New Fret Day: 8-string classical - Ibanez G208

Dayn

Reaction score
A while ago Ibanez sold 7- and 8-string classical guitars. It was a toss-up between an 8-string classical and the 7-string jazz guitar the AFJ957, and I opted for the 8-string. I've had this guitar for 7 or 8 years now (I can't remember if I bought it in 2013 or 2014...).

I've always found it harder to play. The frets were quite small, and very much unlike my RG2228. about 9 to 12 months ago I lowered the action, and it was alright, but barring would still often buzz. Even simple notes could buzz if I didn't fret it properly.

So I had it refretted with tall stainless steel frets. The neck was slightly radiused and the nut and bridge were set up well. The frets themselves are smooth and stupidly well done, even the 19th fret ends on the inside are smooth. It's now very easy to play. All buzz while playing has now been eliminated - except for when it's obvious I screwed up. Despite the refret costing the same as the guitar itself when I bought it, it was worth it. It was actually a test before I considered bringing my RG2228 in.

mOYQZWv.jpg

V1vx5dA.jpg

CxZ8obB.jpg

IRq2dWw.jpg

a1QICE9.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
I’ve been keeping a partial eye out for a used one of those.

Glad to hear you got it set up to your liking.

conorreich

Momento Mori
Reaction score
A while ago Ibanez sold 7- and 8-string classical guitars. It was a toss-up between an 8-string classical and the 7-string jazz guitar the AFJ957, and I opted for the 8-string. I've had this guitar for 7 or 8 years now (I can't remember if I bought it in 2013 or 2014...).

I've always found it harder to play. The frets were quite small, and very much unlike my RG2228. about 9 to 12 months ago I lowered the action, and it was alright, but barring would still often buzz. Even simple notes could buzz if I didn't fret it properly.

So I had it refretted with tall stainless steel frets. The neck was slightly radiused and the nut and bridge were set up well. The frets themselves are smooth and stupidly well done, even the 19th fret ends on the inside are smooth. It's now very easy to play. All buzz while playing has now been eliminated - except for when it's obvious I screwed up. Despite the refret costing the same as the guitar itself when I bought it, it was worth it. It was actually a test before I considered bringing my RG2228 in.

mOYQZWv.jpg

V1vx5dA.jpg

CxZ8obB.jpg

IRq2dWw.jpg

a1QICE9.jpg
Gorgeous! I don't even know what to do with a classical 6 string, but massive respect to classical guitar players! You should post some of your playing with this guitar!

Dayn

Reaction score
I can't see the pictures! HALP
This Imgur link should help: https://imgur.com/a/tGcwpNa I have no idea where to host things these days without external links breaking.

Gorgeous! I don't even know what to do with a classical 6 string, but massive respect to classical guitar players! You should post some of your playing with this guitar!
Just imagine a guy with an 8-string electric playing Animals as Leaders songs, but on a classical. That's basically me: it's in drop E, just like my RG2228.

Though I can properly play the beginning to The Brain Dance now, because the hammer ons and pull offs actually sound out properly when smacked against the tall stainless steel.

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
Super cool! I have one of these, although I keep the basses in a more lute-like relationship to the other strings (BDEADGBE or ADEADGBE) for playing baroque music. It's a surprisingly good guitar for the price, although I had a tuner fail.

Mine has sounded great to me as low as A with a D'addario .060. The previous owner had it in F# standard, which was far too low for the strings he was using. But it looks like you have a pretty massive 8th string on there! What is it and how does it sound at E?

Dayn

Reaction score
Super cool! I have one of these, although I keep the basses in a more lute-like relationship to the other strings (BDEADGBE or ADEADGBE) for playing baroque music. It's a surprisingly good guitar for the price, although I had a tuner fail.

Mine has sounded great to me as low as A with a D'addario .060. The previous owner had it in F# standard, which was far too low for the strings he was using. But it looks like you have a pretty massive 8th string on there! What is it and how does it sound at E?
I use Savarez strings. They make extended range strings all the way down to E, the '13th' string. So it sounds good. I've tuned it down to C# before and it's a bit quieter, but if Savarez makes a string for a note, it works for that note.

When you get to strings of that size though, the windings can be a little loose, making the string itself buzz and sound a bit dull - if you don't install it properly. But, that's solved by twisting the string the right way to tighten the windings before you put it in the tuner.

Latest posts