New metal mix, need some compression help!

• Thread starter Farcry0092
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Farcry0092

Reaction score
Hey guys, ive got an issue that I cannot for the life of me seem to solve.

Leyer newest mix by Farcry0092 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

theres my latest song im working on for my band, sans vocals per usual. I think it sounds pretty good, however theres some really weird swelling that happens at 25 seconds, and right at 3 minutes.

I know its an issue with a compressor somewhere but I cannot figure it out at all. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks guys! :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Farcry0092

Reaction score
all guitars and bass are panned hard left and right, one track on each side, no double tracking at all either.

RedSkull

riffs master
Reaction score
what is your guitar source? trying to put the finger on the problem here, they sound very distant. and it seems to be more than just a volume problem.

Luke Acacia

STRAYA
Reaction score
I cant really help you with your problem but I can tell you its sounding awesome and you should be proud of that so far.

Farcry0092

Reaction score
Thanks a lot man!

Im using a Line 6 Pod XT live. when im just jamming a long to stuff the guitars sound fine but they end up sounding different in the mix. the only e4ffects i use is a multiband compressor on each track.

Tyler

Reaction score
You should try lowering the highs a bit and some out of the "cardboard" zone as some call it. Its good, but the bass sounds a bit too boomy and guitars a little too thin. Just my :2c:

Sinborn

Tube Guru
Reaction score
you got a sloooow release in there somewhere, but I can't tell if it's guitar or bass or a group.

I also think the snare needs different reverb.

Edit: I did not hear your new mix before posting this. I think I like the old mix more tbh. The new one sounds a bit harsh, like you EQed too much.

I also forgot to say previously that this is a pretty rockin' track man. Nice work.

Tyler

Reaction score
What exactly is the cardboard zone? like where about should i make the cuts?

the cardboard zone is pretty much an area that just makes the clarity better when you take a couple of dB out. its between 500 and 800Hz

and for highs I usually take about 2 or 3dB out of 3800 to 4k region

niffnoff

Just another SunBro
Reaction score
Edit: Nevermind

this sounds much better than your original mix dude. I just think the mix is pumping a tad with the kick

Tyler

Reaction score
There you go! Improvement already. Just keep working with it and you'll learn new things. I always double track so if you havent tried it before, it wouldnt hurt to give it a shot, but thats just because im used to it.

Additionally, the song itself is very well written

Farcry0092

Reaction score
Niffnoff, would turning the kick down fix the problem or would just cutting out a tad of the lower end be the better route?

and Nellings, I used to double track everything, but im not patient enough to get perfect every time so it always sounded more muddy than anything.

Thanks for the help guys!

Drummerrrrr

Reaction score
How hard are you hitting your master limiter at that point? Also, guitars need to sit back a tad, could do with less gain. Also, I reckon that riff at the start would work wayyyyy better if you had it sitting about -3dB or so below the rest of the mix so 0:06 hits harder. Nice writing man, it's a great start!

sh4z

Reaction score
Nice work! its interesting to see the different critique and your progression in the mixing. love the intro :metal: