NGD - Bernie Rico Jr. Hesperian 727 (now with one less string!)

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
Oh my god! It's been 11 months. For those who aren't aware of my incident this week, get ready. Bernie sent me an email two weeks ago saying my guitar was done, then payment link came the following day, I paid the instant I saw the email. A few days later, I got another email from him saying it shipped. Mtech was kind enough to get ahold of Bernie for me and get the FedEx tracking info. I decided to be proactive and have it held at the FedEx store 2 minutes from where I work since no one is ever home to sign for packages.

It's now Wednesday the 26th, I get an email saying the guitar is there, so I hurry up and drive over. I get back to work, and open the box right there in the parking lot. It was a beautiful, clear day which would make it ideal for getting pictures. As soon as I open the case, I second guess my vision (which I recently paid $4000 to correct). I actually had to count the strings. 8? Why the eff does my guitar have 8 strings?

For some people on here, no big deal. You got a better guitar for cheaper. Well, my little baby hands would make it extra difficult to play with the extra string. I jumped on here to post quickly. Mtech was right on it. I got a call from Bernie about 2 minutes later. He apologized a billion times and said he felt like an ass. He had already talked to the gentleman who received my guitar. Jesse and I talked to one another, exchanged addresses, and shipped the guitars back out.

I'm totally not mad. It's super easy to slap the wrong shipping label on a box. I don't begrudge Bernie one bit, so let's not hear any of that. I'm sure he's exhausted and overwhelmed from the last few months. He planned on reimbursing me for cost to ship the 8 string to Jesse, but I declined. Totally not worth the effort. $30 isn't gonna break my bank. That's time he could be spending on someone else's guitar.

Behold....

2011-10-28_14-12-43_297.jpg

2011-10-28_19-04-02_157.jpg

2011-10-28_19-04-13_858.jpg

2011-10-28_19-04-21_948.jpg

2011-10-28_19-04-45_784.jpg

Okay. I know this pictures are terrible. There was no natural light for me to use, but the last thread for one of these had great outdoor pics. You get the idea. Not to worry, this guitar is immaculate. Perfect in every respect. It's incredibly lightweight and balanced. The neck feels amazing. The fretboard is incredibly fast. I just need to rip out these pickups and install the Aftermaths that have been collecting dust for a few months.

I was really wondering if I would like this guitar more than my JPX-7, but it's not even a fair comparison right now. I expect my EBMM will permanently be on the sidelines.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

caskettheclown

Sexytime!
Reaction score
I'm glad you are levelheaded about mistakes. I hate when people order a guitar and something small is wrong with it and they just start bashing.

The guitar just looks phenomenal though!

Enselmis

Reaction score
Woooooo, serious shenanigans! Glad everything got worked out okay because that is one seriously gorgeous instrument!

geofreesun

Reaction score
yum yum :) i totally feel you about that guitar being lightweight, it's like a ferrari, slim and fast

Michael T

Sea Turtles mate
Contributor
Reaction score
Nice, nice. Just talked to John about my guitar today !! Cannot wait. Congrats bro +1 for understanding Bernies mix up.

jfb

Reaction score
Glad the guitar arrived to you safely. After having gone through two rounds of FedEx she's finally home. It's a good story and I am glad we met.

My 8 should be here tomorrow. I will keep you posted.

My first post!

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
Glad the guitar arrived to you safely. After having gone through two rounds of FedEx she's finally home. It's a good story and I am glad we met.

My 8 should be here tomorrow. I will keep you posted.

My first post!

Yeah dude. I can't wait to hear how much you like the 827. It's super nice.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
Congrats!
My Hesperian slays every other guitar I own:agreed:
Welcome to the club!

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
Congrats!
My Hesperian slays every other guitar I own:agreed:
Welcome to the club!

Thanks brother. I couldn't be happier right now.

Bernie called me again a bit ago to see how I liked the guitar. We ended up on the phone for about an hour. What an awesome guy. You can really tell he loves his customers and wants to make everyone happy. He's so bummed out that he wasn't able to get the Black Friday guitars out as fast as he promised. I'm absolutely going to work with him in the future to design something unique for myself. He was really excited when I bounced some ideas off of him.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
I can't for the life of me figure out how some of you guys are shipping $3000 guitars for $30. If you are shipping uninsured you have more balls than I for sure. Most guitars I ship cost me $80.

jfb

Reaction score
I can't for the life of me figure out how some of you guys are shipping $3000 guitars for $30. If you are shipping uninsured you have more balls than I for sure. Most guitars I ship cost me $80.

Regarding the price of the instruments, they are from the Black Friday Run. These guitars were drastically reduced from the normal price. Even declaring the value at the sale price of $1450-1550 (price depended on your string count and if you went with the default build like we did) I thought shipping and insurance would be $60+. I was very surprised to hear that FedEx 2 day deliver on this item was about $32. Seems like every time I ship a guitar it's $75-100. Regarding insurance I normally use UPS and they make me pay for insurance up front. FedEx simply asked me to declare the item's value. When I asked to buy insurance they told me all I had to do was declare the value and if any damage came to the item negotiations would start at the declared dollar amount. I'm starting to think I will be using FedEx from now on, but not until I research and get clarification on the insurance / declared value situation.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Regarding the price of the instruments, they are from the Black Friday Run. These guitars were drastically reduced from the normal price. Even declaring the value at the sale price of $1450-1550 (price depended on your string count and if you went with the default build like we did) I thought shipping and insurance would be $60+. I was very surprised to hear that FedEx 2 day deliver on this item was about $32. Seems like every time I ship a guitar it's $75-100. Regarding insurance I normally use UPS and they make me pay for insurance up front. FedEx simply asked me to declare the item's value. When I asked to buy insurance they told me all I had to do was declare the value and if any damage came to the item negotiations would start at the declared dollar amount. I'm starting to think I will be using FedEx from now on, but not until I research and get clarification on the insurance / declared value situation.

While on paper that sounds like a great deal, and it kinda is if nothing goes wrong, I know folks that have had to wait months and fight tooth and nail for FedEx to reimburse/fix the situation when they've damaged items.

kruneh

Reaction score
Looks great, glad everything got sorted out easily for you all. :hbang:

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
While on paper that sounds like a great deal, and it kinda is if nothing goes wrong, I know folks that have had to wait months and fight tooth and nail for FedEx to reimburse/fix the situation when they've damaged items.

You have to fight UPS just as hard if the claim is over $900. I've had claims with DHL, USPS, FedEx, and UPS. They've all made me want to pull my hair out when dealing with a damaged or lost shipment.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm really liking the natural flame with black hardware on these :yesway:

You have to fight UPS just as hard if the claim is over $900. I've had claims with DHL, USPS, FedEx, and UPS. They've all made me want to pull my hair out when dealing with a damaged or lost shipment.

:agreed:

Latest posts