NGD - Charvel Guthrie Govan

• Thread starter JSanta
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JSanta

Reaction score
I've been going through guitars lately, shedding some (all) of my relatively expensive pieces to try out different guitars. I've been a massive Guthrie fan since hearing Erotic Cakes back in 2006 and ordering a copy from Cornford records back then. I've even been using his Red Bear signature picks the past year. So it was only a matter of time before I picked this guitar up. IMG_20180709_185030_181.jpg IMG_20180709_185030_179.jpg IMG_20180710_073540_902.jpg IMG_20180710_073540_903.jpg

For me, this guitar is basically perfect. I've been playing Strats for the past year or so and this guitar has an incredibly Strat-like neck to it. Plays like a dream, even after it shipped from TX to NY during a crazy heatwave. The neck didn't budge at all.

And this is the best smelling guitar I've ever owned

I'm not a big collector, I want guitars that will regularly get played, and this one covers almost every base. I wish this one had the coil tap switch, but I suppose thatst why I should get another one!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MickD7

Reaction score
Nice! I love these models, I hope you enjoy it. The store I used to work at must have sold 4 or 5 of these in the end before I left and each one of them was extremely well built.

The pickups, the term and the neck are amazing. And they do have a smell that is pleasing like you said.

Pat

Reaction score
And this is the best smelling guitar I've ever owned

That made me chuckle, I've never thought of smelling my guitars.

Guitar looks incredible, I love the roasted neck. Nice that it's not blatantly obvious that it's a signature model too - very understated and classy!

JSanta

Reaction score

Guitar looks incredible, I love the roasted neck. Nice that it's not blatantly obvious that it's a signature model too - very understated and classy!

My flat top has this lovely inherently pleasant smell due to the finish and materials. Whatever finish Charvel is using on this guitar just has this sublime, wood shop type scent.

It's a fantastic guitar, really perfect for me in terms of playability and sound.

xzacx

Reaction score

It's not even an active thing with these - you can just smell it without even trying hahah.

Every time I see one of these I question why I ever let go of mine. Such a great guitar with one of the best feeling necks I've ever owned. I'm sure I'll end up getting another some day.

secretpizza

Reaction score
Awesome guitar, congrats! I had one of these and I also find myself wondering why I ever sold it. They're really fantastic and versatile guitars.

mastapimp

Reaction score
It's not even an active thing with these - you can just smell it without even trying hahah.

Every time I see one of these I question why I ever let go of mine. Such a great guitar with one of the best feeling necks I've ever owned. I'm sure I'll end up getting another some day.

I keep mine in the case when i'm not playing it and it does have a noticeable smell when you remove it. There's no thick lacquer clear coat on these, so it's likely the oil/stain residuals. Doesn't smell bad, but it was an unexpected quality when receiving a new guitar.

Dyingsea

Reaction score
Always loved the Govans from his Suhr to the Charvel. I just wish the offered a hardtail. Congrats!

JSanta

Reaction score
Always loved the Govans from his Suhr to the Charvel. I just wish the offered a hardtail. Congrats!

With the Tremol-no, it's like having a hard tail. I really like that feature.

Andrew Lloyd Webber

Super Duper Moduraturr
Reaction score
+1 on the smell. New Carvin/Kiesel guitars have similar smells when new in the case.

JSanta

Reaction score
I've been playing this guitar non-stop for the past week and I'm just floored at how great it is. I've been really fortunate to have had several great guitars over the years and this one is as good or better than anything I've had.