New Guitar Incoming: E-II vs Custom Shop M-II

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tomahawkguitarist

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Holy Grail of metal guitars? It doesn't even have tiger stripes.
And no Michael Sweet signature so it can't be all that holy.

Hey listen now, I come from humble beginnings though it may not sound like it. At one point, my holy grail of signature Italian cuisine was Chef Boyardi. Say what you will but it beats Maruchan. 🍜

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
The mustang is an esp? Would love to hear more about it!
Yeah it's an early ESP. I don't know much about it. I Suspect it is pretty old, but it plays really good and sounds like a mustang should. Has a short scale and everything. I have not seen any other ESP mustangs, so I am inclined to believe its a rare one.

tomahawkguitarist

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Finally got it. I never got the "Ready for Pickup" notification from DHL because they temporarily misplaced my package at the service center, but there just so happened to be a guitar store nearby that had several high end guitars available for me to try out.

Including a collection of ESP Custom Shops. And after playing an Iron Cross and KH-2, I now see why they're such a big deal.

Both felt so awesome that that I felt unworthy of playing either of them. And I especially didn't want to walk out of the store without the KH-2. I have never played a more comfortable, brutal, yet perfectly set-up guitar in my life.

I can't even really put it into words, it was just simply perfect. It reminded me of the feeling I had when I played my Gibson J-15 for the first time at Guitar Center.

I wonder if I made a mistake, because now I'm scared that every other guitar I play will feel like a letdown.

Anyways, will share pics and initial thoughts of the M-II Custom soon. Currently stuck in traffic, but I have a really good feeling it will be worth the wait.

tomahawkguitarist

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well APPARENTLY all my picture files are too large, EXCEPT for the case candy. They even included a silica bag! :)

Attachments

• 20240626_194259.jpg
    20240626_194259.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
As nice as the ones you tried?

I tried a ltd KH a while ago and it played quite well.

tomahawkguitarist

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
As nice as the ones you tried?

I tried a ltd KH a while ago and it played quite well.
There's something just right about a blacked out MII, looking mighty fine here.
Let us know what you think once you test it out.
I finally got a chance to plug in. The shipment didn't include a 9v battery (which is understandable).

The seemingly effortless playability is definitely similar to that of the ones I tried yesterday, especially the KH-2. The minute differences compared to the KH-2 were probably only down to the fretboard wood, pickups, and body cut in the horn.

I've heard players say they like guitars that put up a fight. They would definitely be disappointed in this one because I didn't need to think much to play what I wanted on this fine instrument.

And I agree, the blacked-out finish and fretboard looks simply evil.:mk:

The frets weren't mint, but that's to be expected since this was a used guitar. Overall it looks to have been very well cared for.

After comparing it to the E-II though, I'm actually surprisingly torn. The fretboard is thinner on the ESP which I believe contributes to its better playability. But I prefer the tone of the E-II even though they should have the same EMG 81 bridge pickups (and the ESP's 9v battery is brand new unlike the E-II's). The E-II's tone is just chunkier, idk how else to describe it. One thing I noticed is the pickup height is closer to the strings on the E-II which I know affects the tone, so I will try to adjust it later and see what happens.

Either way, I don't regret not walking away with the KH-2 (which would have been double the price of the ESP and 3-4x the E-II).

tomahawkguitarist

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
After spending around an hour going back and forth and adjusting pickup heights to my preference, I've made my decision.

The ESP did indeed sound brighter and chunkier than before after a pickup height adjustment. But the chunkiness still didn't match the E-II.

After initially planning to do the reverse, I'm keeping the E-II and returning the ESP.

I don't mind saving $3k+, but money is not a factor. Maybe it's the fact that the ESP is older (2010) than the E-II (2014+) and they were built differently. Maybe it's the likelihood that less wood went into making the ESP than the E-II, which can also affect the tone.

I still stand by what I said about its playability being second to none, but the ESP is overall simply not worth to me double what I paid for my E-II.

If I played more lead than rhythm, I would probably not hold the same opinion though.

I did not expect to come to this conclusion. I won't rule out a custom shop in the future, but I've decided I'm content with my E-II.

Thank you to everyone who helped and participated in this enlightening experience.