New to weightlifting

• Thread starter JPMDan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
Well me and my roommate are talking about being weightlifting partners. I want to know what are some good workout routines and best supplements out there. Basically I'm 5'6" and weigh about 155lbs. I'm a skinny small guy looking to develop my chest, biceps, triceps, upper and lower back with a little more mass and of course keep my legs in shape as well. So I'm thinking maybe some protein to start off for now then add creatine to my supplements and of course the usual multivitamins. Diets I can live on a protein shake for breakfast and lunch then a nice healthy dinner. What do you guys recommend?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dive-Baum

Bite Me Fan Boy!!
Reaction score
Yeah, I know quite a bit about it. As far as your partner goes..1) be sure you have similar schedules 2)similar strength levels (it does no good to have a partner if he cant snatch the bar off of your chest if you fail to make a clean rep on bench) If he can't you get seriously injured or worse. 3) make sure you have similar goals

As far as suppliments go look for anything from Muscletech. If they make it, it is backed by actual science and more importantly, it works. Really works.
Here is what you want. Cell-Tech (creatine) load for 3 days before you work out for the first time (do NOT take this if you are diabetic or hypoglycemic) it causes a HUGE insulin spike. A rule of thub for dosing is take doses until you smell it in your piss. Take no more that 2x per day. Next Nitro-Tech (Protein) Be sure you take in at least 1 gram of protein per body pound from multiple sources...meat, eggs(lots of em), chicken, milk, I take in about 300 grams per day. Next look at the non traditional stuff like Gakic, Leukic, Pump Tech, and Anator p70. All of these are HARDCORE suppliments and should not be taken at first...and it depends on you current level of fitness and dedication.
If you are pretty strong already and have some experience with weights then wait 2 weeks before taking this stuff or it will kick your ass. This stuff will make you grow like crazy (seriously) and you will be sore as fuck after you use it. Pump Tech is a Nitric Oxide suppliment also known as a hemo-dialator. It basically opens up your blood vessels which lets the blood feed your muscles and also carries away waste product more effectively. Leukic is a compound that keeps your body in a constant anabolic state. That means you are constantly building muscle. It keeps you from letting your body lapse into catabolism (muscle eating) which is bad. Gakic, which is taken just before you work out and takes like rotten ass make you 10.5% stronger within 15 minutes..really. Anator p70 actually bypasses your genetic triggers for muscle growth. Some people are genetically gifted and are fast gainers (gain muscle mass quickly) some kinda slowly..this stuff is the great equalizer. YOU WILL GROW WITH THIS STUFF. PERIOD. You will also need to consume an insaine ammount of water while taking this stuff. you wil be constantly thirsty...drink after you do not want anymore. If you have any other questions let me know.

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
My schedule is pretty open, he's alot stronger than I am, our goals are different he wants to trim down and develop his body (he's 42 and large gut) while I want to develop some mass and feel better about myself and my health. My fitness level is pretty low but I used to workout without supplements and after a few months I wasn't seeing the results I wanted so I had quit but this was over a year ago.

So basically start out with the Celltech and Nitrotech correct? Then about 1 month or so add the other stuff or add 1 thing at a time?

Dive-Baum

Bite Me Fan Boy!!
Reaction score
Yeah, all the stuff combined is really expensive. A bottle of Anator is about $100 for one month. It helps if the partner has the same goals but not crucial. Just be sure you each know that you are going to be doing different things. You are going to want to go as heavy as you can with fewer reps, he will go with higher reps. What you need to do for the first 2 weeks is not concentrate on your training split. Every day you go in there do a complete body workout. This will allow your body to adapt to your new routine and you will get the soreness out of the way at once. The creatine will help with that. Take it easy when you go in the first few times. Don't be macho. Check your ego at the door or you are setting yourself up for injury or failure. There are gonna be huge guys in there who can curl what you weigh. Don't pay attention to the weight they are putting up, watch what they do and how they lift. You will see the ones to watch and they aren't always the biggest. Don't bug them though. Don't be that guy. Go get a couple of issues of Flex and Muscle and Fitness. There are tons of articles to help you on your way. Stay focused on your exercise you are doing. Feel the target muscle contract as you go through the progression of your rep. Concentration is key. Don't cheat to get something up. You increase your odds of injury. Follow correct form. Good luck

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
I remember when I was working out I was doing 12 rep workout should I do smaller reps than that? I've always had great form and concentration plus I never get intimidated by other guys lifting heavy weight. I also have more common sense than to act macho and try to lift heavy weights. I also make it a routine to stretch before doing anything and stretch muscles in between workouts.

