New Fuji X - XT-1?

• Thread starter Rook
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I'm running X Pro1 and 18 at the moment, I'm moving from the 18 to the 23, artily because I wanted just a little tighter, but also because it has a proper depth of field scale, is faster and is generally a better lens. The X-Pro/18 combo, however, literally fits in my jacket pocket or under my coat on a neck strap.

I'll show you some comparisons when the 23's here if you care, I 100000000% the Fuji as a companion to Canon though. The files on the Canon are next level but the Fuji has totally turned how I shoot on it's head, and for the better.

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
I'm definitely interested in seeing the comparison. I'm looking to go as compact as possible. The other day, I had a guy get off the metro at my stop and wait for me at the top of the stairs to make me delete anything that he was in. Extra-discreet is what I'm after, and I'm stuck on wide angles these days unless I'm shooting fashion stuff for work.

From comparisons I've seen, the X-t1 is just about as small at the X-Pro1 and apparently out-performs it at various levels too. Aesthetically, I'm in love with the whole rangefinder thing, but the X-t1 just sounds sooooo tempting.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
XT1 gains weather sealing, a newer sensor and faster processor over the X Pro but there some insane deals on the X Pro right now (which is what settled it for me) and the OVF is fantastic, really really great for the street where you can see what's around the frame.

The X Pro also has the advantage of looking like a stinky old film camera and mines covered in black tape, hiding all the lights and bits of white writing, rear display always off (you can playback through the EVF), I've been so bold as to literally point the camera at someone's face from a meter away while they looked at me, when I bring the camera down I just look past them and they go on with their lives, compare that to the dozens of SLR shots I have of people noticing me and cowering in fear or staring at the camera like it's a gun. I still never look at my subjects and have only been stopped once, but the shots are notably different. Just look at my Flickr you can clearly see how many more people are in my shots and how close to them I'm getting compared to the Canon shots.

Not saying go X Pro or XT, the XT's definitely faster, but that's why the Pro works so well for me, it's totally subtle and inoffensive.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
you can playback through the EVF

That's really cool, I didn't know that. I keep my LCD off 99% of the time and just use the 2-second preview of each photo after I take it (unless I need to take a better look at something, but I keep the LCD off when I'm actually shooting). That's more to save the battery, though.

I still never look at my subjects and have only been stopped once

I've been trying to start smiling at people more. It's still scary, but I'm getting better at it. I started smiling at the people who obviously stick out (like the crazy buskers) and they're fine, but when I'm shooting something and other people are around me, I've started smiling at whoever notices me. It's been getting me more involved, and in Florida last week I actually had like four or five people stop me after I smiled and ask if I could take a picture of them (on their camera/phone, though). I still find the initial interaction stressful, but once you break the ice with people, it's a really cool thing having a quick connection with a total stranger.

Also, this camera looks really cool. I'm still entertaining the idea of switching to the XT-1, but that would mean selling all my current gear and totally changing systems, which I'm not sure I want to commit to. I'd love an X100s or X-Pro 1 in addition to my DSLR for street stuff and just hanging out, but it's not really in my budget right now. Hopefully by the time the black X100s becomes readily available/slightly cheaper. :yum:

What's mostly scaring me about switching over (side from the costs involved) is Fuji's ISO. Everyone says the performance is amazing with the help of a lot of noise reduction - I'm fine with that, it's just a different result. But I found out that part of the reason Fuji's high-ISO performance is so good is because they tend to meter a stop higher. So say my 1100D looks at a scene and decides the ISO should be at 1600, the Fuji would look at the same scene and decides it should use 3200. So Fuji's 6400 looks so good because it's actually more like other people's 3200. Or so they say.

It also weirds me out how the native ISO stops at 200.

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
Yeah, that's why I'm considering the X-Pro. The inoffensiveness. Although the EVF on the X-T (from what I've seen) looks amazing. I'd normally be reluctant to go with an EVF, but damn.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
The sad thing about the XT's EVF is it's the same one as the X100s and XTE-1 just with a big-ass magnifying glass, it's no higher res. BUT BUT BUT it's twice the resolution of that of the X Pro and the X Pro is astounding as it is.

That an interesting point you raise Phil. If I didn't have my 6D and was still on a 600 when I found out about the X series, would I have gone for the X series first? Would I subsequently have bothered with the 6?

A few answers.

I partly bought my 6D because I had a strong attraction to full frame. If I was debating the 70D and I found the X stuff... Even then, I was at the stage in the consumer experience life cycle where I thought I wanted the biggest numbers on everything I could get, and the 70D has all those AF points and what have you. So if I was at the stage I was actually at when I went full frame, no I wouldn't have even given the X series a second look beyond thinking it was cool. I didn't, however, realise how INSANE the IQ of the 6D was til I had it then started to compare to other things, it poops on the Fuji files and the Fuji files are great.

If I had been more knowledgeable and less concerned with numbers at the decision making time, I think that yes, I probably would have gone from 600D to X series and taken on a whole new system, particularly knowing what I do now about them, the build quality, the image quality, and they exemplary customer support - very few companies listen to their customers like Fujifilm do. Also DEM COLOURS. I feel like if Canon found out I was sick of my 6D they'd laugh and go 'oh well, you've bought it now, and you're not even a "pro" so who cares', Fuji just gives off this honest impression that every single customer counts, I feel valued and like part of a community. I'd be more than happy with the image quality, and think I'm about to be even happier when the 23mm arrives (and the 14 next month muahaha) and wouldn't even be wondering what the 6D was capable of, I'd be put off by the price, the price of the lenses, the size of the lenses, and the great british tendency to support to underdog would make me want to give Canikon the great two finger salute by not buying their gear.

The new XT-1 has genuinely had me consider more than once dropping my entire Canon system (wait, I'm not finished) and just making the switch, and the sheer amount of change I'd have left over from doing so meant that if I wanted I could buy EVERY SINGLE LENS in Fuji's line - not that I would. The XT would also give me weather sealing, 7fps, DAT EVF, and all the other junk.

The quality, however, of Canon files I get at the moment are just so ridiculously good that I haven't been able to take that step. I'm not a pixel peeper, but there's something so perfect about the 6D files, and if I were inclined to have a quick peep it's just game-set-match Canon. I hate Canikon as companies and it annoys my how much money I've given them but I can't turn my back on the quality yet, maybe the X Pro2 will change that.

Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
6d vs. XT-1 size comparison...

erIqGuM.jpg

Do want.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Dammit Jeff since you've started posting in this thread I've been gradually talking myself into the XT-1.

MUST RESIST. MUST STAY STRONG.