NGD: Agile INTERCEPTOR 828 PRO

Acaciastrain360

Reaction score
Men..(and possible ladies)
My first Agile, it’s a beaut!
I love everything about it to be honest, the scale is comfortable, the neck feels great also!

The finish on this is really nice in the flesh, I don’t believe photos do these justice sometimes!

It was a toss up between RG/A8, JS32-8 or any longer scale Agile in my eyes... although I had many opportunities to get an RG/A8 or JS32-8... I just didn’t want to feel like I’d miss out on anything with Agile! I nearly bought a natural finish intrepid but it was an 825 and I couldn’t let myself buy a short scale 8, as I’ll be having it tuned down a bit and I’m not that comfortable with too heavy a gauge strings... (I had that with an omen 7 tuned to drop G# and it was annoying with tension)

So yeah, I’m based on the Isle of Wight in the UK and I considered importing a new one but with the cost of import tax etc I couldn’t justify it, so i thought I’d sit it out and wait... and low and behold this came up for sale and I couldn’t miss it! So here it is :)....
6A59D682-834B-4B15-BF5D-B7D5A3630B2B.jpeg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Acaciastrain360

Reaction score
Thanks! I haven’t played/owned an 8 string for nearly 7 years, so stoked about having one again, I’m finding it easier to play than a 7 string too, which is surprising. Maybe something to do with the scale and larger frets? Or just all in all a better quality instrument!
I just need a slightly heavier gauge string to tighten that low E up a bit... standard strings are .009 - .074... looking at getting some D’addario NYXL .009 - .080.... do you think that’ll be enough to get some better tension? Apparently those strings are optimised to 30” scale, as mine is 28 5/8 I suppose it’ll be nice and twangy??
Lemme know

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
That's a great guitar! I had pretty much the exact same guitar but I swapped out the pickups for 808Xs. That finish does look so much better IRL. Recently sold it, though.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Sweet! :) Have you replaced it with something else now?
I'm constantly trying to downsize my instrument/gear collection and I've been doing 99% of my playing on my 9 strings (also Interceptor Pro, but the 30in scale version), only need an 8 for a handful of songs live with one of my bands, and I have a really nice Schecter A8 that plays just a little bit nicer than the Agile did, so I let it go. Working on finding a way to replace the locking nuts on my 9-strings so I can retune easily enough, then I'll probably sell the Schecter, too.

Acaciastrain360

Reaction score
I'm constantly trying to downsize my instrument/gear collection and I've been doing 99% of my playing on my 9 strings (also Interceptor Pro, but the 30in scale version), only need an 8 for a handful of songs live with one of my bands, and I have a really nice Schecter A8 that plays just a little bit nicer than the Agile did, so I let it go. Working on finding a way to replace the locking nuts on my 9-strings so I can retune easily enough, then I'll probably sell the Schecter, too.
Ooo nice :) I’ve only really had schecter previously as I really got on with them... I’ve never played a 9 string though, I wouldn’t even know what to play on it haha what’s your music?? Bands??

Bearitone

Reaction score

Nice to hear of someone who’s also trying to downsize their collection. I only have 1 guitar (an Agile 828) that i’ll probably sell once i finish my warmoth baritone.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Nice to hear of someone who’s also trying to downsize their collection. I only have 1 guitar (an Agile 828) that i’ll probably sell once i finish my warmoth baritone.
Yeah man, I'm all about keeping it small. If I can get my 9s to retune easy enough with different nuts, I'll have two electric guitars (because who plays live without a backup?!) one acoustic, and then my live rig which is a Helix and two 12" PA speakers. If I was confident in sound everywhere I went it would literally two guitar cases and pedalboard.

Djentlover666

Forever tone questing
Reaction score
Thanks! I haven’t played/owned an 8 string for nearly 7 years, so stoked about having one again, I’m finding it easier to play than a 7 string too, which is surprising. Maybe something to do with the scale and larger frets? Or just all in all a better quality instrument!
I just need a slightly heavier gauge string to tighten that low E up a bit... standard strings are .009 - .074... looking at getting some D’addario NYXL .009 - .080.... do you think that’ll be enough to get some better tension? Apparently those strings are optimised to 30” scale, as mine is 28 5/8 I suppose it’ll be nice and twangy??
Lemme know
I'd say it'll be good enough. I have this set on my 8 currently, the next set I'll get will be a 64 for the 7th string. I think 80 is good for down to D and even C# with 28 inch scale. I have almost the same agile except reverse inline headstock and hipshot style bridge. I have a 828 and a 930. Love them! I have a legator 7 string but it's only 26.5 inch scale. Would like a 27 inch scale 7 string. Will be an agile or that Harley Benton fan fret.

Acaciastrain360

Reaction score
Sweet man! I may have to invest in a set then... but I’m also interested in tuning up to drop F now and then, soooo I’ll have to see how that goes with a heavier gauge also!
Thanks again :)
Lemme know if you get a Harley Benton as I nearly bought one, but the reviews are soooo mixed!!!!

Djentlover666

Forever tone questing
Reaction score
I highly recommend stringjoy.com they have a huge variety of gauges. Free shipping if it's over $20 I think. From 8-90 for guitar strings. I've been using them exclusively for a year now. And if you see a set you like you can easily change whichever string to whatever gauge they have. Easy!

Djentlover666

Forever tone questing
Reaction score
That's a great guitar! I had pretty much the exact same guitar but I swapped out the pickups for 808Xs. That finish does look so much better IRL. Recently sold it, though.
What made you want to replace the blackouts? I'm curious because I was going to do the same but I read they are almost sonically identical.

Djentlover666

Forever tone questing
Reaction score
Sweet man! I may have to invest in a set then... but I’m also interested in tuning up to drop F now and then, soooo I’ll have to see how that goes with a heavier gauge also!
Thanks again :)
Lemme know if you get a Harley Benton as I nearly bought one, but the reviews are soooo mixed!!!!
I figure the price is low enough that it's better to just buy it yourself and see. They offer exchanges if you dont like it within the first 30 or 90 days I don't remember which. I'm going to try tuning it to drop c with a low f and drop b with a low e.

Acaciastrain360

Reaction score
I figure the price is low enough that it's better to just buy it yourself and see. They offer exchanges if you dont like it within the first 30 or 90 days I don't remember which. I'm going to try tuning it to drop c with a low f and drop b with a low e.
Sweet! Thanks for your help :)
Yeah maybe one day I’ll have to buy one and see how it goes... always wanted to play a fanfret

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
What made you want to replace the blackouts? I'm curious because I was going to do the same but I read they are almost sonically identical.
Mine came with Cepheus passive pickups from Rondo. If it had come with Seymour Duncans I probably would have left it alone. I've never actually played a blackout set, but I've installed the blackout preamp on some passive guitars and it has more low-mid grind compared to the EMGs, which is great for six/seven string but can get a little muddy with the 8/9 strings, I'd imagine.