Dive-Baum

Bite Me Fan Boy!!
Reaction score
Also try bodybuilders.com for some more info

It sounds like you have the right idea. Just be patient. The suppliments will help you grow. That is the most frustrating thing. Working hard and not seeing results. I had that problem when I was younger. But from 25 on I show quickly now. Actually I show faster now than ever before at 31

Thanks for the rep BTW

A good rule of thumb is if you can do 15 reps, step up the wieght. Start off whith what you think you can do. If it seems too easy, increase the weight, and vice versa. Keep a log book to keep track of what feels right so you don't waste time trying to remember what you did before. Those black and white composition books are really perfect.

nyck

blah!
Reaction score
Dive-Baum said:
Yeah, I know quite a bit about it. As far as your partner goes..1) be sure you have similar schedules 2)similar strength levels (it does no good to have a partner if he cant snatch the bar off of your chest if you fail to make a clean rep on bench) If he can't you get seriously injured or worse. 3) make sure you have similar goals

As far as suppliments go look for anything from Muscletech. If they make it, it is backed by actual science and more importantly, it works. Really works.
Here is what you want. Cell-Tech (creatine) load for 3 days before you work out for the first time (do NOT take this if you are diabetic or hypoglycemic) it causes a HUGE insulin spike. A rule of thub for dosing is take doses until you smell it in your piss. Take no more that 2x per day. Next Nitro-Tech (Protein) Be sure you take in at least 1 gram of protein per body pound from multiple sources...meat, eggs(lots of em), chicken, milk, I take in about 300 grams per day. Next look at the non traditional stuff like Gakic, Leukic, Pump Tech, and Anator p70. All of these are HARDCORE suppliments and should not be taken at first...and it depends on you current level of fitness and dedication.
If you are pretty strong already and have some experience with weights then wait 2 weeks before taking this stuff or it will kick your ass. This stuff will make you grow like crazy (seriously) and you will be sore as fuck after you use it. Pump Tech is a Nitric Oxide suppliment also known as a hemo-dialator. It basically opens up your blood vessels which lets the blood feed your muscles and also carries away waste product more effectively. Leukic is a compound that keeps your body in a constant anabolic state. That means you are constantly building muscle. It keeps you from letting your body lapse into catabolism (muscle eating) which is bad. Gakic, which is taken just before you work out and takes like rotten ass make you 10.5% stronger within 15 minutes..really. Anator p70 actually bypasses your genetic triggers for muscle growth. Some people are genetically gifted and are fast gainers (gain muscle mass quickly) some kinda slowly..this stuff is the great equalizer. YOU WILL GROW WITH THIS STUFF. PERIOD. You will also need to consume an insaine ammount of water while taking this stuff. you wil be constantly thirsty...drink after you do not want anymore. If you have any other questions let me know.
Good info man. :yesway:

Dive-Baum

Bite Me Fan Boy!!
Reaction score
Thanks, I've experimented with them all. I have 5 bad discs in my back and my only shot at a half assed normal life is to be strong and maximize my time in the gym because I never know when my back will go out and I'm on my ass for a few weeks or months.

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
Dive-Baum said:
Keep a log book to keep track of what feels right so you don't waste time trying to remember what you did before. Those black and white composition books are really perfect.

This is something I did not do when I was lifting, how would I log in my info?

Dive-Baum

Bite Me Fan Boy!!
Reaction score
OK Here's my :2c:

1) keep a log. I have seperate pages for each body area. Seperate them into major categories for now, ie: Legs, Back, Chest, Arms, Shoulders. Then write the name of the exercise in a column under the group. Give yourself some room going in all directions for corrections & additions.

