it? The older 3 channels are different, but the 2 channel was the best of them and the new multi watt sounds a lot more like it.

Im on the Triple though and it does have a flavor with more oooomf than the Dual. I dont like the dual as much as the triple and Ive played both side by side. Is there anywhere you can try the Mesa Triple Multi Watt?

MistaSnowman

Play It LOUD!!!
Reaction score
For me, it would be between the Archon and the 5153. I tested out both of the 50w combos at Guitar Center last night and were impressed with both amps.

maxturbator

Reaction score
Which version was it? The older 3 channels are different, but the 2 channel was the best of them and the new multi watt sounds a lot more like it.

Im on the Triple though and it does have a flavor with more oooomf than the Dual. I dont like the dual as much as the triple and Ive played both side by side. Is there anywhere you can try the Mesa Triple Multi Watt?

An older three channel one... There's actually a Mesa store in Hollywood I'd be able to test drive some amps at. But I'm really not keen on Mesas for the most part. The Royal Atlantic has intrigued me a bit, though, and there's a pretty sweet deal on one on Reverb right now.

Anyway, the Fireball buyer flaked today. His excuse: "I don't have enough money." But you had it when you confirmed to come get it, and double and triple checked that we were still on all week? :nuts: Soooo, I'll be postponing any NADs a while longer it seems. Bummer. This thing is hard to move.

Lord Macragge

Reaction score
Have you looked at the rivera stuff? A used knucklehead tre is difinetly in your budget; I see them on guitar center used all the time. I've never personally played one, but when i saw Anthrax a couple years ago, I could see Donais had a rack full of Rivera gear. His tone cut like a razor blade. If you are looking for the saturation of an engl with a broader range of frequencies, I'm not sure there's anything better in that price rance. Rivera's are also known for uncompromising pristine cleans. Hope you have better luck finding someone to take that engl off your hands.