New Keith Merrow album 'Reading the Bones' coming April 12th

Dayviewer

Mr. Djelecaster
Reaction score
Oh boy, get your riff pants on, Keith Merrow announced on Facebook that his new album is coming April 12th :cheers:
Pre-orders will go live March 15th.

I'm really looking forward to it, I liked the things he did with Loomis and with Wes Hauch but to me that always missed a certain vibe from previous records that he did all on his own, so I'm stoked!
It's a good time to be alive with new Devin Townsend coming March 29, new Periphery April 5th, and this the week after :agreed:

Cover:
53020167-2452463481449003-3634811125884780544-o.jpg

Here's 2 songs he demonstrated during some gear demos that he mentioned would be on his next record:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CovertSovietBear

ブロリー
Reaction score
A Top Romulan II would be sick. Or an Andromeda III.

Whatever he comes out with I'll most likely enjoy.

Can't wait.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
I love his solo stuff. His stuff with Wes or Loomis always felt like they were at the forefront instead of Keith's riffs - even if that probably wasn't the intention.

Dayviewer

Mr. Djelecaster
Reaction score
I love his solo stuff. His stuff with Wes or Loomis always felt like they were at the forefront instead of Keith's riffs - even if that probably wasn't the intention.
Exactly, I always felt ridiculous for thinking it but, I always wanted non-solo versions of those albums, like an 'instrumental instrumental' version :lol:

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Jeff Loomis is my favorite guitar player, I just felt like it was two titans mashing it out and of course the lead dominates.

Wes is pretty good too but I hate his lead tone.

secretpizza

Reaction score
Hell yes. Can't wait for this. I've really enjoyed his collab stuff, and personally I think Wes Hauch is fucking killer, but solo Merrow has a different vibe that I miss.

Crundles

Reaction score
I must be in the severe minority, but I love Alluvial the most out of all of Keith's projects. It's just so...atmospheric.

The Wastrel reminds me of that same atmosphere, so I'm up for some proper hype

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
This is highly likely to be the album of 2019 for me. Beyond hyped!

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
same. its a shame keith isnt part of alluvial anymore cause that album is incredible.

Did Keith leave Alluvial? I thought he was still in it, just taking less of a writing role as it's more Wes' show?

chopeth

Reaction score
I thought Alluvial was a project only for Keith+Wes as Conquering Dystopia was a Merrow+Loomis one. I love Alluvial but what really gets my undies wet is thinking there will be a Conquering Dystopia part II

Dayviewer

Mr. Djelecaster
Reaction score
Pre orders:
https://www.sheethappenspublishing.com/artists/merrow

Tracklist:
  1. Desolate Horizons
  2. Reading the Bones
  3. Coven of Hags
  4. Onieromancer
  5. Pythoness
  6. Aruspex
  7. Heart of the Sea Nymph
  8. Braving the Dunes
  9. The Miser
  10. The Wastrel
Very much looking forward to Heart of the Sea Nymph and Braving the Dunes being remakes of one of his older albums.

New song:

Like it, although I do hope this is just the 'playthrough' mix and not how it will sound on the actual record, we'll see!

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
Awesome! I'm definitely a bigger fan of his solo material, over his collaborative material.

Can't wait for the album!

Sumsar

Reaction score
I am very much looking forward to it!
Though I am the only one that kinda thinks this is sort of a repacking of a lot of songs that we have heard before in gear demos?
Still looking forward to hearing full versions of those songs with real drums n all, just wondering how many songs on here that we haven't heard before in one way or another?

Dayviewer

Mr. Djelecaster
Reaction score
I am very much looking forward to it!
Though I am the only one that kinda thinks this is sort of a repacking of a lot of songs that we have heard before in gear demos?
Still looking forward to hearing full versions of those songs with real drums n all, just wondering how many songs on here that we haven't heard before in one way or another?
Yea right now 5 out of 10 songs have been heard already through either demos or from a previous album.
And we don't know if any of the other 5 are also from gear demos.
I personally don't mind though, sometimes I listened to those demos anyway because I wanted to listen to Merrow, so to have that stuff more fleshed out in album form is pretty welcome :)

Couch Metal

Reaction score
Listened to the full album last night. Wow. The wait was definitely worth it. Coven of Hags is one of the greatest song titles ever imo.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
I was whinging in a thread earlier about bullshit shipping costs from the US to my country however after listening to this on repeat I'm just going to suck them up and get a physical copy. Fucking banger of an album. There's material that's been heard before in gear demos yes, however the way it's presented in this is phenomenal, it really flows. I was wondering how Sea Nymph was going to fit in as the original vibe of Awaken the Stone King felt as if it was more upbeat where as this album is definitely dark as hell. It's been re-done and holy shit it fits perfectly.

Gmork

Reaction score
Aaawwweeessssoooooome!!! Love everything he does, one of my favorite guitarists. No wankery (though it can be fun at times) just solid unique and really interesting songs

EDIT: went to buy the cd/shirt bundle aaaaand they only take credit card. Well shit. going to be choked if i miss out on my shirt size : (

Last edited: