New Dream Theater Tracks

• Thread starter Uber Mega
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AySay

Banned
Reaction score
I enjoyed the Mastodon that played before it at least, but this isn't very good

Yeah that mastodon was good. But really, I hope this is just the DT "single" so its more "conventional" like forsaken from SC. The chorus is kinda catchy but it the whole song feels so... The riffs are so mediocre, stale, unforgettable, stock, etc.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

liamh

Geek-chic
Reaction score
Rite of passage has a great solo, I love that atonal speed picking!

Origins

Not banned
Reaction score
Where did you find A rite of passage?
´cause to me there is only A nightmare to Remember on this radio link..:ugh:

Edit : Oh find it, but it´s more about 16:00
Except for the chorus, the song is...hmh...

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
Just listened to A Rite Of Passage....this is one of the most boring things I've heard DT do, there is absolutely NOTHING special about it.

They may have helped create the prog metal cliche, but they seem to have took it upon themselves to write to it now too :(

F1Filter

Contributor
Reaction score
I am totally not looking forward to this anymore..I just listened to 'A Nightmare to Remember' and am still shaking my head. They don't even sound like DT anymore.

I just got done hearing both tracks, and I'm in utter disbelief how bad it was. I actually did a facepalm during Rudess' keyboard soloing in "Nightmare To Remember". Can somebody please give him the memo that his lead patches sound like shit? With all the amount of gear he uses. You'd think he'd be able to come up with a better sounding patch than that?

This band has definitely plateaued in the songwriting dept. They're in dire need of a creative injection. And as long as Portnoy thinks he can produce the band by himself. I don't see anything new or groundbreaking sounding from these guys again.

Well at least I've been a local fan since the WDADU days. So I'm now considering myself fortunate to have been around when I&W and Awake were released. And also to have seen the KevMo and Sherinian lineups. Because this doesn't sound anywhere as good as the material they were putting out back then. Not even remotely close. :noplease:

Random Hero

Reaction score
Ok, so I've heard Rite of Passage. Where is Nightmare to Remember? There's something playing under the dude talking on the Rite of Passage clip but I presume there's another link I've missed?

Oh and FWIW, I'm a huge DT fan but I am not impressed so far. The Rite of Passage chorus is pretty nice but the rest seemed so bland.

Seedawakener

ouh...
Reaction score
This is better than Systematic though! You have to realise that they'll never be able to even come close to I&W again... Which is a shame...

But this was not as dissapointing as Systematic Chaos!

Voodoo Turkey

Reaction score
Not sure what to make of the songs after first listen, A Rite of Passage was the stronger of the two tracks though. Both are kinda dissapointing to be honest. I'll guess i'll give them a chance to grow on me...

Origins

Not banned
Reaction score
Ok, so I've heard Rite of Passage. Where is Nightmare to Remember? There's something playing under the dude talking on the Rite of Passage clip but I presume there's another link I've missed?

Oh and FWIW, I'm a huge DT fan but I am not impressed so far. The Rite of Passage chorus is pretty nice but the rest seemed so bland.

There is two links in the thread bro ;)

Well, after listening few times the tracks.. I´m disappointed.
Why? Not because the songs are not good (ok maybe a bit, The Rite of Passage is just boring as hell..), but because it´s not what you can expect from such band.
I mean, they have the skills to make any music they want,
they have the fame, which prevent them to loose any money if they decide to be unpredictable in their music.
But no, they prefer to keep playing the same kind of rock/metal riffs without even any point anymore.. Jordan Rudess is a so talented musician that his skills became his weakness. I´ve always been amazed by this guy playing, but for me it will never be as enjoyable as Kevin Moore, that´s fore sure :ugh:
They should try something new, but they prefer to do what the "fans" are waiting for.. An other Dream Theater album, nothing more.
Anyway, still waiting for the following..might be better than I think :D

Stroked

Reaction score
A radio station played a couple of new Dream Theater tracks earlier this evening, you can listen to them here.

Starts at about 13:20

mms://195.245.168.21/rtpfiles/audio/wavrss/at3/310195_44244-0904170033.wma

:yesway:

Never mind.....went back a re-read all other post and found my answer.....I was right....i'm retarded

Well I love both tracks.....

RTP - ALTA TENSÃO

Skip to around 14 mins.

I believe for the first clip straight after Rite of Passage, "Wither" was being played in the background behind the DJs voice annoyingly!

Ok my retardation is really bad today......how did you fast forward with that link. I dont get a little progress thing that allows you to fast forward or rewind.

Random Hero

Reaction score
There is two links in the thread bro ;)

That's me being a tard sorry. I thought because they had the same intro, it was just the same show :nuts:

Will listen to the other track now...

EDIT: I just got through Nightmare to Remember and enjoyed it. The keyboard solo was awful and Portnoy's vocals? Hmm... But the rest I mostly liked - the middle section especially. I really liked the chorus melody too. Can't wait to hear the rest of the tracks.

fuzzboy

Reaction score
A Rite Of Passage was good, but not great.

A Nightmare to Remember I thought was better, but still not so good... on the first listen. I loved it a lot on the 2'nd listen. I'll just probably give AROP another shot just to be fair, and stop listening to leaks until I buy the album.

Azyiu

Triad Hitman
Reaction score
Note to Mr. Rudess... this ain't LTE! If you want to experiment, go else where. Sadly his solo in A Nightmare To Remember pretty much ruins that song for me, and that song wasn't at all too impressive to begin with... :noplease:

Uber Mega

Try my fist!
Contributor
Reaction score
you can get the two tracks as mp3 downloads from the normal sites now everybody :yesway:

Leec

Woopah!
Contributor
Reaction score
Note to Mr. Rudess... this ain't LTE! If you want to experiment, go else where. Sadly his solo in A Nightmare To Remember pretty much ruins that song for me, and that song wasn't at all too impressive to begin with... :noplease:

If you think progressive metal bands shouldn't be 'experimenting', you're clinically weird. :nuts:

AdamRogo

Reaction score
I like them both, specifically A Nightmare to Remember... great tone and lead work.

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Where, specifically, is "Nightmare to Remember" on those broadcasts? I listened to them both and couldn't find it--unless I just didn't recognize it as DT.

"A Rite of Passage" isn't bad, IMHO. Nothing earth-shaking, but I like it.