New guitar disaster....again

• Thread starter Larrikin666
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
Some of you may remember the story about the green ESP Stephen Carpenter I received last month with a cracked neck. It was packed horribly, so I'm astounded it didn't arrive in worse condition. I was super disappointed though. I'd wanted one of those for a very long time. The guy was very cool about giving me my money back.

I decided to move onto another desired guitar...a Washburn M-20 Instigator. I was surprised to find one pretty quickly. I received it today. I looked down to see that the guy shipped it in only a hardshell case...no packing material on the outside at all. I opened it up and immediately find a crack at the bottom of the neck joint. I really don't understand how I get two guitars in the row with the exact same crack. I'm still waiting to hear back from the guy. Even though this guitar isn't quite as valuable as the ESP...I'm more bummed because there were only 50 of them made. One is ruined because someone couldn't take the time to make sure the neck wasn't properly supported in the case and add extra packing material then put it in a box.

My camera couldn't handle doing macro shots in the artificial light, so I couldn't get any shots to upload. It's a crazy day with earthquake shocks hitting Pittsburgh. I wasn't even aware that could happen. Maybe I'll get some pictures tomorrow if the sun peaks out.

Sorry for the rant.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry to hear man, that really does suck.

I try to talk to those I buy from about how they're packing the guitar. I tend to "remind" them of "tips", like foam packing the headstock, bubble wrapping the guitar in it's case, and double boxing.

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
I can see exactly how it happened too. The bottom part of the case that supports the neck lifts the body up just enough to create about an inch of space below it. If anyone pushed on the top of the case while it was closed, then all that pressure to going to be placed on the neck joint.

splinter8451

Reaction score
Man, how can people be so careless with instruments :noplease:

Sorry to hear that man. Sucks you got screwed twice now.

shogunate

Reaction score
Wtf the guitar karma gods are relentless on you man... What the hell did you do????

J/k, thats horseshit, it's not hard AT ALL to find the packing materials for a guitar in a case and not much more common sense than a banana to figure out how to do it right. Goddamn now I'm seeing why some luthiers tout bolt ons over the neck throughs :ugh: scary shit.

rockerjeff

Reaction score
We always ship instruments out in two boxes. The inner box secures the neck, headstock tip, and any pointy parts of the body. Then, the inner box is put into another, much larger, shipping box that we order from U-LINE. U-LINE boxes are fairly heavy duty and reasonably priced. I highly recommend them.

ridner

Bastard of Thousands
Reaction score
total bummer. hope this one gets resolved as well.

ralphy1976

1 less ERGNESS
Reaction score
sorry to hear that man. i know how you feel i got a custom shipped and packed badly and it arrived broken.

standards are obviously different and sadly you got to pay the price twice now!!!

good luck with getting your money back

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Damn that is some shitty luck. Maybe third time will be the charm and the next guitar you get will be perfect ;)