New Peculate Album: Progressive/Symphonic/Experimental Math Metal

Peculate

Reaction score
I just released a new album, In Two (A). It's 48 minutes of insane, genre-hopping progressive/experimental metal. Like usual, it's incredibly heavy and mathy, with lots of tech death influences (with a few breakdown-ish moments here and there), with about 75% heavy vocals and 25% clean. This album is much more "melodic" and "symphonic" than my past releases though. It has string orchestra in basically every song, and it has a lot of piano, string quartet, etc. I guess you could say it's "symphonic metal" or "neo-classical metal," but I don't really like those terms. There's also a bit of jazz, funk, etc.—even surf rock, haha.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/peculate/sets/in-two-a[/SC]

I have free downloads for all my albums at Bandcamp. I sometimes run out of free download credits (like right now), but they'll be back soon.
In Two (A) | Peculate

Let me know what you all think! I usually get great feedback on here.

(For those interested, all the guitars on the album are my Carvin DC747, tuned completely down a major third (G-C-F-Bb-Eb-G-C), with BK Aftermaths and an Axe-Fx II; and all the drums are Superior Drummer 2.)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
InSANE album! I reviewed it for my blog, here's what I had to say
The first part of a two-part concept comes A, Peculate‘s fourth full-length in a year, and the first one of 2014. It’s also arguably his most refined and overall best work to date.

Reminiscent at times of Frank Zappa, the album stirs together multiple vocal harmonies with contrapuntal staccato riffs and wonderful strings and piano parts. It’s an album about binaries, and with a traditional Peculate style, those are decried because they serve the power in place.

It’s an amazing album, and possibly his best yet! For such a prolific artist as him it’s an honour because his writing method and style don’t seem to show any sign of wearing, and it only looks bright for the future. With an approximate rate of one EP each month or so, and a bunch of full-lengths throughout the year, we don’t doubt that more mind-challenging and crave-soothing music will come out way soon!

Download this, CTEBCM approved!

Doulton

Reaction score
I'm two songs in and loving everything. The sound is similar to Between the Buried and Me, but also has its own identity and stands out. Count me a new fan!:hbang:

Nykur_Myrkvi

Reaction score
I've liked all your stuff so far but this is your best album hands down. Awesome stuff. Purchased without a single regret.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
This album is just too ....ing cool

hikizume976

Reaction score
really cool! do I hear a little of #12 in there? :)

Also, whaddya mean "the inherent problematic and fundamentally unnatural nature of binaries, exploring how they are hegemonic constructs used to serve power. "?!?!?!

Peculate

Reaction score
really cool! do I hear a little of #12 in there? :)
Thanks!
What do you mean by #12? 12-tone serialism? There's definitely 12-tone—there's 12-tone in everything I do, even the more "melodic" stuff, haha. The beginning of "The World's a Stage" is the 12-tone row itself laid out.

Also, whaddya mean "the inherent problematic and fundamentally unnatural nature of binaries, exploring how they are hegemonic constructs used to serve power. "?!?!?!
I mean that very few things in nature are actually truly binary. Binaries are often constructed by powerful groups (whether consciously or unconsciously) in order to support and maintain their power, their hegemony.

I explain this all with the lyrics of the songs, of course.

Politics is a great example of this: There are infinitely many ideological variations outside of a political binary, but, in the US, along with many other countries, a ridiculous binary is set up saying you are either Republican or Democrat—even though they are basically the same party, serving the interest of the rich and of multinational corporations. (As Chomsky says, they are the two factions of the same Business Party.) This binary ultimately serves power. It is not natural at all; it forces people to think not in terms of the infinite variety of political ideologies but in terms of a limited two-sided debate that ignores this huge potential variety, propagating the power of Republicans and Democrats. As I say in "Illusions of Choice":

"Toe the line
we draw for you.
Pick one.
They’re both lethal.
The only difference is the taste.
So pick your poison.
Pick your party.
The catch is they’re both the same.
But pick your party.
Just play the game.

The illusion of choice.
The illusion of voice.
We choose the choice you think you have.
And your choice dictates your voice

“Express yourself” with the choice
we voiced
and the voice
we chose for you."

Gender is another big example of this. No objective gender binary exists. Gender is culturally constructed. Some cultures have three or more genders (e.g., South Asia, some indigenous groups in South America, many more examples). What's considered "masculine" in one culture is often considered "feminine" in another, and vice-versa. The gender binary is neither object nor "natural"; it is constructed. The danger however is, often, the gender binary is used by hegemonic groups so they can alienate and "other" individuals and groups who refuse to confine themselves to the hegemonic group's arbitrary standards.

hikizume976

Reaction score
What do you mean by #12?

I meant the band #12 looks like you. I was wondering whether they were one of your influences :p

Anyway man nice job. I've been looking for some fresh new music and I have a feeling this might do the trick :)

Peculate

Reaction score
I meant the band #12 looks like you. I was wondering whether they were one of your influences :p

Anyway man nice job. I've been looking for some fresh new music and I have a feeling this might do the trick :)

Ah, my bad. :p
I listened to all #12's albums a few years ago, but I haven't really listened since. I remember really liking Worse Than Alone, but, unfortunately, it's been at least 2 years since I listened to it. I'm gonna have to pull it back out. Thanks!