New Cab Day! Zilla Fatboy 2x12

• Thread starter mnemonic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I've been looking for a new cab lately as I've just been using a 1x12 PA cab I stuck a V30 in for a while now. It works decently, but it was about time to get something good.

I was looking for a Mesa 2x12, but holy hell are they expensive in the UK! Lucky me, Zilla is based here, and their prices are really reasonable! Also, custom options!

Big box. Not too heavy though.

IMG_9518%20copy_zpsvvdbjgld.jpg

Black western tolex, with black grille / piping / corners.
IMG_9519%20copy_zpstifetsd3.jpg

IMG_9524%20copy_zpswzcw9oqh.jpg

IMG_9525%20copy_zpsruwoxebw.jpg

I ordered it with just one speaker, a Celestion G12K100, as I have a Vintage 30 out of a Mesa cab to put in with it. I hear thats a good combo for metal.
IMG_9528%20copy_zpssslo650z.jpg

All wired up. They gave me wire, but no clips. When I spoke to Paul on the phone, he said they solder the speakers in to prevent the wires from coming loose, so I just soldered it all together. 8 ohm speakers, wired in series to make a 16 ohm cab.
IMG_9529%20copy_zpssd9rhozr.jpg

Overall I think it sounds pretty good! Even with the K100 not yet being broken in. Though thats probably because the V30 is broken in.

Next up is a new poweramp, as I am currently using the poweramp from my 1x12 PA cab, which is kinda hokey but works.

I may play some riffs with a looper on and then crank it up and set the cab face down on the ground to see if that breaks in the K100 any faster. Anyone have any tips for breaking speakers in? All cabs / speakers I've used in the past have been used, so I've never had to break anything in before.

:shred::shred::shred:

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
LOVE that tolex! :yum:

Also, the K100 is such an underrated speaker. I find it preferable to a V30 in all the right ways, yet it's so hard to find any decent IR's or even real cabinets that use them.

ArtDecade

Barking Pumpkin
Reaction score
That looks like one of the tolex options that Carvin used to (or still might) have.

1708_DSCF0001_1.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score
Grats! I wanted to buy one but option paralysis happened =). New try when I have the space for another cab.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
LOVE that tolex! :yum:

Also, the K100 is such an underrated speaker. I find it preferable to a V30 in all the right ways, yet it's so hard to find any decent IR's or even real cabinets that use them.

Which is weird, given how long it has been around, if you include the G12K85, as its apparently the same speaker. I really only know of the Marshall Mode Four cabs (which apparently are really good).

That looks like one of the tolex options that Carvin used to (or still might) have.

1708_DSCF0001_1.jpg

Thats a nice looking amp! They also do brown 'western' tolex and wheat grilles, and I almost went that route, but it wouldn't match anything I own, as all my other gear is black, and even all my furniture is white or some monochrome color.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I had it cranked up loud with a looper in my axe fx today playing some heavy riffs for a couple hours, with some blankets over the cab, to help break in the k100.

I think it's helped in opening it up, but it still has a ways to go.

Latest posts