New Eight String Build Pic Story (56k = try harder)

• Thread starter gjkung
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gjkung

Reaction score
yea like I said, I love the grain and would normally have kept it, but I gotta keep it focused as I was planning on making a real simple black coloured djent guitar, can't be tempted to leave the fancy stuff on.

So anyway work continues!

Time to finish the trussrod adjustment access.

the headstock again.
Second&

and the backstage router.
DSC_0005-1.jpg

Clearing off the headplate region that covers the old route.
DSC_0012-2.jpg

Chisel and file to clean things up.
DSC_0021-1.jpg

It's done.
DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0035-1.jpg

The neck now.
DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0050-1.jpg

Next is the headstock shaping, which was a haphazard process of improvisation and a couple of crazy mistakes.

The latest technology.
DSC_0055.jpg

Does the job for the straight side.
DSC_0073-1.jpg

What's a drill doing here?
DSC_0080-1.jpg

This is the way to cut a curve if you ain't got a jigsaw.
DSC_0083.jpg

Drill holes along the edge, then cut it, but remember to clamp a piece of wood under the work piece or this might happen.(1st mistake)
DSC_0085.jpg

Tear out.

Problem rectified.
DSC_0086.jpg

Drilling is done.
DSC_0089.jpg

A couple of chisel/saw actions later.
DSC_0095.jpg

A rasp comes into place, but please don't use this as it tears at the ebony too much. (2nd mistake)
DSC_0097.jpg

Still pretty rough.
DSC_0103.jpg

Nearing the end.
DSC_0108.jpg

Done, or at least before the final finish that I'd do after I saw the neck up.
DSC_0186.jpg

You might observe that the headstock is a little less aggressive than intended in the original design, this is cuz I had to trim off some of the right spike after I glued the ears off-position.

Still looks pretty decent to me, tho.

Whew, I almost messed it up.

Comparison with my two other guitars.
DSC_0192.jpg

DSC_0193.jpg

DSC_0196.jpg

It's all starting to come together as a guitar hehehe.

p.s:I haven't cut the main horn out as I'm still deciding between a point-sharp(esp style) or a blunt horn, please help me decide!.

bulletbass man

Classical & Metal
Reaction score
^ah woodworking without the proper tools always requires intresting techniques.

Especially without a router when you need one.

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
I was thinking about the wood glue conundrum. What if you did binding around the headstock? That way, the veneer wouldn't be able to slide. Anyways, great pics, dude! What kind of camera are you using?

gjkung

Reaction score
bulletbass_man: actually i do have a router, just that I avoid if I can as I'm working at home, in an apartment with my family in it. Routers are messy stuff man.

BigPhil84: It's a Nikon D90, awesome camera.

Well about the binding I guess it'd depend on how thick the binding is, and if the binding doesn't have enough glue contact with the bottom piece, then it might just slide together, still helps a little tho.

So far my earlier guitar has been around for 8 months and haven't observed any sleep, maybe cuz I have tuners installed into the headstock, but nothing either for the fretboard.

Ruins

Reaction score
goood job man!
and next time to avoid mistakes that your hurt could bleed from apologize to your family for short time of inconvenience and just do it with the right tool especially if you have it.

i did and everything went right. i was routing in our bed room cause there is no other place to do it for now. afterwards i cleaned up and everything was fine.

gjkung

Reaction score
actually I didn't need the router for that job, I needed a jigsaw, even then i managed with hand tools, the mistakes didn't come from that.

man routing in your bedroom :nuts: aahaha

jammy

Reaction score
bulletbass_man: actually i do have a router, just that I avoid if I can as I'm working at home, in an apartment with my family in it. Routers are messy stuff man.

BigPhil84: It's a Nikon D90, awesome camera.

Well about the binding I guess it'd depend on how thick the binding is, and if the binding doesn't have enough glue contact with the bottom piece, then it might just slide together, still helps a little tho.

So far my earlier guitar has been around for 8 months and haven't observed any sleep, maybe cuz I have tuners installed into the headstock, but nothing either for the fretboard.

It might well not happen! It's just something that can happen when using PVAs, and for the sake of a couple of extra bucks outlay, you mayswell use the right stuff :)

Ruins

Reaction score
actually I didn't need the router for that job, I needed a jigsaw, even then i managed with hand tools, the mistakes didn't come from that.

man routing in your bedroom :nuts: aahaha
when you don't have any other place to do it... bedroom it is :)

Ruins

Reaction score
in my case i do live with a woman (my wife) :ugh:
the routing and my guitar carving has been done in our bedroom
the point is it is possible if you clean up after your self

FourFour

4/4
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Most of you probably dunno who I am since I rarely visit this part of the forum.

My very good friend Mr. gjkung has gone to serve his 2 years of mandatory National Service in the army and he has kindly passed his previous 8 string guitar to me. I recorded a little clip just to showcase the sonic quality of the guitar he built (as well as my recording skillz:flame:).

Heres the clip:

SoundClick artist: Ontolodox - page with MP3 music downloads