New Douglas 7, Awww yeaaaah!

danielzabolotny

Reaction score
After lurking around sevenstring.org for years, I finally have a 7 of my own :D I scored it from my band's guitarist, he was selling it because he wanted to get rid of it; he utterly hated the Floyd Rose on it. It's a Douglas Scope 725. It looks and feels like an Ibanez, since it's pretty much an asian copy of it. (EDIT: As an astute reader pointed out, Ibanez is asian too. So let's just call it "a cheaper copy" then)

The previous owner played two gigs with it, and maybe played it a little bit at home, but other than that it just sat in a guitar rack for months. He tried messing with the Floyd and pretty much made it unplayable (perhaps that's why I got such a great deal, he probably thought it was broken for good). I had a good friend of mine (who can set up a Floyd while blindfolded and half-asleep) set it up nicely, intonation and all, with some new strings.

It plays quite nicely. The frets are all very well-placed and just the right height, and the action is pretty good too. I've heard a lot of good about Douglas and Agile guitars, and having played this one, I have to say that I'm a believer as well. The hardware is solid: licensed double-locking Floyd Rose, matte silver knobs, Grover tuners, and humbucker pickups. From what I've played (I had it set up to drop G#: G#D#G#C#F#A#D#), the stock pickups are pretty alright, if not a wee bit too noisy. In about a month or so, I'm swapping both pups out for a set of Blackouts (I have a guitar with EMG's, but I don't really like how they make every guitar sound the same, and they suck the mids out way too much). The rhythm sound is heavy and punchy, the lead sound is quite smooth, and the clean tone is pretty good too.

Pictures from the manufacturer website (I'll take some actual ones tonight):
scope725bk1.jpg

Pictures of mine (note how similar the website and actual pictures are. I love honest marketing):
IMAG0117.jpg

IMAG0118.jpg

IMAG0119.jpg

I think it's a pretty sexy guitar overall. No fancy trims, but I really don't need them.

Last edited:

danielzabolotny

Reaction score
Ibanez is Asian... :squint:

Congratulations anyway. :fawk:

Oh yeaaaaaah. Haha this is why I shouldn't be allowed to post until like past noon, my brain's still asleep. Well by asian I meant like a knock-off, because most fakes are made there (yet most Ibes are made in China/Korea anyways). So yeah, calling it an asian ripoff is quite stupid of me. Thanks for pointing it out xD

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pooluke41

H. Maddas
Reaction score
Oh yeaaaaaah. Haha this is why I shouldn't be allowed to post until like past noon, my brain's still asleep. Well by asian I meant like a knock-off, because most fakes are made there (yet most Ibes are made in China/Korea anyways). So yeah, calling it an asian ripoff is quite stupid of me. Thanks for pointing it out xD

You get off free today.

Next time...

It's personal.

danielzabolotny

Reaction score
Finally got around to taking pictures of my new Douglas, in glorious smartphone camera quality :p Updated the original post with pics.