NGD! Bostjan's Custom Oni 8 (56K - Dead milkmen)

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
New Oni 8 String!

Perpendicular fret = 9th
Scale Length = 600-660 mm (oops)
Width near nut ~ 57 mm

Controls:
Active Tone Filter
Synth/Piezo Concentric Volume
Synth Sound Select
Magnetic Kill Switch

Construction:
Body and Neck: Sitka Spruce with Carbon Durashield
Fretboard: Acrylized Macassar Ebony w/ Stainless Frets

2404420795_8599818864.jpg

Thar she is.

2405246516_2104bb8ef9.jpg

Look how sleek and thin. The guitar is light as a feather!

2404425311_2e61f2a019.jpg

13-Pin Synth Out

2405264934_f5519aa0a7.jpg

Lego Luke Skywalker loves the Carbon Fiber!

2404436825_a4b35a4ac3.jpg

...and approves of the ultra-cool truss-rod cover!

2404436395_ecc5e924a2.jpg

He can even levitate the ultralight body using his lego-force.

2405262572_6a7e0faa12.jpg

Ultra fast sleek neck!

2405250804_f65e99e07b.jpg

Partial fret for microtonal dabbling.

2404424567_1a01705985.jpg

Back

2404440731_7afb277844.jpg

Twins.

:)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Egads! What a monstrosity! How do you play that thing with all those strings and those weird looking frets ;)

Couple of corrections to the specs list

Perpendicular fret = 9

Scales = either 590-650, or 600 - 660... I can't remember :lol:

Fretboard is acrylized mac ebony which is impervious to moisture and totally stable, and the fabric is pure carbon twill, not carbon/kevlar blend. And it was a bitch to make, a whole lot of things had to be done twice, but it sounds pretty freaking amazing acoustically so I might do it again if the money is right :lol:

Seriously though, Bostjan has been immensely patient with me through this project. I can't overstate what a great dude he is to deal with!

DevilsAngel

Belong2Bostjan
Reaction score
Egads! What a monstrosity! How do you play that thing with all those strings and those weird looking frets ;)

Couple of corrections to the specs list

Perpendicular fret = 9

Scales = either 590-650, or 600 - 660... I can't remember :lol:

Fretboard is acrylized mac ebony which is impervious to moisture and totally stable, and the fabric is pure carbon twill, not carbon/kevlar blend. And it was a bitch to make, a whole lot of things had to be done twice, but it sounds pretty freaking amazing acoustically so I might do it again if the money is right :lol:

Seriously though, Bostjan has been immensely patient with me through this project. I can't overstate what a great dude he is to deal with!

Very interesting that Bostjan didn't get the stuff right. Maybe he is still undeserving of such a nice 8-string? :lol:

Ya did good Dan, Ya did good!

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
Wow! Just wow!

:drool:

How many frets?

Can you tell us more about the construction Dan?

Is it Parker-style with a light body & neck wood surrounded by a carbon skin?

Looks just slick as can be! I love the carbon weave showing through subtly.

:bowdown:

Edit: Bostjan CONGRATS!!!

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
wow, passed out already! I thought he'd have the recto cranked :lol:

How many frets?

Can you tell us more about the construction Dan?

Is it Parker-style with a light body & neck wood surrounded by a carbon skin?

30 frets iirc, can somebody check that for me :scratch:

It's basically parker style construction minus the carbon fretboard, and with a conventional 2-way truss rod. It's neck through, spruce neck and body, though I put an ebony fillet under the truss rod to ensure it had a solid surface to bear on. Then the fretboard went on, the basic cavities were machined and the whole thing shaped, next was laminating the carbon, then deciding I didn't like the neck shape so sand off all the carbon, reshape it, laminate the carbon again, pay someone to paint it, strip that paint off, buy spray gear, paint it myself.... blah, blah, blah... I think I should stop ruining Bostjan's thread now :lol:

Oh yeah, and the frets are stainless.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, well the end result sure looks fantastic!

Bostjan I'm doubly envious of you now ;)

Dan do you plan to make more instruments with this construction style? Does it make a big difference in weight?

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
It is significantly lighter, and allows shapes that would normally be impossible due to strength. Honestly, the first time you play it feels weird because your mind is telling you something that light must be delicate, it took me a while to become comfortable handling it like normal. I'm definitely doing at least one more, this time from balsa which will decrease weight by maybe 20-30% over the spruce (balsa is less than half the weight of spruce). I'm interested in how the tonal characteristics are effected by the wood vs. the carbon. It might even be possible to make a carbon truss rod now that I think about it :idea: I have the balsa already but there's a few more projects to get finished before starting on that.

Justin Bailey

Reaction score
It is significantly lighter, and allows shapes that would normally be impossible due to strength. Honestly, the first time you play it feels weird because your mind is telling you something that light must be delicate, it took me a while to become comfortable handling it like normal. I'm definitely doing at least one more, this time from balsa which will decrease weight by maybe 20-30% over the spruce (balsa is less than half the weight of spruce). I'm interested in how the tonal characteristics are effected by the wood vs. the carbon. It might even be possible to make a carbon truss rod now that I think about it :idea: I have the balsa already but there's a few more projects to get finished before starting on that.

wow, that's deinetly gonna be sweet.

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
Congrats! That's a sweet looking guitar!

(What's wrong with the dead milkmen?)
[action=TheMissing]put on 'the thing that only eats hippies'[/action]

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Good god, that's stunning, Dan!

I remember reading Parker's tonal description of Spruce, which they used on their Fly Supreme... "lush, lively and ferocious." Sounds exactly like the kind of tone i'd want. And with stainless steel frets and piezos, it's like the extended-range guitar we all wish Parker had made!

Kudos to you and Bostjan!

Hexer

Contributor
Reaction score
congrats to Bostjan on a great new guitar and congrats to Dan for making it!

I'm interested in that partial fret, too! tell us more about that!
I get how its cool to be able to play microtones, but why just one additional fret then? why in this place? what place is it btw? why only on those strings?....

tell me! tell me!

looks like a great axe!

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
fucking killer, i'v been looking at oni 8's for a while now, where can you even get them? i dont know where you look to order one or at the prices and options?

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Latest posts