NGD Carvin Dc800 Purple quilt

• Thread starter mikernaut
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mikernaut

pixel pusher
Reaction score
Got my 1st 8 string to play with ( also 1st Carvin). I was looking at Carvin's site and saw a purple flame top version which was pretty cool but then I decided to take a peek on Ebay , where I found this.

Even saved a nice chunk of money instead of having to order a new one with a quilt top.

DSCN7594_zps6e201caa.jpg

DSCN7595_zps138a60b3.jpg

DSCN7593_zps420ddea3.jpg

DSCN7605_zpseefda1e2.jpg

DSCN7600_zpsc25edbc1.jpg

DSCN7604_zps53e56fa8.jpg

DSCN7606_zpsd6e2cb44.jpg

DSCN7598_zps158ecf44.jpg

pretty comfy neck profile. I may want to swap the pups out and some point and the stock F# string is pretty flubby currently.

The color is a deep purple the flash on the camera did brighten it up quite a bit.

DC800 owners , do most pickups fit nicely in these routes without much work?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

yuureikun

Reaction score
Good score. The guitar looks amazing.

Are you looking to replace the stock pickups with actives or passives? I put a pair of DiMarzio Dactivator 8s in my DC800 with no issue. And I have seen a few DC800s floating around with EMGs installed. Carvin said that the routes are industry standard active sized routes, so you shouldn't have an issue installing new pickups. At most you may have to clip the mounting ears on some pickups (such as Bareknuckles) if they are a little too large.

mikernaut

pixel pusher
Reaction score
I was thinking passives and doing Bareknuckles or D activator with a PAF neck possibly

As far as my initial impressions with this Carvin I'd say the quality is on par with a USA Jackson. The stainless steel frets feel great on it too.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
I was thinking passives and doing Bareknuckles or D activator with a PAF neck possibly

As far as my initial impressions with this Carvin I'd say the quality is on par with a USA Jackson. The stainless steel frets feel great on it too.

You can direct mount those pickups as is, but you'll have gaps around them. A dude on here has/had this, which has Aftermaths in it. Those are what the gaps will look like.

dc800-1_zps06562794.jpg

If you don't like that, you can get pickup rings from Frets On The Net made (ones that screw into your top, and ones that don't), or you can get 808-sized plastic covers from places like Guitar Jones.

EMGs and the Lace Aluma-bar pickups will fit exactly. EMGs drop right in, and all you have to do for the Laces is drill corner holes in the pickup cavity instead of top and bottom centred.

Looks awesome man, I really really like it with the chrome hardware, I think it sets it off :) I love Carvins, I'm hoping to get either a DC800 or Strictly 7 around summertime.

littledoc

Go meat!
Reaction score
You can direct mount those pickups as is, but you'll have gaps around them. A dude on here has/had this, which has Aftermaths in it. Those are what the gaps will look like.

Holy crap, that looks terrible! Bareknuckle does sell all their p'ups with covers, ja? Personally I think Carvin's actives are incredible and I can't imagine why anyone would want to change them out at all (they worked for Tosin, amiright?) – I'd be more inclined to tweak my amp than go through all that trouble and money.

Also, that's a fabulous axe. I think that might have originally been one from the Guitars-In-Stock page. That quilt is something else.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
Holy crap, that looks terrible! Bareknuckle does sell all their p'ups with covers, ja? Personally I think Carvin's actives are incredible and I can't imagine why anyone would want to change them out at all (they worked for Tosin, amiright?) – I'd be more inclined to tweak my amp than go through all that trouble and money.

I don't think so, dude :noway: Lundgren does, but that's it as far as I know. A lot of guys don't jive with the feel of actives, which I get. Passives get you a lot more versatility, too (as in, you can put crazy high output pickups in or PAFs). I definitely don't think it looks great like that, but I don't mind it. I'd just get pickup covers or rings - pickup covers are gonna look identical, and rings can make passives look even better IMHO.

mikernaut

pixel pusher
Reaction score
The Carvin actives aren't terrible but I have really been more into passive pups the last couple years. Playing with these now I find for rhythm I use the middle position with the neck and bridge engaged to beef up the sound. where as I would usually just use the bridge pup but it just doesn't have that extra "oomph" with this bridge pup.

also I kinda have the urge to put white pups in this . :)

yuureikun

Reaction score

dc800-1_zps06562794.jpg

If you don't like that, you can get pickup rings from Frets On The Net made (ones that screw into your top, and ones that don't), or you can get 808-sized plastic covers from places like Guitar Jones.

EMGs and the Lace Aluma-bar pickups will fit exactly. EMGs drop right in, and all you have to do for the Laces is drill corner holes in the pickup cavity instead of top and bottom centred.

Looks awesome man, I really really like it with the chrome hardware, I think it sets it off :) I love Carvins, I'm hoping to get either a DC800 or Strictly 7 around summertime.

I actually do believe that Guitar Jones is gone now. I remember ordering from them a while back and it took forever just for them to ship my order. I ended up actually cancelling the charge with my credit company before the order even shipped due to not receiving any shipping or order confirmation. It seems that since then the site has closed.

Mojotone is still, however, open! :D

teamSKDM

Reaction score
I say go lace deathbar bridge xbar neck, they're active sized Passive that slay

Wyvern Claw

Reaction score
Nice, somewhat similar to my Carvin.
Armstrong-20121109-00422.jpg

I might change the pickups in mine some time as well, but I definitely think the stock ones are good enough for now. I'm still not even sure exactly what kind of sound I'm looking for out of this guitar and wouldn't know what to switch to anyway.

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
Nice looking Carvin 8! I have mt 3rd one on its way in 3-4 weeks. I dont mind the pickups but will be looking into trying other options soon. Keep in mind that Duncan is putting out a whole line of 8 string pickups in active housings in a couple weeks here :)

mphsc

http://pyramidguitarscompany.com/
Reaction score
there's still three with nice tops on Carvin's site still, must resist...