NGD: 8-string Ibanez classical

Dayn

Reaction score
So I was going to pick it up tomorrow but screw that, right?

As far as I'm aware, I'm perhaps one of the first to get this in Australia. From what I understood of the conversation my store was having with the distributor, I grabbed one from the first shipment. Not sure how it is world-wide, but here we are.

Quick shots with my S4 outside. It was actually overcast for a change.

First, the case...
AKmWC0.png

9JXjUP.png

Then the guitar itself.

3gbKPr.png

gtu3S6.png

OEN5Ny.png

UuvQFD.png

bnstG4.png

7ZlPaa.png

That headstock.

vJXrE5.png

A7jAAT.png

And finally, RG2228 for scale.

5jfeCp.png

My verdict: amazing. The neck and string spacing is slightly wider than the RG2228, and the scale is shorter at 25.5", as opposed to 27".

It's tuned with the stock strings in standard, with a low D and B string. Had to tune it of course, as it fell slightly out of tune. Strung with stock strings, the website lists it as:

Savarez 510CJ(set) + 5207R(7th) + 5208R(8th) Nylon strings
(.0295/.0335/.0413/.0297/.0356/.0440/.0500/.0590)

Am going to tune it to drop E tuning with La Bella strings (using an .080 for the bottom) to match my RG2228.

It's one hell of a loud guitar, even on the low B string. Not sure how a low E with .080 will fair, but we'll have to see.

Plays very well. Extremely low action for a classical guitar. I'm well-impressed.

Stays in tune. The tuning machines were extremely stiff, so they don't slip at all. After it's adjusted, apart from the 7th and 8th falling out of tune a little, it's rock-solid. Nothing wrong with the frets at all, either. No electronics.

What else can I say? She's a sexy one.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Finally! I've been waiting for someone to get one. Now, just chug along on the low E and we'll invent classical-core.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dayn

Reaction score
Finally! I've been waiting for someone to get one. Now, just chug along on the low E and we'll invent classical-core.
Way ahead of you. It's a bit loose and lost some power when I put it in drop E, but when I stick a La Bella .080 on there it's going to absolutely boom. It's already had a test-run with some Nile.

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
That's so cool! Segovia on steroids! :bowdown:

Congrats, man! Awesome instrument!

rockskate4x

rockskate4x
Reaction score
Awesome, man! I'm glad these are finally coming out of the woodwork. If you have recording capabilities i'd love to hear some soundclips. HNGD!

Skyblue

Reaction score
Well DAMN. That's one awesome guitar.

Any chance to see or hear her in action?

Dayn

Reaction score
Well DAMN. That's one awesome guitar.

Any chance to see or hear her in action?
No chance of seeing, but there might be a slim chance of hearing, though it might take a few months. I need new strings to handle the insane low end, and I need to learn how to come to grips with it.

I'm having trouble with the shorter scale. Although the lack of any fret markers doesn't help, it's the shorter scale that's doing my head in. I keep trying to play everything one fret lower than I should be; I'm too used to 27".

On the plus side, it seems classical guitars (at least this one) aren't as affected by string tension as electrics are. I have the 7th and 8th strings tuned to A and C# (yes, just above a bass's low B) and the only thing that's wrong is the fret buzz on the 8th and generally lower volume. And that's with the stock strings designed for D and B of course, so they're rather loose.

So if I get those heavier strings on in the future, it should sound much more powerful. I've been playing Animals As Leaders' New Eden on it, and to hear a classical play notes that low is really satisfying.

I wasn't sure the 25.5" scale would do it, but... it's not an electric guitar, it's a different beast. And aside from only having 18-19 frets instead of 24, it's the best classical I've played. It fills the perfect spot in my instrument lineup. And to be sentimental, it fills the perfect spot in my heart.

Velokki

GAS station
Reaction score
Jesus m' f'in Christ! How does the 8th string sound? Clips, clips, clips!

Latest posts