new pickups for an Ibanez RG270

ErwinBaeyens

Reaction score
Hello,

I got a cheap RG270 about a week or two ago but yesterday the pickups stopped working. I changed the strings, messed aroud with it for a while and all was ok. Then I put it a way to get dinner and when I got back it was dead.

i've opened the cavity to check and although everything is still connected, there is no sound. I can see that someone has been in there before and there is a lot of shrinktube used. Also the connections to the switch do not seem to be right.

Instead of trying to debug this, and the cables on the pickups are rather short. I would like to get some new pickups and redo the whole wiring so that it is good again as it is a guitar that plays fine and I like it.

What would be good pickups to put in there?
I was thinking a Duncan JB at the bridge and a Jazz at the neck, but what would be a good middle single coil to go with that. Also these are a bit too expensive to be able to recuperate the money if I ever decide to resale the guitar.
So if anyone knows any el-cheapo alternatives please let me know.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mogar

Reaction score
Pickups shouldn't just die out of nowhere, so just re-doing the rat nest of wiring should be able to get it back up and running. As for a good single to pair with that set, I'd go with a SSL-1.

As for something cheaper, there are companies like Dragonfire and GFS out there that do some alright stuff. But at the end of the day, I'd still just go for the Duncans. I mean, you can always remove them later and put the stock ones back in to flip it.

ErwinBaeyens

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
Redoing the rats nest will be difficult as the wires on the pickups are short and already full of shrink tube. We all know how cramped the cavities of a backouted RG are. Reusing these pickups on resale is not really an option for the same reason as is redoing difficult.