New riff recording with Axe-FX II

• Thread starter russmuller
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

russmuller

Cramblin'
Reaction score
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/russell-muller/that-one-riff-demo-03[/SC]

This is a riff I've been kicking around for a long time, but today I finally decided to record it. Check it out!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cynic

Bored Stiff
Reaction score
i really like the idea. bass is too loud for me, though.

BTFStan

BTFStan
Reaction score
do you have two guitar tracks going? it doesnt sound bad but the bass needs turned down and two guitar tracks panned HARD left and right. like 100%L 100%R
you should notice an immediate open-ness to the mix and the guitars occupy their own space in the mix rather than battle the bass guitar which is what's happening now.

russmuller

Cramblin'
Reaction score
Yeah, the bass IS too much right here. My roommate works on the phone from home, so I am tracking and programming on headphones where the bass is boosted to compensate. It usually takes a few tests through my main monitors and my car before I get that balanced right.

It's just 1 guitar. For these little idea sketches where it's just a riff or two, I'm just single-tracking. Usually I double-track with the guitars panned, then I'll add a 3rd in the middle for any parts that need reinforcement like a big chorus.

pkgitar

Reaction score
It's a cool riff!

Just wanna put it out there that rhythm guitars don't always have to be panned 100% left and right. 80% (as an example) is nice too for them to fill the stereo image a bit more while still sounding big on each side with bass in the middle.

russmuller

Cramblin'
Reaction score
I don't think 2 guitar tracks are necessary to get the idea of the riff across, which is really all I'm aiming to do with this. When I'm recording it as part of a song, then I'll probably bother to double-track (provided it actually sounds better when I A/B it).

Latest posts