New fan fret 8 string build!

• Thread starter Serratus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Serratus

Reaction score
Which oil did you end up using?

It's a guitar finishing oil that I bought from a uk luthiers supplier. It's quite thick so I think I'll have to do some wet sanding with oil to take away the excess that there is in certain places. Then maybe wax polish it.

Serratus

Reaction score
Getting there!! :)

Pic%2032_zpso9ctgclm.jpg

Pic%2033_zpsl95s4zdp.jpg

Pic%2034_zps3qtgmevr.jpg

Serratus

Reaction score
that pickup/bridge ring is unreal

Thanks m8 - I mainly did it to help the look of the angled pickup. I usually only like the look of angled coils on fan-fret guitars (where the coil angle matches the angle of the bridge). But as I had an active pickup for this guitar, I decided to do this with the bridge surround to hide the squareness of the pickup. I think it helps the appearance, probably because we're used to seeing a tele bridge with an angled pickup in it, imho :)
I also really like that the angle of the flame in the wood matches the bridge angle!!

DistinguishedPapyrus

Reaction score
Wow man, that thing turned out nice. What's the final weight of it? Also is the top flat or does it have a little bit of an arch?

SilentCartographer

Creator as Observer
Reaction score
hells ya man, almost like a tele somewhat with that ring.. you got skills, for sure love how the flame is angled the same, would love to shred this mufugga

Serratus

Reaction score
Wow man, that thing turned out nice. What's the final weight of it? Also is the top flat or does it have a little bit of an arch?

Not sure what the weight is, although its not light! I'm pleased I did the weight relieving in the wenge because without that it would weigh a ton!
And no, the top isn't arched, it's flat - still feels nice and comfy with the big tummy contour and rounded edges though :)

Renkenstein

Reaction score
Serratus...would you mind sharing what screws you used for fastening the Wilkinson saddles to your bridge plate there? I've got to manufacture a bridge plate for the Raze, and I have the saddles, but didn't realize they didn't include those screws. That would be a huge help to me.

...and this build is flippin' RIGHTEOUS!!! Excellent job, bud.

Serratus

Reaction score
Serratus...would you mind sharing what screws you used for fastening the Wilkinson saddles to your bridge plate there? I've got to manufacture a bridge plate for the Raze, and I have the saddles, but didn't realize they didn't include those screws. That would be a huge help to me.

...and this build is flippin' RIGHTEOUS!!! Excellent job, bud.

Hi m8,
Not sure if you can get the same bolts in the US (I'm in the UK), but this is what I did: The saddles I got actually came with some bolts but I couldn't match the thread, so I bought some M3 dome-headed bolts (3mm thick and about 15mm long, with a hex key top) and an M3 tap. The bridge plate was drilled with a 2.5mm drill, and then I used the tap to put an M3 thread into those holes. Then I routed a slot in the guitar body under those bolts so they can poke out the bottom of the plate.
Hope this helps :)

Serratus

Reaction score
I've just put this in the NGD thread but as it's showing the capo thing that I built I thought some of you might be interested and might be more likely to see it in this thread.
So it's a quick video of me using the capo thing to drop the bottom strings! Only recorded on my phone so it's probably all treble!!!lol But hopefully you get the idea :)

Latest posts