NGD - Double USA HS reverse headstock Suhr Gutierrez shredders

ihunda

Reaction score
Ah ah, finally getting to post that NGD! I got this great Gutierrez juggernaut from teddy_baca here a few weeks ago, it came with a EMG 81/SA combo, at first I switched to a 89/SA with coil split as in the picture below:

2015-05-27%2016.19.46.jpg

But I received that amazing Suhr modern last week and the original shur pickups (Aldritch & ML) were lying around in the case, so I couldn’t resist drilling a new hole for a tone pot on the Juggernaut and installing these and going full passive FTW!

Suhr%20gutierrez-3.jpg

Suhr%20gutierrez-3-2.jpg

Suhr%20gutierrez-5.jpg

Suhr%20gutierrez-6.jpg

SO let’s talk about them,

First the gutierrez, I know it was going to be a good guitar but it really is beyond my expectation, great, fast neck, amazing neck joint (see picture), my first time with EVO frets and I dig them. The wenge fretboard is smooth and fast and I like the wenge neck, wenge body combo, classy :agreed:

I am used to the original floyd rose so no surprise on the tremolo side although my preference goes to an edge or Gotoh.
The guitar was sounding very thin with the 81 in the bridge, going 89 (which is an 85+single coil) really fixed the sound, great presence and body without flub. Plus it gave convincing strat tone once split and mixed with the SA neck pickup.

One think to note is that the cavity wiring was a bit sloppy, I ripped everything off to install the passives anyway though.

And now the Suhr modern, it starts off where the Gutierrez stopped and pushes up a notch with the great gotoh floyd and beautiful, effortless compound radius, birdseye roasted maple neck and fretboard. Plus all the bling and beauty that comes from a great figured top and matching reverse headstock. Pickups are Dimarzio PAF Pro and Pro Track, perfect for shredding! It didn't disappoint, as always with my experience with Suhr.

Frankly, both play great and sound great, I am finding myself picking up the juggernaut more just because it costs 3 times less and I don’t want to scratch that Suhr, I know it's a bit stupid :fawk:

I recommend snatching a Juggernaut the next time you see one used if you’re looking for a superstrat with no bling, these are great players!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ihunda

Reaction score
Thanks steinmetzify, yes, that Jugg is a sick guitar for the price, I've been lucky these days, between this one and the Pacifica I got recently, It confirms that the used market is full of GEMs!

xzyryabx

Reaction score
They all look great!
What's the covered cavity below the neck pup on the black one for?

ihunda

Reaction score
What's the covered cavity below the neck pup on the black one for?

Well, it's a bit odd but it's not a cavity, that's how the pickup route is cut out.
Maybe it has something to do with the neck attachment but I am not too sure.

SammerX

Reaction score
Well, it's a bit odd but it's not a cavity, that's how the pickup route is cut out.
Maybe it has something to do with the neck attachment but I am not too sure.

Looks to me like that is the wood of the neck actually?

Very cool guitars! I reaaaaaaally dig the Suhr!

xzyryabx

Reaction score
Looks to me like that is the wood of the neck actually?

Very cool guitars! I reaaaaaaally dig the Suhr!

I think you're right....the neck pup seems to be set right into the neck wood...

Jujex

Reaction score
Off topic but that top on your Suhr is like a carbon copy of my J custom but in Pinkish red! Love it.

I will start looking for a Gutierrez's with a good price form now on as well!!:yesway::yesway: