NGD: Blackmachine B2 - Snakewood Neck

• Thread starter ice_age_magic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ice_age_magic

That's what she said
Reaction score
I've had this for a few weeks now, and have had so much fun playing it, I forgot to do a NGD post! So here it goes..
This guitar sounds surgically tight and looks amazing. It is, by far, the best standard scale 6 string guitar I've owned. The neck a medium sized flat D shape, with a nice smooth feel to it.
Specs:
5p Snakewood/ebony neck
Snakewood board
Brass Nut
Jumbo frets
1 piece African Mahogany Body
Burled Sapele top
Snakewood bridge
Bareknuckle Aftermath pickups

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rifft

Reaction score
:O that is a stunning guitar! HNGD! Also, what kind of bridge system is that?

ice_age_magic

That's what she said
Reaction score
what kind of bridge system is that?

It's a piece of snakewood, mounted directly to the body with saddles. Rumor is that in total, 4 guitars were made with these bridges.
It's really comfortable and there is tons of sustain between that and the neck.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
image_zps839aed6b.jpg

Dude! Where did you get the Surge from?! Are they making it again. Oh ya, nice guitar...

Seriously though, that's awesome. Jealous. Love the snake wood

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Nice one dude! It looks awesome. This was built in 2004 I think. This was 1 among 4 snakewood neck guitars.

ice_age_magic

That's what she said
Reaction score
:O that is a stunning guitar! HNGD! Also, what kind of bridge system is that?

Dude! Where did you get the Surge from?! Are they making it again. Oh ya, nice guitar...

Seriously though, that's awesome. Jealous. Love the snake wood

Off topic: Coke agreed to do a small reintroduction of Surge only available through Amazon. They restock the store every month or so and it usually sells out within 48 hours. A 12 pack is $15 plus shipping, unless you have Amazon prime, in which case shipping is free.

This guitar was built in 2006. 1 of 4 indeed, though they each had slightly different necks.

ice_age_magic

That's what she said
Reaction score
Thanks Al! I suspect it originally had BKP, though I'm not sure what model. The original owner had put emg's in for a while, but active pickups seem like a crime to have in a guitar known for the best tonewoods available.

capoeiraesp

Reaction score
Nice one, Jeff! Looks awesome and welcome to the 5150iii side.

"...the best standard scale 6 string guitar I've owned"

;)

ice_age_magic

That's what she said
Reaction score
Nice one, Jeff! Looks awesome and welcome to the 5150iii side.

"...the best standard scale 6 string guitar I've owned"

;)

Thanks Mat, I'm really happy with the III. It's a huge improvement over the Peavey 5150 II that I used to use for everything. Same overall sound, but refined. The effects loop is tops as well.

Looking forward to my next Ormsby.. When thinking back on my old hypemachine multiscale, the first thing that comes to mind - unrelenting quality.

icos211

Schecter faithful
Reaction score
Are the saddles moveable? I've been really interested in this bridge design, but I'm perplexed about the intonation. Do they have any travel in them or were they just set perfectly the first time and left there? If they were, wouldn't that prevent the changing of string gauge or tuning from the original intent?

ice_age_magic

That's what she said
Reaction score
The saddles are moveable and have plenty of extra room still for even thicker strings or lower tuning intonation. There in an Allen screw bolt on the back of each saddle to adjust intonation and two small Allen screws at the front to adjust height. The bridge is just as functional as a traditional hard tail fender bridge, but is very smooth to the touch with no sharp edges.