New Rack Day! (Bogner/Mesa Content)

• Thread starter loganflynn294
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

loganflynn294

I don't feel good
Reaction score
Soooooo, this was not planned at all. Never had any intention of going down this road, but, being a huge Bogner and Cantrell fan I couldn't pass up such a rare piece...

rsz_20200108_191134_-_copy.jpg rsz_20200108_191113.jpg

My two current main amps are a Bogner 20th Shiva (my 3rd Shiva) and an early Uberschall Rev2. While I'm totally happy with both of those, I've always wanted to try a Fish. Been casually looking for one for years. Then, one pops up on Reverb. Not just any Fish, but one of the newer reissues. And it has the "Cantrell Mod" done to the Shark channel. I've never clicked "Add to Cart" faster in my life! I've been piecing this rack together over the past two weeks and this is what I've got set up so far:

ART Pro 4x4 power conditioner
Bogner Fish
RSP (Rocktron) Intelliverb
MXR M235 Smart Gate Pro Rack
Mesa 2:90
Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro/GCX

Still trying to dial everything in, but so far it sounds incredible!!! The Cantrell channel sounds part Uber, part Shiva, and part XTC. It's voiced like a super pissed off modded Marshall type of tone with the signature Bogner chewy low mid grind and bouncy/saggy top end. It's actually got waaay more gain than the Uber too, turning the gain past noon makes it completely useless. It's actually pretty damn aggressive with the gain at just 9:00! Haven't really messed around too much with the other channels yet, I'm hoping to get a cleanish/mildly dirty sound and a nice lead tone out of them, we'll see...

As for the other stuff, the GCX and Ground Control was pretty easy to set up and program. I've got the GCX set up to switch channels on the Fish, activate/deactivate the Deeo and Modern settings on the Mesa, and turn the two channels on the Mxr gate on/off. The Intelliverb is taking a crap on me, works great for 10-15 minutes and then there's a huuuuge volume drop that randomly cuts in and out. Gotta get that sorted out before I start tweaking presets.

All this goes through an old rear loaded Uberkab. Gotta start bulking up so I can actually lift this thing and take it to my jam spot to try through some other cabs!

Thanks for listening to me babble!

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I've heard that Jerry Cantrell liked the reissue Fish so much that he didn't even want the mods done to it. That's a winning combo right there.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

loganflynn294

I don't feel good
Reaction score
I've heard that Jerry Cantrell liked the reissue Fish so much that he didn't even want the mods done to it. That's a winning combo right there.

I heard the same thing, I think he's mellowing with age hahaha. His current tone is less aggro than his early tones. Not a bad thing, his current tones are just so damn fat and huge sounding. Got a chance to borrow a friends JJ 100 for a week and while it's not the most high gain metal amp in the world, it's pretty damn thick and clear sounding.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I heard the same thing, I think he's mellowing with age hahaha. His current tone is less aggro than his early tones. Not a bad thing, his current tones are just so damn fat and huge sounding. Got a chance to borrow a friends JJ 100 for a week and while it's not the most high gain metal amp in the world, it's pretty damn thick and clear sounding.

I dunno about that, I remember his tones between 2005 - 2009 (Bogner Fish/Uber era) being pretty fucking mean. :lol: His tone did sound pretty meh when it switched to Friedman, though

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
I'm a Dirt era Cantrell tone fan. There's something about the blend of a Recto with a modded Marshall that just SLAYS. Congrats. I've looked at getting a Fish as well.

Mourguitars

Reaction score
Yay! Old people racks rock! (wait, uh, that came out wrong) Welcome to the club! I love all the pieces in this setup. I'm a rack guy myself.

Lol...i had some kid call me a "old head " the other day....

Ive been looking for one of those Intelliverbs...there was a mint Sansamp rack pre on my CL for a $100 the other day..sold before i could reply..keep looking...

But again what a sweet looking rig ! Congrats

Mike

loganflynn294

I don't feel good
Reaction score
I dunno about that, I remember his tones between 2005 - 2009 (Bogner Fish/Uber era) being pretty fucking mean. :lol: His tone did sound pretty meh when it switched to Friedman, though

Actually I think the newer Fish reissues came out in 2009, so those kickass live tones are probably still his old modded Fish amps. I first saw him on the first leg of the Black Gives Way To Blue tour, think he was using and Uber and either a Shiva or Alchemist. Tone was good for the newer stuff but didnt have a good bite for the older songs.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Actually I think the newer Fish reissues came out in 2009, so those kickass live tones are probably still his old modded Fish amps. I first saw him on the first leg of the Black Gives Way To Blue tour, think he was using and Uber and either a Shiva or Alchemist. Tone was good for the newer stuff but didnt have a good bite for the older songs.

Oooh i thought the RIs were mid 2000s. In that case yeah, the old Fish still sounds better. :lol:

loganflynn294

I don't feel good
Reaction score
Killer rig! Haven't seen many people using the MXR rack gate. How do you like it?
Haven't had much time to set it up yet. The "manual" it comes with is a total joke, doesnt really explain anything in detail. Only reason I got it was to hopefully use one channel before the preamp and one after the preamp to cut out all the hiss. Also the fact that I can turn each gate on and off with the GCX is a plus. My clean sound is basically rolling back the guitar volume knob and I needed to be able to turn the gates off so it doesnt keep cutting the signal when it gets low like that.