new Tones, new Mix, new level of Heaviness, Thoughts?

• Thread starter Sylim
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sylim

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

i´m really not making it easy for myself. i kind of try to bridge the gap between early 2000´s nu-metal and modern death core or something. both in song writing and mixing. i stripped down my drum mixing even more and kept it really simple to make it feel more raw. i also made prominent use of my octave fuzz for the main riff. you guys think i´m on the right track here? sadly no vocals yet. still gotta work on that and see how i´ll mix those.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cyanide_Anima

Weeee!
Reaction score
Sounds pretty dope, dude! Definitely getting that mid 00's vibe on the production. Slight Slipknot vibe on the drums. On a great track for sure. Sweet riffs, really interesting writing. Mix is really nice. What's not to like about this. What are you using for drums?

Sylim

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sounds pretty dope, dude! Definitely getting that mid 00's vibe on the production. Slight Slipknot vibe on the drums. On a great track for sure. Sweet riffs, really interesting writing. Mix is really nice. What's not to like about this. What are you using for drums?
hey thanks for the feedback. i use Native Instrument Modern Drummer. it´s not very well known and not widely used, but i absolutely love the sound of the white kit. and it manages to keep a natural feel even when you totally over produce it.

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score

i´m really not making it easy for myself. i kind of try to bridge the gap between early 2000´s nu-metal and modern death core or something. both in song writing and mixing. i stripped down my drum mixing even more and kept it really simple to make it feel more raw. i also made prominent use of my octave fuzz for the main riff. you guys think i´m on the right track here? sadly no vocals yet. still gotta work on that and see how i´ll mix those.

Yeah that's sounds savage dude. :hbang:

I will say, I am not completely convinced by intro guitar sound. I think it's the octave fuzz that I'm hearing, but not completely sure. I know that it's supposed to sound dirty and raw and horrible, but to my ear it's a bit too hairy and fuzzy. I know it's on purpose, but in a vacuum it sounds like it might just be bad tone.

I do like the drums though. I like particularly that you have resisted the urge to go completely nuts with the double kicks and such. There's some good variety there, but the drums are serving the song instead of showing off.

I'll be interested to see what you do with the vocals, and I would like to lobby for you to lean more towards the 2000s nu metal rather than the cookiemonster death metal. Assuming that I'm hearing it right and the verse kicks in at circa 0:33, I think it is just screaming for a real fast Corey Taylor rap/screamed line, and there is room in the mix to facilitate that without too much effort. A Suicide Silence type line would be fine, a kinda higher pitched almost black metal vocal line, but ooooof that fast riff to me is just saying "drop it right on the beat and do really weird rhymes". You don't even have to do it for long! It slows up, and then it gets a little groove into the chorus and that'd give you plenty of vocal variety and... Urgh the way you write songs is just my dream as a singer. Don't tell my band though, eh? And, er... When will Sylim body pillows be on sale?

Edit - Heckling from the gallery has reminded me that Suicide Silence have been through different sounds and singers, and that they are more well known for being cookiemonster but the style I had in mind was like this one from You Only Live Once

Last edited:

Sylim

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah that's sounds savage dude. :hbang:

I will say, I am not completely convinced by intro guitar sound. I think it's the octave fuzz that I'm hearing, but not completely sure. I know that it's supposed to sound dirty and raw and horrible, but to my ear it's a bit too hairy and fuzzy. I know it's on purpose, but in a vacuum it sounds like it might just be bad tone.

I do like the drums though. I like particularly that you have resisted the urge to go completely nuts with the double kicks and such. There's some good variety there, but the drums are serving the song instead of showing off.

I'll be interested to see what you do with the vocals, and I would like to lobby for you to lean more towards the 2000s nu metal rather than the cookiemonster death metal. Assuming that I'm hearing it right and the verse kicks in at circa 0:33, I think it is just screaming for a real fast Corey Taylor rap/screamed line, and there is room in the mix to facilitate that without too much effort. A Suicide Silence type line would be fine, a kinda higher pitched almost black metal vocal line, but ooooof that fast riff to me is just saying "drop it right on the beat and do really weird rhymes". You don't even have to do it for long! It slows up, and then it gets a little groove into the chorus and that'd give you plenty of vocal variety and... Urgh the way you write songs is just my dream as a singer. Don't tell my band though, eh? And, er... When will Sylim body pillows be on sale?

Edit - Heckling from the gallery has reminded me that Suicide Silence have been through different sounds and singers, and that they are more well known for being cookiemonster but the style I had in mind was like this one from You Only Live Once
dude, you read my mind. i think i just dialed the gain on my amp a tad too high. i use an Orange Dark Terror, so "hairy and fuzzy" is the perfect description. when i dial down the gain it clears up. so i´ll reamp those parts.
vocals, too. Slipknot is one of my favorite bands and i hear Corey´s voice in my head a lot when i´m thinking about vocals. but also nowadays Will Ramos from Lorna Shore has become one of my favorite vocalists. so high golum squeals and low roars could find their place here and there.
still a work in progress, but i´ll post updates as i get them done.
also, yes, the early 2000´s nu-metal head banging grooviness is totally my thing, especially mixed with more technical riffing. my latest album is pretty much just that.

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
dude, you read my mind. i think i just dialed the gain on my amp a tad too high. i use an Orange Dark Terror, so "hairy and fuzzy" is the perfect description. when i dial down the gain it clears up. so i´ll reamp those parts.
vocals, too. Slipknot is one of my favorite bands and i hear Corey´s voice in my head a lot when i´m thinking about vocals. but also nowadays Will Ramos from Lorna Shore has become one of my favorite vocalists. so high golum squeals and low roars could find their place here and there.
still a work in progress, but i´ll post updates as i get them done.
also, yes, the early 2000´s nu-metal head banging grooviness is totally my thing, especially mixed with more technical riffing. my latest album is pretty much just that.

I am feeling all of that :cheers:

One of the great things (from the vocalists perspective) is that there's so much space in this track to do lots of different things. The way that second verse riff slows up and works its way down is perfect for a line that starts out all up high then does that last line as gutterals or something, and then into a clean or nearly clean chorus.

Very much in keeping with a 2000s theme, it actually almost sounds like it was written by a band with two singers - Like one guy who does high screams and cleans, and one guy who raps and does death growls.

I will have to make some time to actually listen to your back catalogue, because every time you post something up I love it.