New Michael Romeo War of the Worlds pt.2

• Thread starter lurè
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

deigo

Reaction score
Killer player
Monster riffs
Wish he played more slow melodic solos... like JP :D

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
Heavy metal shredder heavily influenced by Yngwie starts a 5 piece progressive metal band that does tons of odd-time and odd-feel instrumental sections, heavy groove-laden headbanging riffs, and keyboard-vs-guitar solo battles, got traction in the 1990's, and whose original lead singer was replaced by a much better singer. Releases solo albums, a signature guitar, a phenomenal RKI instruction video, and develops a strong cult following for both their band and themself.

Now, if you can tell whether I'm talking about JP or MJR, or if you can tell me that I just described also some third person who's not one of those two, then I'll consider that the comparisons are maybe unwarranted. Otherwise, I think it's obvious that there happen to be a lot of similarities between their careers.

Fits better for Romeo, I think. Petrucci wasn't as influenced by Yngwie, MJR is substantially more groove-oriented, and DT began in the 80s and hit it big in the 90s whereas Symphony X began in the 90s and hit it "big" in the 2000s. The second half fits better for Petrucci...his solo record is much better known, his signature guitar sold more units by probably two orders of magnitude, Rock Discipline is the bigger instructional video, and ultimately Petrucci has the bigger following.

Similar paths, but they differ enough in each of those areas that it only works in abstract. I do agree than both of them (and their bands) will appeal to the same people, though.

I agree the bands get lumped together for progressive metal.
I agree they share the same influences to a degree, but MJR is much more classically influenced and thematically influenced by cinematic scoring.

I would say Petrucci's greatest influence is Steve Morse in how he approaches the physical aspect of playing guitar. Romeo has the YJM influence, but he has also added quite a bit of technique I don't find Petrucci using, especially the two-handed approach. It's more like Reb Beach but with string skipping.

I understand your point about comparing them but for me they don't really play alike. Romeo's riffs are more metal to me.

Morse, Lifeson, Dimeola, to name three of the bigger ones. Yngwie wasn't much of an influence at all, except as a limiting factor. By that I mean how a lot of 80s guys didn't want to touch Yngwie's style to avoid being called an imitator. Romeo didn't come along until the mid-90s, so it was a bit different by then.

As for Michael Romeo and Petrucci, yeah, they've been fans of each other for ages but they differ drastically in their approach to the instrument.

The Eyes of Medusa, Sea of Lies, the Odyssey, In the Dragon's Den. That man is a riff machine.

Don't forget the Savage Curtain! Romeo has had that signature heavy riffing since basically day one. One of the best to ever do it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Listening to When Dream and Day Unite I get some clear Yngwie vibes at times. Personally, I love Yngwie's playing, and think he's absolutely iconic, but, that said, I'd much rather listen to Petrucci than Yngwie, and I'd rather listen to Romeo than Petrucci. All three of them would definitely be in my top ten.

The timelines between the two bands are about 5 years apart, yes, but there are still a lot of coincidences between the two.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Listening to When Dream and Day Unite I get some clear Yngwie vibes at times. Personally, I love Yngwie's playing, and think he's absolutely iconic, but, that said, I'd much rather listen to Petrucci than Yngwie, and I'd rather listen to Romeo than Petrucci. All three of them would definitely be in my top ten.

The timelines between the two bands are about 5 years apart, yes, but there are still a lot of coincidences between the two.
I’d rather listen to Gilbert than any of them, though I’d also rate them differently than you. Trilogy was one of my first rock albums as a kid. Piece of Mind and Smashes, Thrashes, and Hits were the other two that got me into music quite a bit.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I’d rather listen to Gilbert than any of them, though I’d also rate them differently than you. Trilogy was one of my first rock albums as a kid. Piece of Mind and Smashes, Thrashes, and Hits were the other two that got me into music quite a bit.
Yeah, we probably share 6-8 of our top tens, but would arrange them in a different order. I absolutely loved the earlier Yngwie albums, but I didn't actually own them until I was quite aware of Dream Theater anyway (would have been circa 1992-3).

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Yeah, we probably share 6-8 of our top tens, but would arrange them in a different order. I absolutely loved the earlier Yngwie albums, but I didn't actually own them until I was quite aware of Dream Theater anyway (would have been circa 1992-3).
Lynch is definitely in my top ten, as well. A recent guy I’ve been digging is Greg Howe. He’s awesome. So are Kotzen and Moore.

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
Heavy metal shredder heavily influenced by Yngwie starts a 5 piece progressive metal band that does tons of odd-time and odd-feel instrumental sections, heavy groove-laden headbanging riffs, and keyboard-vs-guitar solo battles, got traction in the 1990's, and whose original lead singer was replaced by a much better singer. Releases solo albums, a signature guitar, a phenomenal RKI instruction video, and develops a strong cult following for both their band and themself.

Now, if you can tell whether I'm talking about JP or MJR, or if you can tell me that I just described also some third person who's not one of those two, then I'll consider that the comparisons are maybe unwarranted. Otherwise, I think it's obvious that there happen to be a lot of similarities between their careers.

I think I mentioned this in the SX appreciation thread already, but, to me, DT songs are a lot easier to play piece-by-piece, but difficult to follow along with. SX songs are easier to follow along with, but are more difficult to play piece-by-piece. DT lays the cheese on heavier, and SX is clearly more classically influenced, both in themes and composition (even instrumentation). They are 100% different bands, but they definitely fill the same niche.
I hear you. Not to nitpick and I’m no metal historian, but I think JP’s main influence was Al DiMeola, not Malmsteen.

