New WoW Expansion announced: Warlords of Draenor

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
I actually play the hell out of some GW2. I prefer it to WoW actually. What server you play on?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ferret

Reaction score
Considering Pandaria is often down to 10 dollars and it hasn't been out for very long

They do that every Christmas though. It'll be right back up to $40 in a couple weeks. The game's retail sales isn't what ultimately makes them money anyways.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
It was like that just over a week ago and over the summer when I bought it lol. I do agree with you about the latter though, a majority of their revenue is from the monthly membership and microtransactions.

Activision = Level100Leeches, top tier, pls nerf.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I resubbed for the first time in nearly 3 years, if only to level my primary toon to 90. I have to say, I'm definitely enjoying the leveling process in Pandaria a lot more than Cataclysm. Cataclysm managed to suck the fun out of the game in every conceivable way for me. While I still abhor the excessive use of phasing which breaks up the world unnecessarily (I was charging towards a mob, but I changed zones while running towards it, and it disappeared. I walked backwards a few steps and it reappeared. Ridiculous, huh?), the storyline is much more engaging this time around, and the zones are just gorgeous.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Bump:

They released some of the Alpha patch notes. As someone who mainly plays a Paladin (Light side for life, dawg), I was actually surprised at how few changes they're making to that class by comparison. And one of the changes they are making is the much-welcome removal of Inquisition. Seriously, most pointless ability ever. For anyone who's never played a Paladin, Inquisition is a self-buff that was introduced in Cataclysm. The reason it was introduced was because, in Wrath of the Lich King, Paladins were viewed as a viable, powerful class for the very first time and were rating consistently near the top of the DPS chart. What did Blizzard do? They nerfed our damage and said "if you want to keep your DPS up, you have to waste time on your rotation in order to keep this pointless self-buff running." It's a pain in the ass to cast and only lasts for 20 seconds for each charge of Holy Power you dump into it.

caskettheclown

Sexytime!
Reaction score
I have a question and I don't feel it needs its own thread so i'll ask in the most relevant thread.

I'm downloading the starter edition of WoW. The free for level 20 then you have to buy the game version. I've played for a day or so a couple years ago and moved on to something else as I didn't have time for it.

Now my life is a little different and I have a little more time to game. Plus my girlfriend is a gamer as well.

Onto my question..

Is it worth it to start WoW as a complete noob? Pretty much never playing it before. Ive played for a day or so a few years ago but thats it. Now that I have some time to game a bit plus a (Awesome) girlfriend to game with. Mind you she would be getting in a couple months when she gets a new laptop and if I start playing now i'll already have a decent grip on the game to help guide her a long a bit.

Why WoW you ask? Well its been around for a very long time with plenty of content out and still being pumped out. Its also the cheapest at the moment as far as I know.
20 bucks for the starter chest and i'll only need to get the MOP expansion which can wait as i'll have plenty of stuff to do before I get to that point.

I could go find a free MMORPG and i've tried a few of them, I didn't care for them to much. Fun yes but I could see why they where completely free. While nothing against them I have no issue buying a game I know will be enjoyable. I don't like the subscription fee but understand why its there so I can deal with the fee.

troyguitar

Reaction score
The "free" ones generally are only free to get started, once you start getting somewhere you will realize that you have to buy cash items to make your character decent.

I have not played any of the newer games yet, but it is hard to go wrong with WoW as long as you like a light-hearted game.

Yes, it is "cartoon-y" and easy to play. That's what makes it FUN to most players...

caskettheclown

Sexytime!
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of other MMO"s out but WoW just seems like the go to choice.

I know most people are playing Elder Scrolls online but i'm not paying that much for it. Plus I got the other ES games to play

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
I think it'd be fine to get into WoW now, but you'll go through the old content and never get to experience how cool any of that stuff was in the same way, just due to its age. I liked WoW and think it still has enough going for it to warrant play. However, if you like Final Fantasy stuff, FF XIV is on sale on Newegg currently for $10 and it's considered to be a pretty good MMO now.

Link: Final Fantasy XIV: Realm Reborn - Newegg.com

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Time goes so fast. Can't believe it's been almost 4 years since I last played :O I actually had a look on my Blizz account recently to see my poor Wrath endgame warrior :lol:

Can't say it's not tempting to start again but I'll know it will never feel as magical as the first time being completely lost in the tiny starting portion of the night elf island my first night :lol: :yesway:

I have considered looking into a private server just to explore how the world changed after Cata

troyguitar

Reaction score
The 1-60 game has completely changed. I've been thinking about trying to start playing again too, it's been so long I don't really remember how to play at all.

caskettheclown

Sexytime!
Reaction score
So far i'm having a lot of fun with the game. I just don't have the time to play these past day or so since my girlfriend is recovering from her wisdom teeth taken out. So when I get home after work I plan on playing a good bit! I think i'll play till I hit lvl20 since thats the level cap for the starter edition and then decide if I want to buy the game or not.

loqtrall

Banned
Reaction score
Once Burning Crusades met it's end with the launch of WotLK, the decline in challenge and overall fun of the game was apparent. It was getting so ridiculous, it forced me to quit. I had been playing since vanilla and I thought Burning Crusades was the pinnacle of what an MMORPG should be. I was absolutely crazy about WoW back in the BC days, and played several hours a day, every day.

