NGD: Carvin SH60 Figured Claro Walnut Burst (Metaled out Tele)

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hey guys. I've been on a bit of a semi-hollow kick lately after playing some of the PRS and G&L ones at my shop and really loving the light-weight and added resonance. However I wanted one that was a bit more 'metal' and had specs more to my liking (24 frets, 14" radius, etc). Alas, here it is. I'll be honest Carvin has disappointed me in the past with a few duds they sent me, but this guitar is absolutely perfect. It sounds and feels great, even stock. That said some black satin covered BKPs are on the way for this and it's been tuned to B standard. I also love how it doesn't feedback at all with high-gain settings, which is a concern I had going into it.

Specs

5-Piece Walnut Neck w/ 2 maple stripes
Mahogany Wings
Ebony Fingerboard
24 Stainless Steel frets
14" Fretboard Radius
Super thin neck shape
Multi-layered body binding
No Inlays
Black hardware
Sperzel Locking Tuners
Figured Claro Walnut Top w/ Black Burst edges
Satin finish throughout
Stock Pickups (soon to have BKP Holydivers)

Pics

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
I like the top on it. Congrats Nick!

Will you do a sound demo of one? I would like to hear how the BKPs sound through a semi hallow, especially with some distortion on it.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I like the top on it. Congrats Nick!

Will you do a sound demo of one? I would like to hear how the BKPs sound through a semi hallow, especially with some distortion on it.

Sure no problem, I'll whip up a sound demo of it once I get the pickups installed. It sounds really nice even stock, I really love it.

SYLrules88

I play drums!
Reaction score
aahh, another gorgeous carvin w/ claro top and blackburst! its going to be difficult for me not to do that to my next carvin, but i really want something different than my dc800.

:yesway:

no_dice

a very bad old bear
Reaction score
So many gorgeous teles popping up lately! It's making me want to go home and play mine. That's a great looking guitar! Can't wait to hear clips. :yesway:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I've always been a sucker for the Tele shape but always hated the specs, headstock, single coils, etc. This thing rips! And the Semi-Hollow factor just pushes it over the edge. It sounds huge, resonate and vibrant, deep and punchy, but with great attack. I love the 14" radius and stainless steel frets. Plays so smooth.

I carry G&L at my store and they make a great product too, but they're all bolt-ons and the most they can do is a 12" radius. I really dig this better for my needs. Very happy with it!

PS: The thing I like so much better on the SH60 than on their DC models is the bridge. The DC727s have this Fender-like fixed bridge that I feel has kind of rough edges that dig into your hand, just doesn't feel nice. This recessed Tone Pros style feels so much better. I wish their 7s would use that bridge (or just a Hipshot), and also thinner necks like this. But thats just my $.02

troyguitar

Reaction score
I like it. I've been looking into ordering a semi-hollow this week myself, most likely from Carvin or Warmoth.

s4tch

Reaction score
Dear Lord, that's one of the nicest Teles I've ever seen, and being a Carvin, it must play like a dream, too.

A kidney, anyone?

drenz

Reaction score
looks incredible, and i love the added class of the f-hole. would love to see pictures of the neck and back also if possible!

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
looks incredible, and i love the added class of the f-hole. would love to see pictures of the neck and back also if possible!

Sure I'll post pics of the back, can't believe I forgot that. Coming up later today :)

troyguitar

Reaction score
Hmm, it seems like the SH60 is somehow way cheaper than the SH250. I actually prefer the 250 body shape and 22 frets (I'd be playing more mellow stuff, don't need 24) but the pricing sure makes the SH60 more attractive.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
As promised, here are some shots of the back of the guitar:

06.jpg

07.jpg

slowro

Drunken Scot
Reaction score
LORD!
Carvins don't usually get me excited but that should come with NSFW in the title