NGD! Bostjan's Custom Oni 8 (56K - Dead milkmen)

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
Wow! That is one beautiful guitar!! Congrats!!

Dan, your work is astounding! :bowdown:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Wow. First time I've actually thought :fap: was applicable to a guitar.

Ray

daxworxguitar

Reaction score
New Oni 8 String!

Perpendicular fret = 9th
Scale Length = 600-660 mm (oops)
Width near nut ~ 57 mm

Controls:
Active Tone Filter
Synth/Piezo Concentric Volume
Synth Sound Select
Magnetic Kill Switch

Construction:
Body and Neck: Sitka Spruce with Carbon Durashield
Fretboard: Acrylized Macassar Ebony w/ Stainless Frets

2404420795_8599818864.jpg

Thar she is.

2405246516_2104bb8ef9.jpg

Look how sleek and thin. The guitar is light as a feather!

2404425311_2e61f2a019.jpg

13-Pin Synth Out

2405264934_f5519aa0a7.jpg

Lego Luke Skywalker loves the Carbon Fiber!

2404436825_a4b35a4ac3.jpg

...and approves of the ultra-cool truss-rod cover!

2404436395_ecc5e924a2.jpg

He can even levitate the ultralight body using his lego-force.

2405262572_6a7e0faa12.jpg

Ultra fast sleek neck!

2405250804_f65e99e07b.jpg

Partial fret for microtonal dabbling.

2404424567_1a01705985.jpg

Back

2404440731_7afb277844.jpg

Twins.

:)

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry for spec-ing it out incorrectly. I only measured once, instead of twice.

I didn't even remember about the stainless frets.

The Synth tracks every string. I was a little surprised that my Roland unit tracks the low B so loudly, no matter what sensitivity I set on it, so I had to crank the other strings up a couple notches. I never had a seven string with synth before.

The partial fret gives one the ability to make chromatic runs a little longer without making them end up higher or lower... plus its great for a neutral third or diminished third when you need one in the right key (B, for instance).

Thank you for all of the congradulations.

Oh yeah, the guitar sounds killer, especially in acoustic mode! I've been blown away!

Balsa, eh? Has anyone ever tried that before? You may discover a completely untapped tonewood.

The dead milkmen is supposed to allude to the Monty Python sketch about the seduced milkmen that end up trapped forever.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Bostjan you own two of the coolest guitars on this entire site IMHO. :wub: I was blown away by the silky oak 7 and this 8 is even more awesome if that's possible! Very cool design (love the body shape and overall design Dan :metal:) and materials man. Congrats! :cool:

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've never heard seen a piezo bridge used as a synth out (don't know the appropriate terminology for the system) before. Is there any examples of this application, or how it works? I'm intrigued!

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Synth tracks every string. I was a little surprised that my Roland unit tracks the low B so loudly, no matter what sensitivity I set on it, so I had to crank the other strings up a couple notches. I never had a seven string with synth before.

Something has to be doubled somewhere then, those hexaphonic jacks only send six signals...

Dan, how'd you wire this badboy, I'm VERY curious :agreed:

Papa Shank

Be-otch
Reaction score
Impressive, I especially like the proportions of the design. Now...just got another 6 or so weeks and I should be able to pay up the second half of my ziri v8.1 :D

EDIT- I want to add, I remember back when Dan was showing me his shape for the first 8 and I was kind of like "It looks nice but idk", thinking that it could be a bit boring in the flesh however if/when I go back for another it will be Dans shape because as it's been shown time and time again it is fookin' sexy.

Justin Bailey

Reaction score
I assume he used ghost piezo saddles. oh and by the way, guitar is pure sex, haha, great job Dan, and good going bostjan

The Echthros

Stupid, apparently
Reaction score
congrats all around: a luthier who puts out kickass breath taking instruments time and time again and to the lucky owner, of course.

It probably goes without saying, but here it is anyways: HOW BOUT SOME SOUND CLIPS!

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry for spec-ing it out incorrectly. I only measured once, instead of twice.

Balsa, eh? Has anyone ever tried that before? You may discover a completely untapped tonewood.

No need to apologize! :metal:

Good to hear it's tracking. I couldn't test it with your exact model synth so that was a concern.

Balsa is one of the standard core materials in carbon panels, not sure if it has seen use in this exact application. Carbon/balsa bracing is used in Greg Smallman's lattice bracing. I did once see a foam core electric on a technology show many years ago, but I have no idea what happened to it.

technomancer - 4 of the bridge piezos pass through a '4 into 2' adaptor block. It's all GraphTech Ghost gear with the mini molex plugs so Bostjan can swap which strings go to which output (the 4-2 block came from Mouser). As I sent it the low B and E are output 6, A and D are output 5.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
2406607824_9f491c2867.jpg

Luke...I am your father!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm loving the high A tuning. With the multiscale, regular string gauges seem to hold just fine at that tuning, and it opens up a lot more than the high G tuning I've been using on standard static scale seven strings.

I got to play with a little higher volume levels today. Definately gives a very tight, extremely articulate, aggressive tone. The same pickup with different amp settings can sound pretty lush. I'm going to have to figure out some way to get clips going, but it may take a while for me to get them up.