New build - HENT one piece 7string!

• Thread starter wintersun
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

arsonist

Reaction score
Sorry for the necrobump, but I just found this thread and was unable to refrain from commenting:
This is an absolutely, absolutely beautiful instrument! Congratulations, and I hope it brings you great experiences!

WarpedX1

Reaction score
+1 on the above. Did this get finished in the end, is there a NGD link with finished pics?

FIXXXER

¯\(°_o)/¯
Reaction score
Hey guys! Been at Rob's today and made some final reviews before finally having him start with applying finish. I took a few photos to show the weight of the guitar (3.5 kg!!) and some final modifications. Also the flame came out a lot now that he did the final sanding, so i thought I'd show you that as well.

I also took a short video of him jamming on it :shred: Even though hes not exactly used to 7strings, he probably still did much better job than I would, considering I haven't really had a chance to play anything in months now :wallbash: :lol:

I wanted to do some good recordings for you, but I'm having seriusl amounts of EMI here (i've even reported that before here on ss.org), and I wouldn't want you guys to get the wrong impression, cos it really is messing with the tone to a degree. Good thing however is that I will be moving very soon, and then I'll have something for you to listen to.

So yeah, hope you like it.. More pictures soon!

wmzphyD.jpg

Rt0HCGy.jpg

zKelYR5.jpg

qiWIDRo.jpg

uM7X9P4.jpg

uVmW4i9.jpg

uhCqIFA.jpg

L65t9qe.jpg

Later dudes! :hbang:

INSANE BUILD MAN! :eek::eek::eek:

wintersun

Reaction score
Hey guys! Sorry for keeping you in the dark.

We had some problems with the guitar so it took more time than expected. Namely, it turns out that the amount of carbon we put in wasn't enough, causing some dead zones, and I really didn't want that. We can't say it was either mine or his mistake, as no one could really anticipate how it will react, especially with a one piece. I guess I'm a little to blame, since I wanted the neck a bit thinner than originally expected. The neck just needed to be STIFFER.

So, what he did is removed the fretboard, got rid of the truss rod, and threw in a shit ton of carbon.. and this time used a stiff ebony fingerboard. We also removed some mass from the head, and guess what.. no more dead zones :) As you can imagine, this was an insane maneuver, but he got it done. I just had to pay for more carbon fiber rods, and it took a while for them to ship here. So overall, it took way too much time, but it was totally worth it. Plus no more truss rod adjustments for me, as this neck is now over 50% carbon :D

Right now the guitar is in the final stages. I just can't really go there and take any pictures, since I moved recently to another city. But, I will keep you posted when it's done.

wintersun

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Sorry for (kindof) necro-bumping, but I think it was about time I post something, right? Finally some good luck for a change, because this thing is a freakin beast! I explained in my previous post why it took so long, and I can tell you right now that, even though many people on the web have reported that it is not possible to completely get rid of dead zones, I actually pulled it off! All it really took was a much stiffer neck, and shit ton of carbon was the best solution. Mr Hent did an amazing job and kept his patience, even though the guitar was already done, and really made it work! There is only one note (G#, 16th fret on E string) that sounds a little shorter than the others do, but I seriously doubt I will ever hold on it for so long to notice. Not much of a blues player either.

Also to get rid of dead zones, we used a more stiffer Ebony fingerboard.

I just spent a few hours playing it, and the tone is really nice and full. Definitely sounds and plays great. I'll let you be the judge of that once I send some recordings. The extra thin neck does wonders, and extra access to the higher frets makes huge difference for me. Even the cutaway at the upper horn makes it so much easier to play up there.

The fact that it's 26" is unnoticeable to me. I can play everything I always did without even thinking about it. If anything, it's much easier to play now, but that's mostly due to the thin neck though.

Some minor negatives:

• Although it looks really good, now I'm kind of sorry I went for this blue instead of keeping it natural. The wood grain is more subtle than I expected, but as you can see from the pics, it's still quite there. Maybe I'm just picky.
  • One important sacrifice in order to get rid of those dead zones was the headstock that now looks kinda like Parker meets Blackmachine or whatever... I'm not exactly happy with it, but hey - it got the job done. Plus the more I look at it, the more I'm getting used to it, so I guess it's fine.

Now, I'm not an expert, but here is what I've learned:
  • One piece is a big risk for certain wood types. This was obviously a lighter variant of flamed maple, and thus not stiff enough for necks. Either make sure you use a very stiff wood, or shit ton of carbon in the neck. Ideally do BOTH.
  • Thin neck is a huge risk also. I had it equally thin from top to bottom, but I'm sure I would have less problems if the hi fret area was thicker, as with every other guitar.

So yeah, sorry for taking so long.. It's been here with me for over a month now, but I never could get the time to take pictures and upload. Hope you like them!

I also hope this will help people battle dead zones. Obviously extreme measures were required, but hey... With my luck with guitars, it was really expected :D

MTXlLDp.jpg

Fwy28sO.jpg

h6yLGN5.jpg

BIBOAYX.jpg

wMzBayI.jpg

HAhT7F6.jpg

9J13X7r.jpg

whOVeNi.jpg

vTrVvxc.jpg

RPKrjlo.jpg

OMyRcHA.jpg

f69V0ZO.jpg

2kmZeA3.jpg

TheFashel12

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
Reaction score
It's great to finally see this completed :hbang:
The end product is absolutely amazing and I love the body shape that you designed :metal:
Congrats!

Necromagnon

Reaction score
Nice. He did a very nice job with the finish (and the rest).
About the risks you say with 1 piece, I would add that it's also very very highly wood consuming. So if you go with some epic exotic wood, keep in mind that you waste probably around 75% of the base lumber...

Glad to see it finished and to see you happy with it. :cheers:

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
Came out great. I would have left it blonde personally though. But that dude defiantly does some amazing work. After building a handfull of guitars, I cant imagine how hard it would be to make a 1 piece.

Oh, and this guy should go off and die somewhere :lol: A refund? Its not rocket science to cut a nut, but try watching someone do it on a 1 piece. Its much more difficult.
I don't mean to be a dink or anything but I suggest you start trying to get a refund. Routeing a nut slot and gluing a fretboard on aren't rocket surgery but this guy ....ed both up and then proudly sent you pictures of his work. Plus, just because the guitar ends up 'looking pretty' doesn't mean you're not going to know that the fretboard was glued on with the wrong stuff and improperly.

VSK Guitars

Handcrafted Quality
Reaction score
That came out great man, congrats on your NGD!!!

I would have fought you tooth and nail to keep it natural though :D

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
That turned out above great! I'm one of those people who can't stand the BM headstock (really), and I totally love the one you have there. Definitely not a downgrade.

wintersun

Reaction score
That came out great man, congrats on your NGD!!!

I would have fought you tooth and nail to keep it natural though :D

Haha, yeah, if I ever get another one made, I'm almost certain it will be a blonde, or at least some more natural color. But now that I took those pictures and seen it in the daylight, I'm 100% sure it was the right move. That blue looks just awesome to me.

frahmans

Reaction score
Haha, yeah, if I ever get another one made, I'm almost certain it will be a blonde, or at least some more natural color. But now that I took those pictures and seen it in the daylight, I'm 100% sure it was the right move. That blue looks just awesome to me.

Headstock is pretty neat actually.

Latest posts