NGD: Carvin DC800 with playthrough videos

Divitius

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I purchased this DC800 used on reverb.com almost a year ago, and am finally getting around to posting some pictures and videos of it.

I primarily play progressive metal but dabble with other genres as well, and I typically use a higher-gain djent type rhythm tone on my axe-fx 2.

I've definitely put it to good use, and I liked it so much that I recorded all the rhythms on an album that my band Divitius will be releasing soon.

Here is a link to a video with a brief review and some riffs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yC5wHDi-po

I don't know what type of wood the body is but I know that it has a maple top and a flamed maple fretboard, which turned out beautiful in my opinion.

It has Sperzel locking turners, which are really nice, and that was a modification that the previous owner must have done.

The modifications that I made to it was lowering the action at the bridge and nut slightly, and also drilling out the lowest tuning peg to fit a 90 gauge string. I also had a local guitar stop add dunlop strap locks.

The string gauges that we used on this album are 90, 67, 49, 37, 27, 19, 14, 10.5, and the guitar is tuned DADGCFAD.

My band Divitius recently released our first instrumental single, 'Subconscious', and I used the DC800 in a playthrough video that we did of the track. You can check it out here if you are interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qK2uRN3dr4

We also used a Jackson B8 and a Schecter Banshee Elite 8 on the album so I plan to do some more reviews of those and some direct tone comparisons to show the differences.

If you guys dig our tunes, you should check out some other clips we have on the youtube channel. We are a new progressive metal band from Portland, Oregon and combine djent/tech-death/metalcore/ambient sounds. Fans of Born of Osiris, Periphery, After the Burial, Veil of Maya, Northlane, Volumes, and Meshuggah, should check us out, and we've got a lot of content that we are excited to release soon!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

VigilSerus

Guys gals n guitars
Reaction score
Chances are the body is either alder or swamp ash. The top actually looks like figured claro walnut. And the Sperzels are actually stock. Your DC800 is one of the older models before they moved to their own locking tuners and had passive pickup options for the DC800. In any case, HNGD OP!

Divitius

Reaction score
Chances are the body is either alder or swamp ash. The top actually looks like figured claro walnut. And the Sperzels are actually stock. Your DC800 is one of the older models before they moved to their own locking tuners and had passive pickup options for the DC800. In any case, HNGD OP!

Thanks for the info!

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Looks like walnut to me too, but I only say that cause I really wanted a Carvin with a walnut top for a while. IMO their walnut tops look amazing. All the walnut Carvin GAS is returning.

:yesway:

Latest posts