You can hear it pretty well, for example, in early LTE stuff. On Acid Rain, JP even plays almost note for note Al’s riff from Race with the devil on a Spanish highway.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score

Where does the pick go to / come from when he starts using his index finger for tapping sections? It's like watching a slight of hand magic trick.

And what's this guitar pick doing behind your ear?!

Kolaniak

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Where does the pick go to / come from when he starts using his index finger for tapping sections? It's like watching a slight of hand magic trick.

And what's this guitar pick doing behind your ear?!

He also manages to tap so cleanly with tons of distortion without using a fretwrap, or even a noise gate, as seen here:

The guy is in a league of his own.

HoneyNut

Regular
Reaction score
I find DT to be much more prog-oriented in the classical prog sense - you can hear more of Rush, Yes etc. Whereas, SX is more rooted in metal, riffs, and not trying to sound proggy for the sake of it.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
MR's technique is just insane to watch - his hands are no bigger than mine (unlike virtually every other shredder), and yet he does things I have no hope of doing without radically re-working the physicality of my playing. Plus, the riffs! "Domination", for example, that rideout/breakdown at the end...<chef's kiss>

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Michael is the king of tapping cleanly. String skipping across multiple strings cleaner sounding than most guitarists with a fretwrap.

I saw them live at a festival once and they played an odd setlist but I did get a front row seat to Romeo warming up on stage before the gig which was insane.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
I think the key to Romeo's tapping, legato and muting technique is in large part how he poses his right hand and holds his pick.

I don't just mean in terms of positioning, either, as Romeo himself explained in the video above. I mean in terms of how he shapes his hand when picking/tapping, which causes a lot of palm contact with the strings. I'll include a couple of pictures below, but basically he holds his hand in such a way that the side of his palm makes a lot of contact with the playing surface while his thumb and index finger holding the pick sort of reach "over" his hand to reach the strings. He also tends to hold his pick between the pads of his thumb and index finger with his index finger mostly extended, which differs from the much more common Paul Gilbert style of gripping the pick against the side of the index finger and keeping the index finger curled.

When tapping, Romeo crowds the strings with both the side and the flat of his palm so that only the string he's playing rings out. It looks a bit unusual because he almost taps in a vertical or diagonal position rather than a horizontal orientation, which he often exaggerates to look like he's pointing at the string.

My technique is more the Petrucci/Gilbert style, but I can see how the way Romeo does it has inherent advantages for muting. It's notable that Paul Gilbert primarily mutes using his left (fretting hand), as explained in the video below. I think this was at least partly necessitated by his picking style, which doesn't grant him the same advantages as Romeo's.

While we speaking about Romeo's technique, his legato/trilling has got to be some of the best ever. His speed is ridiculous. It's by far the hardest part of playing his stuff for me. Anyone else have trouble with that?

Screenshot 2022-02-23 144058.jpgScreenshot 2022-02-23 150248.jpgScreenshot 2022-02-23 152929.jpg

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
I'm about an hour into that Orulian interview with Romeo and he mentions that he used a 7-string for one song on the album. I'm surprised no one mentioned this yet; I guess this is the first we're hearing of it?

Quoting from 53:30ish:

"[The record]'s been done for a while and there was a couple of things I did have to add. [...] And again, trying to make stuff different--you know, we were just talking about making things different than [Symphony X]--those last couple songs, I think "Destroyer" was one, I had the riff laying around and it wasn't really a finished song. I thought, 'man, this is really kind of a friggen pretty heavy riff, maybe I'll try a 7-string on it.' And that's something new, for me."

Romeo goes on to say there was 3 or 4 songs he put together like that nearer to the release of the record but the bulk had been kicking around since 2019 or so. It's unclear whether he used a 7-string only on Destroyer or some of the other songs as well.

How crazy is that going to be, though? Michael Romeo's crushing riffs on a seven? God help us all.

Kolaniak

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm about an hour into that Orulian interview with Romeo and he mentions that he used a 7-string for one song on the album. I'm surprised no one mentioned this yet; I guess this is the first we're hearing of it?

Quoting from 53:30ish:

"[The record]'s been done for a while and there was a couple of things I did have to add. [...] And again, trying to make stuff different--you know, we were just talking about making things different than [Symphony X]--those last couple songs, I think "Destroyer" was one, I had the riff laying around and it wasn't really a finished song. I thought, 'man, this is really kind of a friggen pretty heavy riff, maybe I'll try a 7-string on it.' And that's something new, for me."

Romeo goes on to say there was 3 or 4 songs he put together like that nearer to the release of the record but the bulk had been kicking around since 2019 or so. It's unclear whether he used a 7-string only on Destroyer or some of the other songs as well.

How crazy is that going to be, though? Michael Romeo's crushing riffs on a seven? God help us all.

Romeo already sounds heavy as hell in drop D. Can't imagine him riffing on a 7 string.

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
He used to say he hated 7s. I guess times have changed. :lol:

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No idea. Probably a holdover from when Awake came out, and every "prog metal" band started using them. :shrug:

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
Romeo already sounds heavy as hell in drop D. Can't imagine him riffing on a 7 string.

That he does. Plays in D standard though.

He used to say he hated 7s. I guess times have changed. :lol:

There's some word-of-mouth about that online. In a thread discussing Romeo's tunings from 2006 on the Symphony X forums, as one example. Who's to know what he disliked about it, if anything. Might've just thought it wasn't for him. As a rule, when he's wanted to make music darker/heavier he pursued compositional solutions for that instead.