NFL Football 2015-2016

• Thread starter Joose
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ibanezsam4

Reaction score
^As long as Phyllis doesn't fall into that pit of "I have to lecture everyone, including the opposing team" every game like last season, they will be good. Not as good as the rest of the division, but certainly better than last season.

im not climbing on the raiders hype train yet. yes, their defense is good and they've added more to the offense, but i still don't have confidence in a team coached by jack del rio.

plus the Chief field good teams every year but fail despite themselves

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
No? I think the Raiders are going to be a problem this season. Agreed on the Chiefs though.

I wouldn't mind it being a fight between Denver and San Diego for the division. Especially if the Raiders manage yet another losing season.

Ibanezsam4

Reaction score
No? I think the Raiders are going to be a problem this season. Agreed on the Chiefs though.

i am prepared to eat crow on that statement lol. good coordinator, but his HC record makes me pause. and i like Carr as a QB, but he lacks an 'it' factor as a leader.... same as Alex Smith.

i dont think you can be a physically talented game manager in the sense that your only job in the pocket is not to screw up.. its why KC can't shift to a higher gear, and why i think the raiders won't either

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
^Like Sanchez's job will likely be until Paxton Lynch is ready to take over? Lol

As a Broncos fan, I just have to stick to the "in Elway we trust" motto... because it's just impossible to be confident in Sanchez.

Ibanezsam4

Reaction score
^Like Sanchez's job will likely be until Paxton Lynch is ready to take over? Lol

As a Broncos fan, I just have to stick to the "in Elway we trust" motto... because it's just impossible to be confident in Sanchez.

Defense has always won championships. what makes this situation unique in the modern era is the Defense completely made up for what was a very lackluster offense in the second half of your season.

what remains to be seen is can the defensive trend maintain itself for multiple seasons or will it go the way of the option run QB?

extendedsolo

Reaction score
Defense has always won championships. what makes this situation unique in the modern era is the Defense completely made up for what was a very lackluster offense in the second half of your season.

what remains to be seen is can the defensive trend maintain itself for multiple seasons or will it go the way of the option run QB?

I think the defense is as important as offense, so in reality they both win championships but that's not catchy.

The Broncos were one of the best defenses of the last 30 years and I think of the 10 best 9 have won the super bowl. The Seahawks 2 years ago had one of the best offenses in addition to having a great defense and special teams. If you look back at the last 25 or so super bowl winners, almost all of them had a very good offense too. The exceptions being last year and the 2000 Ravens.

So really the saying is "Historically good defenses win championships, but good defense paired with good offense wins championships too."

I mean if defense wins championships then the 05 bears should've beat the colts and their so so defense.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
^Grossman's eyes and brain were not like Peyton's though. A lot of people made fun of him last year, but I thought it was pretty amazing for a man who has always been the unquestioned leader of his offenses could suddenly become a very good game manager and resist the urge we all know he had to air it out. Couldn't have been easy for someone with 17 seasons of calling the shots.

Ibanezsam4

Reaction score
rex grossman would've been an awesome non-elite QB... if it weren't for his awful decision making skills.

look at alex smith. dude is about as smart as a TE. but he knows it and doesn't push the envelope

extendedsolo

Reaction score
rex grossman would've been an awesome non-elite QB... if it weren't for his awful decision making skills.

look at alex smith. dude is about as smart as a TE. but he knows it and doesn't push the envelope

yeah, but Eli Manning isn't and has 2 rings so...........

Really I think it was just a fantastic run by the organization for them to say "we are going to lean on our awesome defense and minimize mistakes." Which is exactly what they did.

Also the Steelers having some untimely turnovers helped.

extendedsolo

Reaction score
not sure i ever implied you need to be an elite QB to win a super bowl :scratch:

you didn't. I totally forgot what point I was trying to make.

I totally agree with you on this point. It's actually pretty rare that a QB can take over a playoffs like Aaron Rodgers did back in 2010 and Brees before him. I think people just love to get fixated on getting an elite QB since it can mask so many other issues.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Man, a lot of hate for Eli. Kinda hard to be bad and have 2 SB MVPs to your name. Plus he was on fire for a good amount of that second SB ring.

Ibanezsam4

Reaction score
Man, a lot of hate for Eli. Kinda hard to be bad and have 2 SB MVPs to your name. Plus he was on fire for a good amount of that second SB ring.

as a avid hater of the Patriots I love everything Eli did to them in the SB. however, the dude throws a lot of interceptions

flexkill

Vodka & PentaTonic
Reaction score

The "defense wins championships" cliche is old and tired.

The fact is, What wins championships is an elite offense or defense with a middle of the road or better counterpart. Look at the 09 Saints, elite offense with a middle of the road defense= SB win. Denver elite defense mediocre offense=SB winner.

You only need to be elite at one side of the ball and serviceable at the other. Of course that rare unicorn of both O and D being elite is ideal but much rarer these days with this cap era NFL.

Ibanezsam4

Reaction score
The "defense wins championships" cliche is old and tired.

The fact is, What wins championships is an elite offense or defense with a middle of the road or better counterpart. Look at the 09 Saints, elite offense with a middle of the road defense= SB win. Denver elite defense mediocre offense=SB winner.

You only need to be elite at one side of the ball and serviceable at the other. Of course that rare unicorn of both O and D being elite is ideal but much rarer these days with this cap era NFL.

as someone who played defense this statement flies up my butt :lol::lol::lol:

with the evolution of offenses i don't see the defensive side of ball just being serviceable leading to consistent championships anymore.

mainly because when you let teams get 28+ points there is more pressure on the pressure to march down the field every single time. and the more exposures the offense gets the weaker they become.

it worked for the Panthers this past year, but i don't think them letting teams score 35 points towards the end of the season was smart. and i honestly thought it contributed to Denver having a massive stack of film to study every aspect of that team to keep them from being effective

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
as a avid hater of the Patriots I love everything Eli did to them in the SB. however, the dude throws a lot of interceptions

That tends to happen when you haven't had a good defense in years and you're forced into a lot of shootouts. Not to mention no real consisted running game since at least the Bradshaw/Jacobs combo.

Ibanezsam4

Reaction score
Training camp is almost here!!!!!!!!! what are your concerns/comments hopes/dreams from your team in the preseason?

extendedsolo

Reaction score
as someone who played defense this statement flies up my butt :lol::lol::lol:

with the evolution of offenses i don't see the defensive side of ball just being serviceable leading to consistent championships anymore.

mainly because when you let teams get 28+ points there is more pressure on the pressure to march down the field every single time. and the more exposures the offense gets the weaker they become.

it worked for the Panthers this past year, but i don't think them letting teams score 35 points towards the end of the season was smart. and i honestly thought it contributed to Denver having a massive stack of film to study every aspect of that team to keep them from being effective

The Panthers also had one of the best offenses last year, while Denver had a historic defense and a ton of luck with that Pittsburgh playoff game (they should've lost) I mean the Seahawks have had a great defense and offense for the last 3 years. I mean I just dislike these overarching statements like defense wins championships. Yeah it is important, but so is offense and turnovers. Sometimes the turnovers are created by defense sometimes not.

I know it sounds lame but the saying should be "Defense, offense, and special teams together wins championships and sometimes you have to lean on one over the other depending on the opponent and turnovers too and things bouncing your way with no injuries and recovering fumbles."

Training camp is almost here!!!!!!!!! what are your concerns/comments hopes/dreams from your team in the preseason?

That everyone comes into the season healthy. Not looking good so far for the Bears.

Latest posts