New Nile album coming

• Thread starter SD83
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
:mf666: :mf666: :mf666: :mf666: :mf666: :mf666: :mf666: :mf666: :mf666: :mf666: :mf666: :mf666: :mf666: :mf666:

Nile was one of the first metal bands I ever got into. I saw the music video for Sarcophagus on Headbangers Ball and I was hooked instantly. I couldn't believe the vocals were so low, I thought they were like special fx or something. I went and bought their cd, and I was expecting more slow stuff like Sarcophagus--but boy was I surprised!

I've been to see the band twice (or three times? huh? I know I've seen them in 2 different places, but I thought I went to one of the places twice). And they are seriously one of the best death metal acts. Kollias is a freak. Karl Sanders bends and sustains the note for so long you think your heads gonna pop. Every Nile album I hear is great (though I doubt they'll ever top Annihilation of the Wicked), and I really enjoyed the last one even though some people apparently had a hard time with it. I can't hear this youtube video at work but I'm definitely very pumped.

Thep

Blast & Sweep
Reaction score
In my opinion, this seems really uninspired. I appreciate them branching out their lyrical themes, but the lyrics themselves seem like they didn't put much thought into it.

As for the music...After listening to Nile for the past 12 years, its not that interesting anymore and sounds the same. I'm sure its still fresh for new listeners.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
10€ they're going to get fatwahed or that the song will actually be distributed among the crazy islam extremists and taken at first level. :/

I also do wish Nile would stop boosting the 18k Hz frequency like mad, too. :D

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
killer music, weaksauce lyrics IMO.

Also lol'd (or not really, it's kinda sad) at the incredible amounts of racism in those youtube comments. Holy ....balls.

PlumbTheDerps

Reaction score
Oh ..... There's the songwriting I missed on the last couple of records. This is so good. I think the lyrics are genius- they're just like your average Nile lyrics, which is a nice reminder/statement that ISIS never really moved out of the pre-modern era.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Music is sick, lyrics fill my spirit with rage. Ironically, some people don't seem to get that this song (while sung from the perspective of a mad mullah) is vehemently anti-ISIL and seeks to demonstrate how heinous their actions are.

Floppystrings

banned
Reaction score
I think Nile is pissed about cool ancient stuff in Egypt getting destroyed.

The music was good, they seem to have some extra energy.

neurosis

Reaction score
This album is going to be great. I sort of prefer the lower almost indecipherable vocals. maybe it was reading the lyrics in the video that made them feel disjointed from the music.

Anyway, good for them. I wonder what reactions the video will have though. Some comments are insane.

quattro19tdi

Subcontrainfrasound
Reaction score
Awesome new song from my favorite band!:hbang: I can't wait to hear the rest of the album!

EmaDaCuz

Brutal yet soulful
Reaction score
The song is pretty nice and solid, but not very Nile-ish. It sounds like an offspring of Dying Fetus raping Deeds of Flesh, with Morbid Angel giving their bless. Cool stuff.
The lyrics are not really theirs, as Karl said they "are actual direct quotes from the words of Abd al-Latif al-Mahmoud".
Looking forward to hearing other songs, though.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Why not actually write lyrics that reject these things, rather than repeat them and sing them? This right here is Poe's Law, no? If it needs a disclaimer before it to say "Just so you know, we don't believe a thing we're saying here", then hasn't the artist failed? Still, credit to them for a song on a topic few artists dare to touch.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Why not actually write lyrics that reject these things, rather than repeat them and sing them? This right here is Poe's Law, no? If it needs a disclaimer before it to say "Just so you know, we don't believe a thing we're saying here", then hasn't the artist failed? Still, credit to them for a song on a topic few artists dare to touch.

Cradle of Filth's "Nemesis" is written from the perspective of a mad mullah jihadi. No disclaimers from them, people should have sense enough to realise they aren't condoning or promoting these topics.

Also, as far as I know, ISIL have not destroyed any historical sites in Egypt, mainly because they are contained to Iraq and Syria.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Cradle of Filth's "Nemesis" is written from the perspective of a mad mullah jihadi. No disclaimers from them, people should have sense enough to realise they aren't condoning or promoting these topics.

Also, as far as I know, ISIL have not destroyed any historical sites in Egypt, mainly because they are contained to Iraq and Syria.

I guess what I'm asking is, what ARE they doing with this topic, really? It looks a lot like nothing. And yes indeed, Iraq and Syria. In the metal world, people say Slayer don't promote violence or hatred, yet in America they're notorious for attracting neo- Nazis to their gigs. People should have sense, sure, but do they? And are the songs not open enough that they are open to interpretations that have very little to do with a grinning smiley Tom Araya wearing a Chile football shirt?

Just read the Cradle lyrics, they don't specifically mention Allah, and I really think that makes them different, they're less explicit.

SD83

Reaction score
No disclaimers from them, people should have sense enough to realise they aren't condoning or promoting these topics.

That. If people misunderstand it and get offended, so be it. If you need someone to explain everything, you unlearn to think for yourself. Welcome to ISIL. I'm sure that was not a message that Nile had in mind though :D

fps

Kit
Reaction score
That. If people misunderstand it and get offended, so be it. If you need someone to explain everything, you unlearn to think for yourself. Welcome to ISIL. I'm sure that was not a message that Nile had in mind though :D

You could play that to Isis themselves and they could think it an endorsement. This isn't about explaining. The words are definitely an explicit endorsement of a world view which Nile are allegedly trying to undercut by just... repeating those words, with really angry hate-filled music as a backing. How does that teach you to think for yourself again? All you're doing is bringing a western viewpoint to it and deciding to interpret the words as wrong based on that, the words and music do nothing to move a person in one direction or another, they will reinforce pre-existing cultural bias.

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
Why not write a song from their perspective? I thought that was a valid way of writing a song about a certain subject. It's not like it is sugar coated or anything, trying to show support for it or present it in a different way to present it as a favorable group.

Inverted11

Reaction score
Pretty sick. Wonder if this got flagged by some NSA-type agency :ugh:

Latest posts