New Steinberger's

RichIKE

Warforged
Reaction score
Where would i go about buying one? I'd like to find a USA GR-4R but the internet is barren with places to buy one. can anyone help me out?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Goddammit you got my hopes up. :(

eBay, Guitarcenter's used section, "for sale" sections on forums, and Craigslist are your best bets. Anywhere you can find used gear.

Reaction score
Goddammit you got my hopes up. :(

eBay, Guitarcenter's used section, "for sale" sections on forums, and Craigslist are your best bets. Anywhere you can find used gear.

Steinbergers are now made by Gibson under the shitty "Spirit" series. You can get them, but their are very cheap, probably have quality control problems, and aren't real Steinbergers.

(Even the Hohner ones were decent....but this is a no-no.)

I miss the ACTUAL Steinberger Steinberger guitars...

#cynic #holdsworth

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Steinbergers are now made by Gibson under the shitty "Spirit" series. You can get them, but their are very cheap, probably have quality control problems, and aren't real Steinbergers.

I don't think they make the G series shape anymore, which is what OP wanted.

Also, the cheapest, high-quality headless you're gonna find is the Carvin Holdsworth.

Tommy

Terribly Unlucky
Reaction score
Carvin HH2

Carvin makes a headless Holdsworth model. Comes in the dual or single humbucker model. Pretty neat if you ask me. The regular Holdsworth that has a head is awesome so I can only imagine what the headless version is like.

icepick

Reaction score
Carvin HH2

Carvin makes a headless Holdsworth model. Comes in the dual or single humbucker model. Pretty neat if you ask me. The regular Holdsworth that has a head is awesome so I can only imagine what the headless version is like.

I've played on one of the headless Holdsworth models before and because of it's smaller chambered body and the lack of the headstock it was one of the lightest guitars I've ever held (honestly took some getting used to). Still had amazing sound too and of course with all Carvins it could shred for days.

Carvin>Steinberger IMHO :yesway:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Aw man, I was SO god damn excited for a minute

Carvin > Steinberger

Have you played both to make this comparison? My old GR4 was a kick-ass guitar and the best part about it was not only could I take it on an airplane and put it in the overhead compartment (suck my nuts baggage claims!) but also that I didn't have to worry about the neck adjusting to any sort of climate changes because it was all made of one piece of composite material. Their necks have a great profile and feel while still being easy maintenance.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score

(Even the Hohner ones were decent....but this is a no-no.)

I miss the ACTUAL Steinberger Steinberger guitars...

#cynic #holdsworth
This is inaccurate on several levels. Gibson has owned Steinberger since the late 80s, and they continued to make "real" Steinbergers for many years afterwards, introducing the Spirits alongside the higher end American-made models. Spirits, in my opinion, are excellent guitars for the money, though they admittedly aren't what the OP is looking for. Also, having played both a pre-Gibson Steinberger and a later MusicYo model, I think the later model was much better. Gibson still makes "real" Steinbergers as well, and although they're different from the older models in several ways, they're good guitars also.

Also, GRs were the low-end US models, and they use the same bridge as the Spirits.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
Actually, here's a more helpful post:

If you don't want to buy used, you can buy a Spirit GU7R, which, again, are great guitars for the money, but they are import budget models. Like I said, this uses the exact same bridge as the GR models. You can buy a graphite neck from Moses (the same necks that came on the GRs), and effectively have a GR for much less. There are also some companies that make Steinberger parts, so you could assemble one yourself if you really want to.

Oneirokritikos

Reaction score
The original ( and Moses) carbon necks are amazing. The regular Spirit necks are ok, nothing to write home about. I also advise getting a used Spirit GU and fitting a Moses neck - they can build you one adapted to Spirit heels.