New Amp Head? (Mesa Mark V 25 vs ???)

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
I have a Mark V:25. It's a great amp. Fantastic cleans, fantastic Crunch, fantastic high gain. Will said the 35 gives way more volume. That may or may not be true, I haven't tried the 35. But I can say the 25 gets very loud even through the 1X12 cab. I haven't run mine through my 2x12. As much as I love its tone, I'm considering selling it.

The things I don't like:
1) The Crunch mode is on channel 1 so I can't switch quickly between clean and Crunch. Crunch is my favorite mode on the amp.
2) I wish it was 3 channels (goes with number 1)
3) I wish it was organically MIDI capable

Those things really aren't true showstoppers, but I'm planning on a stereo rig with the TC-50 and a Peavey Invective. so I consider selling it but every time I look at it I think about how awesome that little amp is and wonder if I should just keep it.

I've owned both the 25 and 35, and I definitely disagree that the 35 is a lot louder. Maybe a little more clean room. Certainly not worth the increase in cost/weight/size. I'd much rather get the 25w, and a Fryette Power Station if I need more juice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
just gonna butt in to mention the Engl Ironball, because it deserves it and it should be in the same price range as the Mark V depending where you live. i've owned one for a little over a year. the cleans are very crystally, it does a very convincing crunch and the high gain + gain boost is ungodly.

this video is quite accurate, thpugh his guitar is slightly out of tune in the lower strings which takes away a bit of the amp's amazing string separation.

Last edited:

Eden

Reaction score
Gonna bump this again

So I've been saving up still and keeping my eye on reverb, and I have noticed a decent amount of the full 90w Mark Vs going for 1400 - 1500, which for what you get compared to the 25w, is incredible. So I'm really thinking about getting the full head when I'm saved up, the only thing stopping me is this: Can you still get that amp quiet to bedroom/home practice? I know you can adjust the wattage for each channel, but I'm wondering if anyone here who has one or played one can confirm, I'd be super grateful.

On a related note, I can't find any 35w used at all, are they just that much better that no one is selling theirs?

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score
Gonna bump this again

So I've been saving up still and keeping my eye on reverb, and I have noticed a decent amount of the full 90w Mark Vs going for 1400 - 1500, which for what you get compared to the 25w, is incredible. So I'm really thinking about getting the full head when I'm saved up, the only thing stopping me is this: Can you still get that amp quiet to bedroom/home practice? I know you can adjust the wattage for each channel, but I'm wondering if anyone here who has one or played one can confirm, I'd be super grateful.

On a related note, I can't find any 35w used at all, are they just that much better that no one is selling theirs?

The 35 was a more recent release and since the 90 watt had been out for so long people buying a 35 watt know thats what they want, wheras some people bought the 90 and then the TC100 came out, and the Invective and so on and so forth, and the JP2C lots of other amps to compete with the 90 watt.

Eden

Reaction score
The 35 was a more recent release and since the 90 watt had been out for so long people buying a 35 watt know thats what they want, wheras some people bought the 90 and then the TC100 came out, and the Invective and so on and so forth, and the JP2C lots of other amps to compete with the 90 watt.
That's a fair point but for the price range that I'd be working with, most of those amps are out of the question (although a TC-50 wouldn't be impossible, I've heard great things about the triple crown series)

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score
That's a fair point but for the price range that I'd be working with, most of those amps are out of the question (although a TC-50 wouldn't be impossible, I've heard great things about the triple crown series)

Yeah I hear you on the price points, the TC-50 isn't much more than the 35 watt mark and I think is more amp for your money, but with any of the options you are considering you can't really go wrong, will really just boil down to preference and/or finding a good deal on one and not the other.

I got my 5150 III for just over 1000 canadian, or else I would have been saving for the Mark 35 or TC50 so I know how you feel.

Eden

Reaction score
Yeah I hear you on the price points, the TC-50 isn't much more than the 35 watt mark and I think is more amp for your money, but with any of the options you are considering you can't really go wrong, will really just boil down to preference and/or finding a good deal on one and not the other.

I got my 5150 III for just over 1000 canadian, or else I would have been saving for the Mark 35 or TC50 so I know how you feel.
At this point, I feel it would be easier getting a TC50 than a mark v 35, but with all the features in that amp, I would prefer it anyway. I just haven't gotten the chance to play any triple crown stuff.

And then of course the 5150 III EL34 comes out and presents itself as another big competitor

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Thought: look into the trans atlantic 30 along with the V:25.

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score

For sure, nothing to worry about in that regard.

Eden

Reaction score
Awesome! This was something that would have bothered me since I'll be moving out before too long and if I end up in an apartment, I wouldn't want to have an amp too loud to play. I know there are attenuators I could look into, as well as the two note products, but I'd prefer those to be long term investments rather than immediate considerations

Latest posts