New Project Day: I have my work cut out for me…

• Thread starter Slayer89
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score
So today (yesterday at this point?) I made a drive down an hour south and picked up a 2014 Schecter KM7. I bought it for next to nothing knowing that it was in very rough shape. Well, once I picked it up I realized it was in much rougher shape than I initially thought. The neck was broken off at one point and reset, the pot/switch were missing, the bridge is missing a saddle, and three of the original tuners were missing amongst other smaller issues. Hell, when I picked it up half the strings that were actually on it were bronze acoustic strings lol. All that being said, the Nazgûl/Sentient pickups were still there and the body/neck were in good condition (despite the mess made when it was reset). This is going to be one hell of a project, but I’m very excited to jam on it once it is finished.

IMG_8750.jpeg
IMG_8751.jpeg
IMG_8752.jpeg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kriff

You've failed me for the last time, Admiral
Reaction score
Holy shit dude, keep us posted. I guess it's just been stripped for parts but I'm always shocked how guitars can end up in that kind of condition.

Nobody

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Can’t wait to see this thing fixed. Such a nice guitar to be treated so badly

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score
Sorry for the lack of updates. Been working a ton of OT at work lately.

Quick little update, trying to get all the glue and gunk ended up taking some of the white off. So my options were sand it down and leave it natural, do a solid paint job, or give staining a try. Never stained before so I figured why not. This is how she’s looking now. Not perfect, but I’m happy with it. Now just waiting on parts and cleaning up the back so I can get this bad boy (or girl lol) back together.

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score
Are you leaving the binding as is? It looks cool!
Thanks! Yeah, originally I planned to tape off the binding, but I like the purple stain over it better than a bright white. Probably the “wrong” call, but I like it.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
Thanks! Yeah, originally I planned to tape off the binding, but I like the purple stain over it better than a bright white. Probably the “wrong” call, but I like it.
Most definitely the "right" call. It adds such a sick highlight to the rest of the body shape like this.
How much sanding and cleaning did you do? The top looks so much more defined.

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score
Most definitely the "right" call. It adds such a sick highlight to the rest of the body shape like this.
How much sanding and cleaning did you do? The top looks so much more defined.
probably 5-7 passes of 1500 and 3000 grit sand paper, wet sanding every time. Very light touch.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Everything is in so just assembling, wiring, and setup left. Got the strings on tuned them, went to stretch them, and the high e snapped. Of course lol. Getting close, though.

Got a burr on the saddle or were you just he-man yanking it?