NGD : Brand New Ibanez MMM1

• Thread starter zack6
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

27InchScale

Contributor
Reaction score
Oh yeah that PRS MM looks great too, too bad that model is not available in my country
Well my dude PM me your email and if I decide to sell (which may be soon) I will give you first shot

soundbase

Reaction score
They awesome guitars. I got a SD Nazgul in the bridge and it sounds pretty good. But yeah they definitely dark guitars. Another option could be the D Activator Neck but in the bridge. Its more medium than hot like the bridge version and the treble's are more pushed up.

I've also just recently scored the PRS Mushok and man both are very different from each other but both great baritones. Im thinking of getting a D Activator Neck for the PRS Mushok to have a super bright tone on it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

soundbase

Reaction score
Hmmm medium output, I was considering dimarzio dActivator, maybe dimarzio fusion edge will work??

You could also try D Activator Neck in the bridge position as its a lower output than the regular bridge D Activator. And also has more treble zo might work well in this dark wood guitar.

I dont know man, as stated before i find it pretty difficult to get the right tone with the bridge pickup but I'm fine with this super 58 neck pickup.

Milchek

Reaction score
So I just got another NOS Ibanez MMM1. Don't know why these NOS guitar listed almost at the same time on some local dealer.

The brand new one has brighter mahogany oil finish (the right one).

Hi, I recently picked one of these up second hand but it only came with some generic gig bag - what hard case fits these? Any S series Ibanez case? What is the case you have in the pic - is it for the MMM1?

hztirf

Reaction score
Nice ones - I still remember when I played a MMM1 at my local dealer somewhere around 2005 (and not having bought it back then :facepalm: ).

General question to the community: Which string set do you prefer on these?

zack6

Reaction score
Wow, not only one NOS you scored two?!?!? I am jealous with blind rage LOL. Man it's hard enough getting my hands on one used....

For your info last time I checked on the dealer where i bought one of these, they still have one in stock.

Hi, I recently picked one of these up second hand but it only came with some generic gig bag - what hard case fits these? Any S series Ibanez case? What is the case you have in the pic - is it for the MMM1?

Well in my case, these guitars come with ibanez hard case but i don't know which model exactly.

zack6

Reaction score
Nice ones - I still remember when I played a MMM1 at my local dealer somewhere around 2005 (and not having bought it back then :facepalm: ).

General question to the community: Which string set do you prefer on these?

I've just put "D'Addario EXL157 Baritone Guitar Strings" which are 14-68, they feel great.

On the new one, I'm still using the factory string which is d'addario 14-74 on A-A standard tuning, and the other one with ernie ball mammoth slinky 12-62 for C# tuning.

Milchek

Reaction score
Well in my case, these guitars come with ibanez hard case but i don't know which model exactly.

Alright, no worries. I'll email Ibanez and just ask them which of their hardcases suit. I imagine any S series case will do, but just want to be sure.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
@zack6: If you want to stick to the big brands, then I'd recommend either a Duncan Nazgul or a Bare Knuckle Black Dog + VH-II combo for the pickup swap.

The Nazgul is a super bright, super crisp, super present pickup with lots of bump in the upper-mid and treble ranges. Much more so if you choose to run it with just a single 500K volume pot and no tone pot, or if you opt for two 1M pots if you want to stick with having both a volume and tone control at your disposal in the circuit. The Nazgul can be a bit sterile (comparable to a EMG 81 almost) in many guitars; however, with its bright qualities, it would balance out in the MMM1 perfectly since the MMM1 is such a dark-sounding guitar with all of the straight-up mahogany + bubinga, along with the standard string-thru design.

The Black Dog is a lot more "gain-y" than BKP plays it up as on their website. It can handle modern metal no problem. But the fact that the pickup is dialed back a wee bit with a more classic/vintage-inspired voicing really helps achieve that note separation (clarity) from your guitar while also making it easy to achieve just the right balance and timing of break-up from your amp without shit going overboard. The Black Dog should definitely be heralded as one of THE go-to pickups for simple, low-tuned, baritone 6-string applications.

And a quick note: as for the VH-II, it's just an all-around, well-loved neck pickup at this point. It's just such a liquid-y, fluid, singing pickup. (And like the Black Dog, it's more "gain-y" than BKP plays it up as on their website.) Players in these groups and forums have dropped a VH-II in the neck of almost any guitar, and it seems to play well with almost any other hot/modern/contemporary BKP bridge pickup. (Nailbomb in the bridge with a VH-II in the neck is a damn "knock-your-socks-off", killer combo.)

hztirf

Reaction score
On the new one, I'm still using the factory string which is d'addario 14-74 on A-A standard tuning, and the other one with ernie ball mammoth slinky 12-62 for C# tuning.
Thank you. I'm wondering right now, if the factory strings were really 14-74. IIRC, they were ~13-56 and B tuning. But maybe I'm completely wrong...

hztirf

Reaction score