NGD: BC Rich Ironbird Prophecy

• Thread starter JSil13
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
When you say you had to change position of your picking hand, do you play standing, or sitting? If the latter, on your right or left thigh?

I ask, because looking at the right (treble) side of the body, the curve that would rest on your thigh is much closer to the bridge on the Warrior, which would mean that your picking area of the iron bird would be pushed out to your right when playing sitting. It's quite a difference, actually.🤔

JSil13

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
When you say you had to change position of your picking hand, do you play standing, or sitting? If the latter, on your right or left thigh?

I ask, because looking at the right (treble) side of the body, the curve that would rest on your thigh is much closer to the bridge on the Warrior, which would mean that your picking area of the iron bird would be pushed out to your right when playing sitting. It's quite a difference, actually.🤔

I play both sitting down and standing. Sitting down I either play with the guitar on my right leg the way you'd play a strat or something or with my right leg between the two bottom wings in more of a classical position like you would a Flying V.

Standing up there is significant neck dive which is surprising considering the Ironbird weighs more than the Warrior. But the different feeling is still there. I've owned a ton of guitars with all kinds of bridges and body shapes but don't remember ever having this kind of adjustment period. Luckily I'm pretty used to it now.

JSil13

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Put in my order for the neck pickup. I also ordered a hard case that will fit the Ironbird, Warrior, and my star guitars.

I plan to bring it to my tech to do the routing and wiring so that it comes out perfect. I’ll also have him move the location of the volume pot and drill for the switch.

1703629211845.png

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MetalheadMC

Reaction score
Nice guitar. The mods will look cool once they're done. I have the Rutan bird myself, and the positioning of the volume pot has been my only complaint as well. That's probably the only alteration in my picking that I've had to adjust for. I wasn't entirely happy with the output jack placement either, but that issue will be fixed by just using a 90° cable.

JSil13

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice guitar. The mods will look cool once they're done. I have the Rutan bird myself, and the positioning of the volume pot has been my only complaint as well. That's probably the only alteration in my picking that I've had to adjust for. I wasn't entirely happy with the output jack placement either, but that issue will be fixed by just using a 90° cable.

I hit the volume pot all the time on mine. Same with the Warrior. By the time I get to the G string my hand is already hitting it, so I have to do the pinky's up kind of thing. The knob on the Rutan one is way low on the smaller wing isn't it?

The output jack on mine is on the back of the long wing. I like the idea of it, but I don't really like strat style jacks. I won't be changing it however.
1703643956109.png

MetalheadMC

Reaction score
I hit the volume pot all the time on mine. Same with the Warrior. By the time I get to the G string my hand is already hitting it, so I have to do the pinky's up kind of thing. The knob on the Rutan one is way low on the smaller wing isn't it?

The output jack on mine is on the back of the long wing. I like the idea of it, but I don't really like strat style jacks. I won't be changing it however.
View attachment 135394
You are correct. It is. I was confusing it with another guitar I have for some reason, but yeah the output jack isn't in an ideal spot, but it works.

Screenshot_20231229_124948_Gallery.jpg

JSil13

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You are correct. It is. I was confusing it with another guitar I have for some reason, but yeah the output jack isn't in an ideal spot, but it works.

View attachment 135556
That's where I put my outputs on the few star guitars I've made. It doesn't bother me with a 90 degree cable.

I love those knobs, but they seem like they're hard to find without paying an insane amount. I think that I'm going to move my volume knob and drill the switch in the same place those ones are. I mostly play in the bridge position, so I won't have to worry about hitting the switch.

How are you like the Rutan model? I almost went with one that was B stock for a decent price.

MetalheadMC

Reaction score
That's where I put my outputs on the few star guitars I've made. It doesn't bother me with a 90 degree cable.

I love those knobs, but they seem like they're hard to find without paying an insane amount. I think that I'm going to move my volume knob and drill the switch in the same place those ones are. I mostly play in the bridge position, so I won't have to worry about hitting the switch.

How are you like the Rutan model? I almost went with one that was B stock for a decent price.
I love the Rutan guitar. It has a very comfortable feel, and aggressive tone. It was slightly more expensive than I cared to pay for an import, but that's just part of it. The distributor said it is most likely a prototype because it doesn't say Rutan anywhere on it, but it has all the specs. Either way, it is an amazing guitar to play.

I had looked at the Prophecy at first mainly because I use the bridge pickup most of the time, but I prefer actives and wanted something I didn't have to work on right after getting. The mods you're doing on yours are going to be badass when you're done.

JSil13

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My Chopper pickup came in the other day. I'm going to hit up my tech this week and see when I can get it routed and installed.

1704821474162.png

I was thinking something like this like the old 80's Ironbird.
1704821526100.png

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Nice chopper! :gayfight:
This will look awesome when done! Will you be adding a switch or going for a push/push pot?

JSil13

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice chopper! :gayfight:
This will look awesome when done! Will you be adding a switch or going for a push/push pot?

I'll be adding a switch and moving the volume knob. The current knob is already a push/pull to split the bridge humbucker. Similar to the Rutan signature, but I'll plug the existing hole so I don't hit the switch by accident all the time.
rpn97obwbdjbqnmoifsg.jpg

JSil13

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Also just saw this for the first time. The only other 7 string version I've seen is the custom shop Rutan signature.
ebd3a75fc8Bz98bhUSyYpL9a4DxsEupIQC6dhwvf.jpg

JSil13

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice! Looking forward to seeing it! Green switch tip?

I do have some in my watchlist on Reverb. I'm going with the 3 way toggle and I just need to make sure the switch tip will fit.

JSil13

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just got the Ironbird back from my tech. Had the pickup installed, moved the volume knob, the pot was intermittent so that was replaced, he also fixed the loose threaded insert for the bridge humbucker, and the loose screws on the control cavity cover on the back. Now both pickups are able to be coil split. Haven't had a chance to plug it in to my set up yet, but I will in a bit.
IMG_4278.jpeg
IMG_4279.jpeg

zappatton2

Reaction score
Just got the Ironbird back from my tech. Had the pickup installed, moved the volume knob, the pot was intermittent so that was replaced, he also fixed the loose threaded insert for the bridge humbucker, and the loose screws on the control cavity cover on the back. Now both pickups are able to be coil split. Haven't had a chance to plug it in to my set up yet, but I will in a bit.
View attachment 142240
View attachment 142241
That is a vision of beauty right there!! The neon green gives it a welcome 80's vibe for sure.