New Pickups for my brand new RGA8

iiDaBoss

Reaction score
Just picked up a brand new Ibanez RGA8 yesterday (sexiest guitar I've ever owned + my first 8 string :hbang:), and it plays like a guitar made in heaven - and it would be - were it not for the atrocious pick-ups.

I am planning on buying some SD Blackouts, because they sound great (distorted and clean) and they're not too expensive. If anyone has any objections or suggestions though, any imput will help! :metal:

(I don't have heaps and heaps of cash, so unless you can justify why I absolutely have to have a $400 set of PU's, please don't suggest them)

Thanks in advance everyone =D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey there I actually have a set of Blackouts 8s for sale $150 shipped to you and I am also in Canada. :) Btw they are excellent pickups the only disadvantage I found they had is they ran on a battery they sound excellent though. I just prefer passives.

Kamikaze7

Banned
Reaction score
I didn't care for the Blackouts when I had and tried them. I found them to be too high-end-y and noisy, even with being wired correctly using the new EMG wiring kits. I would honestly say either the EMG 808X's or a set of the new DiMarzio D-Activator 8's would be a much better choice. I have the 808X in my ESP FM-408 and it's by far the best pickup I've used yet. Clarity and lots of headroom with dynamics and versatility make it a very nice and useful pickup.

And the DiMarzios will fit into the existing cavities without any modifying the pickup or the guitar, nor do they need special rings to mount them to. The ONLY downfall is you'd have to swap all your pots over to 500K ohm instead of using the factory Ibanez stuff. But then again, you'd probably wanna swap everything with either one anyway.

Adam

Contributor
Reaction score
Here's a quick pic. the white mark on the neck pickup is just the flash.
DSC02176.jpg