I played a few months into WotLK, and it just wasn't the same. It lost it's "top dog of MMO's" luster. So when Cata came out, I was really interested to see if they brought their A-game back with the new expansion. I was wrong. It was 2x easier and "user friendly" than WotLK. And MoP? Don't even get me started. I played MoP with my little brother because he said it was the best expansion in a while.

It took me a month to get from level 1 to 24 in BC, and when I reached level 24, I had 1 gold. It took me 3 days to get from level 1 to 85 in MoP, and 3 days to get from 85 to 90, and I had over 17,000 gold at that time. Then it took me a whopping TWO DAYS to get ALL my top season PvP gear.

It's harder to level cap in a generic Call of Duty game than it is in MoP. The fact that I was geared and destroying RBG's in a week in MoP is just sad. I really hope they step their game up with WoD.

troyguitar

Reaction score
I don't like the idea of equating time required with difficulty. It only takes 5 minutes to run a 5 minute mile, that doesn't mean it's easy to do.

That being said, it seems like they have made the game both require less time (which is good IMO) and also be easier (which is bad). Dungeons used to be difficult and require actual coordination, now they seem to mostly involve steamrolling content with no chance of failure.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
It took me a month to get from level 1 to 24 in BC

While I disagree with your opinion on the quality of certain expansions (although yes, Cataclysm sucked), this point bears addressing: I started playing in Vanilla, only about a week after launch. My character was level 24 after only about 3 days and I would never describe myself as a power leveler (although I did power level from 80-85 in 2 days when Cataclysm came out, and that turned out to be a waste), so why it would have taken you so long to get that far in BC is a mystery, because it was doable a lot faster than that even in Vanilla.

loqtrall

Banned
Reaction score
While I disagree with your opinion on the quality of certain expansions (although yes, Cataclysm sucked), this point bears addressing: I started playing in Vanilla, only about a week after launch. My character was level 24 after only about 3 days and I would never describe myself as a power leveler (although I did power level from 80-85 in 2 days when Cataclysm came out, and that turned out to be a waste), so why it would have taken you so long to get that far in BC is a mystery, because it was doable a lot faster than that even in Vanilla.

That was a month of on again/off again leveling. Some of that was purely grinding, which was time consuming. Now when it came to MoP, that was a week of playing only a few hours per day. The fact that I got to 90 in 6 days is just depressing. The fact that I maxed out my main MoP toon in 8 days, rendering it useless until WoD releases, is doubly depressing.

loqtrall

Banned
Reaction score
My point being: it took the same amount of effort to casually get to 24 in BC as it did to get to 90 in MoP. It might have even taken a bit more effort to get to 24 in BC.

troyguitar

Reaction score
My point being: it took the same amount of effort to casually get to 24 in BC as it did to get to 90 in MoP. It might have even taken a bit more effort to get to 24 in BC.

Time is not effort.

How in the hell do you max a character in 8 days anyway?

I have not done any pvp or professions or raids yet on my 90 with way more time than that invested...

loqtrall

Banned
Reaction score
Time is not effort.

How in the hell do you max a character in 8 days anyway?

I have not done any pvp or professions or raids yet on my 90 with way more time than that invested...

It depends what you're playing the game for. I PvP'd from 20 to 90, and still got to 90 in 6 days, then Call To Arms'd until I got enough for my honor gear, then RBG'd with my guild mates until I got enough for my Conquest gear. It doesn't take that long. Actually, saying it doesn't take that long in MoP is an understatement. You just have to be patient and persistent. That, and my guild mates helped me quite a lot with getting Timeless Isle gear to at least stand a little chance in PvP to get a good bit of honor per match.

As for professions, I don't really bother. My main MoP toon thus far is mainly for PvP, as I'm in a mainly (predominantly) PvP guild. My Blacksmithing is maxed out simply through farming Ghost Iron in the Jade Forest. And I farmed Honor between BG's by killing rares in Krasarang Wilds. Other than that, I'm either PvP'ing, getting gear, or just sitting somewhere in Pandaria. As of right now, I don't plan on playing any until WoD comes out.

Just to clear things up, by "rendered useless until WoD releases", I meant: I can PvP all I want, but there's no point until they raise the level cap and give me a reason to play other than fighting other players over and over again for virtually no reward.