2) I think the guy's workout is good for STARTERS. It could be a good guide to break you in. I thought there were a few exercises missing personally.

Do yourself a favor and go buy the Body Building Bible. It is called the New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding. It was written by The Man Himself..The Governator Arnold Schwarzenneger. He is one of if not the most intelligent bodybuilder ever. He has done so much personal research into fitness it is crazy. He really knows his shit. It isn't really expensive for as big as it is and you will not find more info in one book anywhere.:yoda:

Dive-Baum

Bite Me Fan Boy!!
Reaction score
Missing from his workout:

Chest: Pec Deck, Pulley push downs. Stand in pully rack with cables on high setting on each end. Use pecs to do a decline bench movement.) Also alternate in dumbells on flat, incline and decline bench. Muscle confusion if the key. I almost never do the same workout on a body part 2 times in a row in the rotation.
Back:Lat Pulldowns (the single most important exercise for building lats which ofcourse gives you the V look) use alternating close grip and wide grip. Feel your lats pul and don't cheat. It is east to use your arms more than your lats. This is also a secondary exercise for biceps. SO be sure not to do back and arms in back to back days. Also missing back extensions. gotta build the base for the massive frame that will come.
Legs are good but you can add adduction and abduction. Works inner and outer thighs. Mainly for chicks but it will kick your ass. Also throw in calf raises..come to think of it, he was missing quite a bit.
Shoulders: Shrugs. Also a major lift to detirmine your overall look. What is more intimidating than a nice huge sloping set of traps? Also front dumbell raises.
OK for some reason he seperated biceps out...strange add a dumbell walk after you get going and it is all you will have to do. Start at the lowest weight and do 5 reps each for each arm and walk your way up in 5 pound incriments until you can no longer do 5 reps, then walk your way back down...This is advanced and you should do this after a month or two of hitting it hard.
Triceps: Remember this is a secondary muscle used in bench so you need to work around that. If after you do your bench and your chest isnt as pumped as you think it should be, your triceps are holding you back so work 'em. Do standing cable pull downs. Stand straight and pull down using your albows only. This will burn like a mofo. Use the dual rope grip. I also think close grip presses are a waste of time. Ignore them.

If you follow what I have told you, you will be a freak in a year. Especially if you are skinny now. Remember to eat about 5 small meals a day loaded with protein. You have to eat to grow, there is no way around it. Food is fuel.

Hellbound

€£¥€£¥€£¥€£•
Reaction score
Dive-Baum said:
Thanks, I've experimented with them all. I have 5 bad discs in my back and my only shot at a half assed normal life is to be strong and maximize my time in the gym because I never know when my back will go out and I'm on my ass for a few weeks or months.

I know how you feel I have 2 bad discs in my back and it's amazing I can lift the way I do. Mine is from a motorcross accident. It's funny if I stop working out for a couple of weeks the pain in my back comes back but lifting heavy keeps my back feeling nice and strong. Also I bought I huge bottle of Bio-freeze and I put that on my back at night's whether I need it or not and oh man does it feel good gets nice and cold good stuff. I've been out of the gym for 2 weeks from being sick and I feel like a shrivled up prune....probably look like that too I was taking NO-xplode for a while and lifting heavy and I've already lost some muscle from being sick.....been here before though but that's why I love muscle memory comes back quick.:cool:

Dive-Baum

Bite Me Fan Boy!!
Reaction score
Yes it does remember. Amazing isn't it? It's strange, you just can not explain to someone how bad back pain is unless they have experienced it. I lift until my back tells me otherwise usually. But it does seem like it starts to hurt more if I don't lift. It is a strange relationship.

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
I ordered the Cell-tech in Grape Flavor for 41.50, whats the best flavor for NitroTech? I'm thinking Chocolate or Strawberry.

oh yea I forgot, do I order the 1987 book or the 1999 one?

Edit, nevermind I PMed you.