NGD - 70’s Explorer Antique Natural

• Thread starter mlp187
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mlp187

Burrito Master
Contributor
Reaction score
About a week ago I went to pick up a used Strat but left with this:
IMG_2611.jpeg
IMG_2639.jpeg

- The 70’s tribute pickups sound fucking nuts, in the best way. Cleans are beautiful and metal sounds brutal.
- Craftsmanship is pretty damn good on this one
- The multi-tool is superb (the real reason I bought the guitar):
IMG_2643.jpeg
IMG_2641.jpegIMG_2640.jpeg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Nice - slim 60s neck on these?

mlp187

Burrito Master
Contributor
Reaction score
Y
Nice - slim 60s neck on these?
Great question - are “slim taper” and “slim 60’s” synonymous? If so yes. If not, I can tell you that it feels a bit thicker than the asymmetric profile on my SG but thinner than the slim taper of my old LP.

Either way, it feels fantastic in my hands.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Y

Great question - are “slim taper” and “slim 60’s” synonymous? If so yes. If not, I can tell you that it feels a bit thicker than the asymmetric profile on my SG but thinner than the slim taper of my old LP.

Either way, it feels fantastic in my hands.
I think slim taper is D (SG, explorer?) and slim 60s is a C (les paul)

BabUShka

Reaction score
Congrats, it looks beautiful!

I always thought that Slim Tapered is a Tapered 60s neck in general. I have this neck on my LP Classic, Gibson V and in a SG 61RI that I used to own. They are my favourite necks for this kind of classic looking guitars. Not too thick, not too thin.

Edika

Reaction score
That looks tight! I really like Explorers and this isno exception lol! I wonder what the 70's tribute pickups kind of resemble, I have mixed feelings with Gibson pickups, I love the 500T/496R set, I really liked the 498T/490R my friends Les Paul Custom and I didn't like the Burstbucker Pro pickups my LP came with.

wiretap

Reaction score
I have to be honest - at this point I have no grasp on what C/U/D mean anymore, and I’m not sure I ever really did :lol:

Same, I just know that I have some guitars with thinner measurements than others but feel thicker because it’s a different shape. Might as well be magic to me I guess.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I have to be honest - at this point I have no grasp on what C/U/D mean anymore, and I’m not sure I ever really did :lol:
Grab an reissue 50s tele (U), an SG standard (sub jackson and ibanez who also use D profile) and a 60s standard les paul (slim C) 50s standard lp (thick C) and you’ll notice quick lol