NFD Squier Stagemaster 7

• Thread starter mishabasi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mishabasi

Reaction score
Hey guys, been away from the forum for a while. I haven't had internet in a bit.
So I had a Squier Stagemaster 7 in blue that was only 100 bucks brand new. I don't know if anyone remembers these but they were BANG for your buck. But that finish was boring as hell. So i decided to get a good stripper :agreed: and enough Corona to keep my patience going. My idea was to get all the finish off, see what kind of wood was under there and if it looked decent enough, stain her and give her a "rustic" kind of bad ass finish. I think i got that but i'm wondering whether or not its cool or stupid. Remember this thing was cheap! I intend to get a Carvin SCB7 when money loosens up. Anyway enough talk! And remember, she's suposed to be a little "ruff".

And also. I'm open to pickup suggestions. I was thinking Carvin C26's but i don't think it's going to happen because their mounting plate might not physically fit into the routes. Something of a more medium output because i do believe the philosophy that you get a tighter tone when you let the amp do the work. Oh yeah and I can't do BKP's... would love to but that's something like 400 USD.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

redlol

Reaction score
Dimarzio ionizer give it a shot I just got one in my rg8 and I frickin love it, they do a 7 string version just FYI. really pushes the mids in a good way very clear pickup but distorts nicely as well, not quite as high output as a dactivator or similar, but it really picks up on your technique and is real dynamic

or find a used BKP on ebay they do pop up now and again

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
That's a damn hard look for it! I've seen a bunch of Stagemaster 7 refinishes on here, and (sorry guys) some of them have been rather crummy. This is one that I can get behind. :metal:

mishabasi

Reaction score
Thanks for the pos feedback guys! It's hard to screw up your goal when you are intentionally making it look like crap right? Haha. Anyway I really like it so far. The guitar resonates in my hands so much better without all the HEAVY finish. (8 coats of stripper) maybe it's placebo but I feel the sustain has improved a bunch. So in thinking either the crunchlab or ionizer in the bridge and I'm set on a liquifire in the neck. Clarity wise is the ionizer better for big chords with distortion and tight rhythmic lines? I'm thinking it may be just based on the type of player Tosin is. I used to be obsessed, can you tell? Either way it's a rocking guitar and great little project guitar. The trem system blows but I blocked it anyway. Maybe an OFR fits? Idk.

Tesla

Augmented User
Reaction score
Very nice! Reminds me of the N7.

Much better than the last Stagemaster refinish I seen on here...Can't remember exactly what the outcome of that was, but it wasn't looking pretty at all.

GRIZ

djentleman
Reaction score
that actually turned out pretty awesome. good job. would tap that.

sorry for the innuendo guitar joke

HurrDurr

Lord of all Things
Reaction score
It's basically a San Dimas 7 string, albeit lesser quality wood and what not. This thing looks awesome though, I absolutely love anything that's rustic and worn.

EDIT: The Ionizer is excellent for large chords and passages... just not so much when you've got a hefty amount of gain. They require a comparable amount of hefty EQ'ing to sound just right in a high-gain mix. That's just my :2c: though. I recommend you go for the tried and true CL/LF set if you want versatility on a 7 and you're into DiMarzio's, or just wait for the Titan 7's to come out. Titans have become my go-to pickups in the last month or so, highly recommend them as well.

mishabasi

Reaction score
It's funny you mention the N7. I'm a huge fan of Nuno - Extreme, Mourning Widows, Dramagods, solo, etc. and i always loved the look of the N4's. Especially the padauk one. Thanks for the p/up ideas. I have a few paychecks time to think about it.

redlol

Reaction score
Dude you should get a grey diamond plate pickguard made, and have a single BKP painkiller in this thing.

Slunk Dragon

Gear Nerder
Reaction score
Some dudes try this kind of finish and it looks grungy. Yours turned out so well I'm actually pretty jealous! Congrats, man!!!