New Band, New Song - Mixed and Mastered by Me

• Thread starter GunpointMetal
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Thoughts on the production?
Drums were recorded at a local studio with a killer mic selection and room. We didn’t track a live kick drum, but everything else in the recording is off the mic’s. Toms are enforced with samples of the actual toms from the tracking session. Guitars were recorded direct and reamped with Helix native. Bass is Kraken bass. Vocals recorded in our rehearsal space. All production in Reaper. Luxury Problems - Sleepwalkers

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Sounds gnarly! Why not record the kick though?
Thank you! Honestly, next time I think we will. Drummer wanted to try something, and it worked marvelously (no boomy kick in the OH/rooms) but he’s tight enough with his feet that it wouldn’t have made much of difference. We knew we wanted to get the kick/bass locked in with minimal editing and we achieved that. It does also make any edits that are needed on the top of the kit way easier because you don’t have to worry if moving a snare hit slightly is going to fuck up a kick hit and you don’t have neuter the rooms/OH to keep the kick out.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Gotcha, makes sense from the editing perspective!
We planned from the beginning to replace the kick anyways, but I think for the next round I want to have it in the room for parts where I want to blend more room mics and stuff. The next single has a more varied dynamic and mix.

ibenhad

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't listen to this style of music but I still wanted to provide some feedback. Guitars IMHO need more girth/umph and the drums seemed louder than the rest of the music. The track sounded very washed out through computer speakers but cleaned up and sounded much better through my AKG K-240 monitor headphones. Thanks for posting this.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
I don't listen to this style of music but I still wanted to provide some feedback. Guitars IMHO need more girth/umph and the drums seemed louder than the rest of the music. The track sounded very washed out through computer speakers but cleaned up and sounded much better through my AKG K-240 monitor headphones. Thanks for posting this.
Thanks for the feedback. Drums are definitely loud as a style choice.

Latest posts