NGD: Charvel MIJ So-Cal, No Pesky Neck Pickup

• Thread starter jrstinkfish
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jrstinkfish

Reaction score
Got this in a trade a couple of months ago, MIJ Charvel So-Cal, but since I'd planned to install a new single-humbucker pickguard, just figured I'd hold off on the NGD until I got around to it. The original pickguard was modified with a tone pot by some previous owner, and whoever did it squashed it right up against the volume, which was a real pain the ass, since you could barely get your hand in there to turn the volume down. Now we're back to the original one-knob spec, minus a pickup and a pickup selector :) Came with an Invader installed in the bridge, and a Dimarzio Evolution in the neck, but I thought an X2N would suit me better.

If it was a hardtail, it'd be perfect :yum: Super hard to get good pictures of a guitar with this white/black contrast, this was my third (and only successful) photo session! Dora says hello to you all in the last pic.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
Fkin SWEEEEEEEEET!

Love the look, love the vibe, love the colour scheme, love the non-floating Floyd, love the X2N, love the cat...

:metal:

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
Such a rad guitar! Beware, if you don't know already, Charvels are addictive.

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
I'm such a sucker for those Charvels! This one is so cool! Congrats and enjoy! :)

smucarolina

King of the Chatroom
Reaction score
Very nice! If you ever want a backup I recommend the jim root strat. Hardtail Strat with one volume knob.

redlol

Reaction score
damn nice guitar and even better cat. More pics of the cat please, he/she has some interesting fur patterns I'd like to see more of. I just have boring black and white cats.

s4tch

Reaction score
<-- that's a jelly guy right there. Great guitar, welcome mods, and I also agree that it could be even better with a hardtail. Congrats!

59Bassman

Contributor
Reaction score
Very sweet setup. Those are great guitars!

In the 80's, I longed for a Jackson or Charvel custom guitar. A couple years ago I bought a MIJ So Cal from the same series as yours, but mine is blue. The pickup combo I'd always wanted is a hum-single. Mine's a little busier than yours, but plenty of room for the picking hand, and a DeMartini/Lynch/Wilton/DeGarmo approved rig now!

jclogston

Reaction score
Very sweet setup. Those are great guitars!

In the 80's, I longed for a Jackson or Charvel custom guitar. A couple years ago I bought a MIJ So Cal from the same series as yours, but mine is blue. The pickup combo I'd always wanted is a hum-single. Mine's a little busier than yours, but plenty of room for the picking hand, and a DeMartini/Lynch/Wilton/DeGarmo approved rig now!

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the custom pickguard that fits? I have a MIJ So Cal and want the same pu config...

thanks

jeff

59Bassman

Contributor
Reaction score
Pickguard is a Warmoth, and it "mostly" fits. I had to enlarge a couple of the pickguard screw holes, and at least one of the screws is in at an angle now, but you can't tell from a distance. Also, you don't need the "fat" humbucker option for an F-spaced unit. I got the "fat" option and have a fair amount of space between the bobbins and plastic now. I used the original pickguard as a template, and the Warmoth was ordered without volume or selector knobs - I drilled my own. Get the Floyd bridge cut for sure.

All that said, it still looks like a million bucks and draws significant compliments.

jrstinkfish

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'm really happy with it.

I was hesitant about getting FR guitar, and honestly had planned to take this trade and unload the Charvel if I didn't like it. But a strange thing happened when I gripped that sweet neck for the first time :) Very cool guitar. Can't say I'll keep it forever, but it's got a home for now.

I considered a Warmoth pickguard like the one above, but got scared away by all the "It may fit, it may not fit" comments during my Googling. Instead, I bought my pickguard from Pickguardian. Took about a month from sending it off to receiving the pickguard (holiday delay probably), but since I sent him the old pickguard, he was able to make it a perfect match.

Dora, like the guitar, is hard to photograph well, she's usually just a dark blob with eyes. Here she is now, sitting behind me on my chair, forcing me to sit on the edge because ... well ... I dunno why, it's my chair dammit! (Edit: Yes, I need a new chair!)

jclogston

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'm really happy with it.

I was hesitant about getting FR guitar, and honestly had planned to take this trade and unload the Charvel if I didn't like it. But a strange thing happened when I gripped that sweet neck for the first time :) Very cool guitar. Can't say I'll keep it forever, but it's got a home for now.

I considered a Warmoth pickguard like the one above, but got scared away by all the "It may fit, it may not fit" comments during my Googling. Instead, I bought my pickguard from Pickguardian. Took about a month from sending it off to receiving the pickguard (holiday delay probably), but since I sent him the old pickguard, he was able to make it a perfect match.

Dora, like the guitar, is hard to photograph well, she's usually just a dark blob with eyes. Here she is now, sitting behind me on my chair, forcing me to sit on the edge because ... well ... I dunno why, it's my chair dammit!

Hmm, I wonder if Pickguardian still has your template?

jrstinkfish

Reaction score
Good question. Wouldn't hurt to ask him. I received it last month, so it's not like a lot of time has passed. He probably did keep it around since he wasn't sure he had one when I wrote him initially, which is why I sent him my old guard. Just tell him the guy who ordered the single-humbucker guard for his MIJ Charvel (Scott from Memphis) sent ya! That info should narrow it down, unless he's doing hundreds a day :)

jclogston

Reaction score
Good question. Wouldn't hurt to ask him. I received it last month, so it's not like a lot of time has passed. He probably did keep it around since he wasn't sure he had one when I wrote him initially, which is why I sent him my old guard. Just tell him the guy who ordered the single-humbucker guard for his MIJ Charvel (Scott from Memphis) sent ya! That info should narrow it down, unless he's doing hundreds a day :)

will give it try, thanks for the info!!!