NGD: 1995 Ibanez RG770 Custom 'Chameleon' Finish

• Thread starter IbanezDaemon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
@Mboogie7 Thanks....really appreciate it!

@Dekay82 Thanks very much!

@Mwoit Cool! Thanks very much! The 770DX's in that finish are so cool but if you don't bond with them the buck stops there. The G suffix on the model number probably signifies Gold Hardware.

Mwoit

Reaction score
@Mboogie7 Thanks....really appreciate it!

@Dekay82 Thanks very much!

@Mwoit Cool! Thanks very much! The 770DX's in that finish are so cool but if you don't bond with them the buck stops there. The G suffix on the model number probably signifies Gold Hardware.

Ah, that makes sense! I didn't think about that. The gold hardware is nice with the Chameleon finish. I much prefer the plastic transparent pickguard on the Laser Red / Blue finish, but I think yours is unique. Sick!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
Since that photo was taken I've added an RG8520-SDE and an RG655-GK :D

Wow!! You are on fire!! I dig the look of those 655's and the J Custom...immense!! Funny you should mention the JCRG8520....I run a Guitar of the Week contest over on an Ibanez RG Group on FB and an 8520 just won. Killer flame top!!

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
That's a great line up of Ibby's....really cool Prestige models and yep I get you on the Green colour flip:

View attachment 92853
The gold hardware goes nicely with the finish. My Xiphos was originally cosmo hardware, but the previous owner polished off the finish on the pickup mounts, tone/volume controls and bridge saddles (presumably because the finish had tarnished).

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
The gold hardware goes nicely with the finish. My Xiphos was originally cosmo hardware, but the previous owner polished off the finish on the pickup mounts, tone/volume controls and bridge saddles (presumably because the finish had tarnished).

I've found that Cosmo finishes tarnish off like a mofo. There's an identical model to your's for sale in the UK atm. I'm sorely tempted but must resist...lol!

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
I've found that Cosmo finishes tarnish off like a mofo. There's an identical model to your's for sale in the UK atm. I'm sorely tempted but must resist...lol!
Seems to be that way unfortunately - so obviously Ibanez uses that finish on 90% of its high-end guitars haha! All of mine have cosmo hardware, but only a couple have noticeable deterioration and that has been inflicted by previous owners (on the Xiphos and the Sabre). I always wash my hands before playing and don't gig with them - I know the Sabre was heavily gigged with before I got it.

My XPT700 was my first Ibby. I fell in love with the finish from the moment I first saw a marketing photo. I still really like it, but I have to admit the playability doesn't hold up to a Prestige / J. Custom RG - mainly because of the neck (Wizard II profile with painted gloss finish).

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
Seems to be that way unfortunately - so obviously Ibanez uses that finish on 90% of its high-end guitars haha! All of mine have cosmo hardware, but only a couple have noticeable deterioration and that has been inflicted by previous owners (on the Xiphos and the Sabre). I always wash my hands before playing and don't gig with them - I know the Sabre was heavily gigged with before I got it.

My XPT700 was my first Ibby. I fell in love with the finish from the moment I first saw a marketing photo. I still really like it, but I have to admit the playability doesn't hold up to a Prestige / J. Custom RG - mainly because of the neck (Wizard II profile with painted gloss finish).

You should fire up a thread on that JC. Would love to see it! I've had a good few J Customs in my time...still do. Wizard II is a profile that I don't bond with that much. Ever thought about taking that gloss finish of the back of the neck? I've done it before. Some of them are real sticky.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
You should fire up a thread on that JC. Would love to see it! I've had a good few J Customs in my time...still do. Wizard II is a profile that I don't bond with that much. Ever thought about taking that gloss finish of the back of the neck? I've done it before. Some of them are real sticky.
I would be too scared to take sand paper to one of my guitars. It's a 5-piece maple & walnut neck-thru, so I'm sure it could be made to look good - if done by someone more competent than me.

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
I had an RG750VP awhile ago, only made for 2 years iirc in 88 and 89. guitar was a beauty thats for sure, and the quality was top notch even for somewhat of a beater. Wish Ibanez would stop promoting dumb social issues and just make goddamn guitars though.

Witchdoctor214

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just got a Grape Ice 770 off Reverb the other day and planning a custom paint job but I don't know what I want done yet. That looks cool in sparkle